Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days' worth this week because the camera batteries went flat early yesterday.

Out one was yesterday where we went to a local nature reserve once again within spitting distance of the M60. It's called Clifton Country Park and the marina was created when earth was excavated to build the embankment for the M60.

Wherever we go, a crossing of the Irwell is usually required.

The Irwell sculpture trail runs through the park. This is basically a footpath featuring some scultupres. This is one, more will follow later.

Under rather than over the M60 today.

Despite being in a country park, Manchester's industrial heart is never far away. How many regular M60 drivers have passed this a million times?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That was yesterday. This afternoon we took in some of the route the long-defunct East Lancashire railway took.

More sculptures.

This one is to commemorates the men who lost their lives building the railway.

The railway was operated by the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway company.

The Outwood station platform remains in place. Trains from this one are only marginally less frequent than they are at the station I use every day.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the best bit, but hard to photograph from the path itself.

Sadly some of the residents of Radcliffe are a bit speshul and decided to vandalise their millenium project.

Fantastic viaduct carrying the road over the railway. You can just about make out that the opening at one end is taller and wider than the other.

Other remnants of the railway.

Somewhere in here there are deer. In over 10 years of walking and cycling these paths I've seen them once.

Full set of pics is here (along with a stack of other rubbish):

Pictures by keithyboy - Photobucket

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once again, despite being apparently in the middle of nowhere, urban Manchester is never far away. That Scooby looks like a skim of filler sould see it right.

Effectively the whole area my pictures cover are surrounded by built up areas, notably Salford, Bolton, Radcliffe, Bury, Whitefield and Prestwich.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
nice pics keith. the remnants of an old railway line go through my neck of the woods as well, about 100yds from my house. you probably know it - it's part of the kirklees trail - it goes from just outside bury all the way out to greenmount and is locally known as 'the lines'

there used to be the remains of a really interesting old mill complex down there in the woods way off the beaten track (great for mountain biking) but sadly it got wiped out about 5 years ago to make way for yet another faceless housing estate

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only just saw this, I love photos that have a bit of history to them :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to the banks of the mighty river Irwell this week.

Firstly the generic nature park pics

Have you sussed that I have a thing about bridges yet?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking all of the above into account you might think that this area has been like this forever but there used to be a bleach works and a manor house here. Agecroft colliery and power station was here too and they only stopped working 20 years ago.

This is all that remains of Irwell House which belonged to another textile magnate then became a smallpox hospital.

Apart from this and a few random bits of brickwork, you would never know.

Forest Bank prison stands on the site now.

Finally we head home past the railway viaduct.

The aqueduct can be seen through the arch here.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More cracking photos, it is amazing how quickly nature can take over again.

·
Administrator
45,293 Posts
Once again, despite being apparently in the middle of nowhere, urban Manchester is never far away. That Scooby looks like a skim of filler sould see it right.
Damn it Keithyboy! I spent about ten minutes scouring the first picture in that post before giving up, scrolling down, and realising that you were talking about that one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts