Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't answer classified ads ??????????????

Can't contact member support ???????????????

Can't get forum member discounts ???????????????

Maximum 5 messages ?????????????????????

WTF ???? What's all this exclusivity about, it’s bollards! Go study the FIAT Forum, free for all, no restrictions, no exclusivity, all are equal, someone’s got to be having a laugh or just taking the urine!

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Your having a laugh right?

The Fiat Forum is rubbish. I say that because I got an infraction for posting a for sale advert in the wrong place.

By the way if you want AO member discounts, member support and more message storage you have to pay for a membership. Fair enough I say. :rolleyes:

K

·
0 Posts
I must admit that the 5 pms things is very slightly annoying (but only very slightly, and annoying isn't exactly the right word. I would compare to the label in a cheap t-shirt that irritates your neck but not sifficiently that you remove it.). I could join up proper to resolve this but once had a nasty experience with with the Capri Owners Club and a group of men with mullets and dubious clothes so am a bit nervous about such things.

The rest if it seems perfectly fine to me. Not replying to classifeds has worked on other forums so they don't end up full of crap saying "Nice car, wish I could afford it", "I'd have bought that if I'd seen it last week" "My uncle Bernard used to have one of those".

If you don't like it, go elsewhere or start your own forum delivering those things and run it for free. Simples.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pay up where? Sorry chaps I misunderstood. I thought these forums were for the good of all. On the FIAT forum members worked with vendors/suppliers to get everyone on the forums discount. I negotiated some discounts on there for Devil exhausts, Motorsportworld and an insurance company too, I didn't ask for a fee, I did it for the good of the membership. Next you'll be asking for a fee to answer technical questions. Or have I misunderstood the concept? Funding comes from sponsors/adverts/banners, maybe I've got it all wrong???

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit that the 5 pms things is very slightly annoying (but only very slightly, and annoying isn't exactly the right word. I would compare to the label in a cheap t-shirt that irritates your neck but not sifficiently that you remove it.). I could join up proper to resolve this but once had a nasty experience with with the Capri Owners Club and a group of men with mullets and dubious clothes so am a bit nervous about such things.

The rest if it seems perfectly fine to me. Not replying to classifeds has worked on other forums so they don't end up full of crap saying "Nice car, wish I could afford it", "I'd have bought that if I'd seen it last week" "My uncle Bernard used to have one of those".

If you don't like it, go elsewhere or start your own forum delivering those things and run it for free. Simples.
I'm quite happy with the peple on the forum, advice, help, etc. It's the forum format that is annoying, and yes, 5 messages is more annoying than the label in your cheap t-shirt.

Guys, guys, relax, this part of the forum is for rants, so I'm ranting..................

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Funding comes from sponsors/adverts/banners

Where are these then ?.
I notice that they are not bombarding me and therefore I'm happy.
I joined not for discount etc but because this is a nice place to be populated by nice people (with the odd self destructive exception) who all share a common interest and I thought it would be good to contribute to its future success. :thumbs:

The 5 PMs was inconvenient but workable.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, apologies, had a bad day, it's an excellent forum, thanks.

No more ranting...........................................

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Funding comes from sponsors/adverts/banners, maybe I've got it all wrong???
Alfaowner has a distinct lack of adverts/pop ups. Makes it quite a nice site IMO. If there wasn't paying members this would not be the case. It's just the way the site was envisaged and I can't see it changing in the near future.
Fair enough rant though. The PM limit is very annoying.
I am a paid up member due to the fact that all the technical advise I have received has more than paid for the membership. I consider it a donation in my head:D

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Pay up where? Sorry chaps I misunderstood. I thought these forums were for the good of all. On the FIAT forum members worked with vendors/suppliers to get everyone on the forums discount. I negotiated some discounts on there for Devil exhausts, Motorsportworld and an insurance company too, I didn't ask for a fee, I did it for the good of the membership. Next you'll be asking for a fee to answer technical questions. Or have I misunderstood the concept? Funding comes from sponsors/adverts/banners, maybe I've got it all wrong???
There is no such thing as a free lunch, and AO is not a utopian collective. The funding that comes from memberships traders etc has only just this year covered the cost of running the site ( if my information is correct, please correct me if i am wrong)

As far as i am concerned I like the way that AO is run, have no problem paying a small fee for member benifits and added functionallity and quite like the fact that there are no banners, pop ups or other forms of obtrusive funding.

"You pays your money and takes your choice" (or not, as the case may be )

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Alfaowner has a distinct lack of adverts/pop ups. Makes it quite a nice site IMO. If there wasn't paying members this would not be the case. It's just the way the site was envisaged and I can't see it changing in the near future.
Fair enough rant though. The PM limit is very annoying.
I am a paid up member due to the fact that all the technical advise I have received has more than paid for the membership. I consider it a donation in my head:D
There is no such thing as a free lunch, and AO is not a utopian collective. The funding that comes from memberships traders etc has only just this year covered the cost of running the site ( if my information is correct, please correct me if i am wrong)

As far as i am concerned I like the way that AO is run, have no problem paying a small fee for member benifits and added functionallity and quite like the fact that there are no banners, pop ups or other forms of obtrusive funding.

"You pays your money and takes your choice" (or not, as the case may be )

Between these points, is why I paid to help run the site, to keep it great, then become a Rep to help local members.

I saw the limitations of being a non-member and an incentive to join.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I don't understand people who constantly carp on about how AO is not being run
the way they expect it to be. And not in a constructive but a very negative manner.

AO has evolved over some years now into an entity. It is as it is now because people
have taken time to work with the admin team to turn it into what most of us find to
be a very enjoyable way to spend your time.

It does not have to suit everybody and nor will it ever be likely to do so. It suceeds in
satisfying most of its members most of the time and that is admirable.

But simply standing in the middle of the room and shouting 'I'm not happy because I'm
not getting my way' is at best rather purile and at worst downright ignorant. If you do
not feel the forum suits your every need then by all means outline areas that can be
improved to the administrators who can try and help or go to the place that does suit
your needs.

Slagging the forum off will not endear someone to any of the many satisfied members.

We all positively welcome positive people :thumbs:

R

·
0 Posts
I joined up on a freebie and received very good free advice straight away that saved me about £200, have also saved more by using the tech advice given, and by following the many "how to" guides on AO to do my own work...........plus, no ads, pop ups etc...........£25 a small price to pay don't you think :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts