Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
so it's not right for you to rat on a colleague? the same colleague who expects YOU to pay for his road tax, who would let YOU foot the bill if he crashed into you as he has no insurance, who expects YOU to pay his girlfriend's benefits even though he lives with her?

i'd report the ****** in a flash

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yeah and i will be doing monday morning, but until then i havent got the details that are required, they want names dates, car reg, make model, surely a name to the police station would be easier??

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
It was quoted on a TV programme (can't remember which one, but it was within the last few weeks) on the increasing division between rich and poor, and how we are creating sucessive generations of families who have never worked..It may have been Unemployed and/or on benefits..and it may even have been a government minister who said it..female I seem to recall. They were also highlighting the massive increase in people on 'incapacity benefit'..an increase of something like 500% in 15 years, which is clearly indicative of something else going on as health levels have not deteriorated to that extent..if at all. Can't fill in more, but it shocked me to hear it, but then as I go into at least eight council houses every day of my working life, it was not that surprising to hear as there are loads here who do not work, and Boston is an area with excellent employment prospects compared with, Liverpool, Tyneside, Glasgow etc. Thousands of foreigners have found jobs here in Lincolnshire, so there was no shortage of work, and yet we still find whole families here where nobody works.

AlfaLincs
This is correct I remember listening to the report and thy stated that their has been a drastic decline in the number of people in council houses working and that they were going to start making people state that they are looking for work before being allowed a council house.

And quietly ask him about his MOT and insurance and if he looks a bit dodgy - grass him up, we pay on average £30 extra on insurance premiums to pay for accidents involving uninsured drivers.

·
Registered
926 Posts
He deserves everything coming to him,but you could find its all a waste of time!Relative of mine is an investigator for benefits fraud.At court last week,with a rock solid case.Case before his was a lorry driver who threw a used tissue out his window.Fined £250!!Probably a weeks wages to this guy!Up comes my relatives fraud case.He's been working on this for months,building up a rock solid case against a fraudster who has STOLEN £7500 in benefits she wasn't entitled to.Guess what she got?2 years conditional discharge!!!!!In other words-nothing!!My relative was ready to resign over this.Why should he even bother trying to do his job if some head-in-the-clouds magistrate is going to let these fraudsters walk away without even a slap on the wrist!:mad:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
It's all to easy to say "grass him up" especially from the distant comfort of an armchair. problem is would YOU grass up if boot were on other foot?

I've struggled with just such a dilemna with a friend who drink-drives. he's an alcoholic (which isn't an excuse) and I've tried dozens of times to encourage him to seek help but he refuses to admit he has a problem and who's only response is to say "I can handle it, no probs.."

I've been on the verge of ringing the Police several times - last summer he got into his car after a BBQ with his step son and new partner after having a skinfull - and I was furious, both with him and his partner (she was sober!!). But I just couldn't bring myself to report him. If he got caught he'd lose his job and his family would suffer, but he could also kill someone if he isn't stopped.

It ain't easy when it's close to home, guys.

It's torture. I tell you.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
They were also highlighting the massive increase in people on 'incapacity benefit'..an increase of something like 500% in 15 years, which is clearly indicative of something else going on as health levels have not deteriorated to that extent..if at all.
Well, if you're incapable of work, you're not adding to the unemployment figures. A bit like knocking anything that goes up in price off your measurements to keep inflation seem low.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
How the hell did you make the leap from driving an untaxed car to drunk driving? :confused:

Personally, I have 'grassed up' someone a few doors down my road who persistently drove an untaxed car. I thought about it long and hard, but when it went on for nearly 8 months and I had to renew mine in the meantime, it had to be done.
And all from the comfort of my armchair and done anonymously. :p

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
What some might call 'Grassing Up'

Some might say your being a good Citizen....

The issue of the road Tax, you could take advisement from the companies HR department...(confidential)

The HR department should then advise the person to sort out his Tax or not be permitted to bring his vehicle to work...or the company could be held liable...and face a costly court battle...which they would lose.

As for the girlfriend and her situation - that is a judgement call again on what you feel is fair and being a good citizen...

Good luck..:D

Chris

E

·
0 Posts
Will - why don't you promise yourself that you'll go and visit the wife/husband/mother/whatever of whoever this guy kills and explain to them how hard to was to put a stop to it ?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
It's all to easy to say "grass him up" especially from the distant comfort of an armchair. problem is would YOU grass up if boot were on other foot?

I've struggled with just such a dilemna with a friend who drink-drives. he's an alcoholic (which isn't an excuse) and I've tried dozens of times to encourage him to seek help but he refuses to admit he has a problem and who's only response is to say "I can handle it, no probs.."

I've been on the verge of ringing the Police several times - last summer he got into his car after a BBQ with his step son and new partner after having a skinfull - and I was furious, both with him and his partner (she was sober!!). But I just couldn't bring myself to report him. If he got caught he'd lose his job and his family would suffer, but he could also kill someone if he isn't stopped.

It ain't easy when it's close to home, guys.

It's torture. I tell you.

Will I am afraid its not....:(

Some parents have had to inform the police that there child might be implicated in Murder or a shooting...or rape....etc.

That is tough....but they did the right thing...

In this instance...your not, and using a weak argument I am afraid...:(

You know deep inside you should put an end to this guys madness...

Chris

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I accept I'm wrong guys - I can't argue on that basis.

The point I make is how hard it is to actually do it. It's like whistleblowing - we all know it's the right thing to do, but as soon as someone does it:

He's abandoned by his colleagues
he's abandoned by his employer

He's on a hiding to nothing other than his own concience.

I learned very painfully on this a very long time ago. I went to a RC primary school with extremely high moral principles which we all had to adhere to - if the teacher asked who had caused mischief we had no alternative but to point to the miscreants- and everybody accepted that. There was no "come back" - you just got on with it.

When I went up to secondary school I got a hell of a rude awakening: A spitting session ensued and when the teacher walked in she was furious and demanded to know who the participants were......yes you guessed it, up went Will's hand etc, etc.

The most surprised and disgusted person of all was the teacher herself.....what a miserable little grassing scrote I was, according to her....

You can imagine how "popular" I become after that..........

So you see guys, it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
SORRY GIRLS /GUYS.
But when will you all wake up too the
fact that the minority
will in the end rule over all.
There can be no place
for sitting on fences for you
if you were too read that a person
you knowingly drove or drank
whilst driving their car
without tax/ins,or drank too much.
Had killed a person.
a person you may or may not know.
Laws have been created,
on the whole for the
greater good of the majority.

I guess, you must think that my
my life has been dull, living by the rules.
But I feel it`s has been worthwhile.
Though I do worry,
for the future of my grandchildren,
So I guess for their sake
I`m asking you to,
Stand up and be counted
for the majority.

John.

E

·
0 Posts
I'm nit suggesting it's easy, Will far from it.

Good luck with it anyway.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I think the best I can do in this case is to approach him and tell him that if I ever suspect that he drinks and drives again I'll have no alternative but to report him.

I have to say I was shocked at his partner. She really ought to have insisted on driving - heck it was her son in the back seat. problem there of course is she's living in denial! But I should also have ran out to the car and said something, I've felt guilty about that ever since.

Any of you guys going to admit to "whistleblowing" on your friends?

No pressure mind, just intereseted to see if your hand has ever been in that particular fire.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I.

Any of you guys going to admit to "whistleblowing" on your friends?

No pressure mind, just intereseted to see if your hand has ever been in that particular fire.
Hi,
Will,:)
Not quite whistle blowing.
just a stand up argument
ending with me throwing my friends car keys
in my fish pond,
followed by me and my friend,
we still laugh at it now.
whenever one is in his cups the word,
fishpond, seems too produce howls of
laughter.
guess thats true friendship.