Alfa Romeo Forum banner

The Telex

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Telex was like a precursor to Prestel/BTGold.

Each machine could talk directly to any other via a number/alphabetical address.
Telegram you had to go to the post office (or call the GPO?) to get one sent.
Which would then turn up in the normal post IIRC.

On the Telex usually you typed the message onto a mini puched paper tape and then streamed
the tape to send the message.

I still send faxes occasionally. And in France they are still used as legally they can be considered
a legal document for sales contract purposes but not emails, I believe.

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
Telegram you had to go to the post office (or call the GPO?) to get one sent.
Which would then turn up in the normal post IIRC.
Ah, yes that would make sense, in the films, there's always a clerk who morses (the 1870s equivalent of texting....) the message down the wires and I guess that had to be done at the GPO, as initially only they would have had the money to be able to invest in the infrastructure / equipment.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Confirming my crumbly oldness. Yes, I've seen a couple. My dad's little packing firm had one and I even found some old messages in his papers. Also, when I first started at Markem they had one in a special room. The postman would deliver your message to you and (I think) we had a special form for getting the operator to send out messages.

:eek:

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
I have had them thrust into my expectant hands in the dim and distant past but I never saw the machine the produced them.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Used them when I worked on IBM 360 series mainframes. We had one at a computer bureau I worked at in London, we also had branches elsewhere and so did Ann Summers! So one night shift we sent a telex to Ann Summers but gave the name of an operator at one of the other facilities. We later received a telex from him saying he didn't mind so much but when the Ann Summers people asked him for his "size" so that could provide the correct Corona Extension Piece he drew the line!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts