Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone has browsed this months Evo .The basic premise of the cover story was they group tested several Warm hatches Twingo 133, 500Abarth(135 bhp) ,A1 Mini Cooper ,Suziki Swift ,Seat all around the 15 k mark they then suggested a series of different used cars available at the roughly the same price Honda NSX , Maserati 4200 , Porsche 996 and M5 in fairness to the article they pointed the risks and some indicative running costs .

I defy anyone to read it and not go straight to the classified :)

So what would you do?...........

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
My mate has just bought a 2001 M5 for £5.5k!

I haven't been in it yet but it's supposed to be ridiculous :lol:

150k on the clock but still runs sweet as a nut.

He doesn't realise that Kumho tyres fitted to his previous 520 aren't upto the job of 500bhp through the rears :lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I haven't read it yet but that's a popular game we've all indulged in at sometime.

You have to say that those performance bargains look so tempting but in reality most people end up acknowledging it's the running costs that kill you and if you were in the market for one of those warm hatches at £15k then it is almost certainly your main car rather than a toy.

Still fun to think about and that list you gave is drool-worthy.

·
Administrator
45,540 Posts
I've always gone down the road of saving a ton by buying a car second hand, and accepting that running costs will be higher because I've bought a much nicer car than I would have otherwise got.

It's a balance that I'm more than comfortable with - as long as I can actually afford the higher running costs!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I've always gone down the road of saving a ton by buying a car second hand, and accepting that running costs will be higher because I've bought a much nicer car than I would have otherwise got.

It's a balance that I'm more than comfortable with - as long as I can actually afford the higher running costs!
Yes, I accept that works and I always used to do that myself. I meant when the gulf in car type is so great as the examples and given that the warm hatch new buyer is almost certainly only able to afford that kind of car's running costs.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
There must be quite a 'bit' of difference in cost for running a FWD BMW (sorry I can't call it the other word) or an NSX

Not really a good comparison imo

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
There must be quite a 'bit' of difference in cost for running a FWD BMW (sorry I can't call it the other word) or an NSX

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I was constantly looking at Maserati 3200GT's the boomerang lights edition, before I bought these two Alfas (the two Alfas were still cheaper though)! I know that, that Ferrari engine would be quite strong but for everyday use even in my limited 12k a year I just know I could not afford the fuel and maintenance.
Would have ended up buying something really cheap and then had two bloody lemons to run at weekends :lol:

They do look flippin good VFM though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still trying to get a new job but once i do I will have the opportunity to ditch the company Golf .I will see again if the car allowance route adds up .

Usually in my porfession it is either car allowance of x a month which has to pay for purchase maintenance insurance v Dull company car list which also costs in tax the golf costs me about £80 a month in tax .

It may come down to cost of money car leasing /finance v Cost of Loan

I feel I should get something interesting at least that is my plan .I have had my golf since May 2010 and it has done........12k miles .

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
It reminded me of this thread 20k-challenge I started a while back. OK, slightly above the £15k but a similar principle and some really interesting stuff.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 73GTVJim I have just read the thread .Yes some very interesting cars.

I think I would like a two seater coupe before i get to over the hill.Car allowance usually states ( at least where I am now) no more than 5 years old and no convertibles

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts

I think its a fair comparison, if you keep both for a fixed length of time. In 3 years the NSX will still be worth £15k, in 3 years the FWD BMW will be worth more like 7-10k. So that already gives you 5-8k towards your maintenence budget.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are actually policy the car fitshould in this broad criteria :)
"Professional Delivery (e.g. thinking about the image your car presents on behalf of the company, and whether your car is appropriate for your role).
Health and Safety (e.g. making sure your car is well maintained, and taking note of the speed/power of your car).
Margin Improvement and Sustainability (e.g. fuel type and mpg).
If you are a ‘job need’ driver (i.e. you need a car to do your job or drive over 10,000 business miles each year) your car cannot be over 5 years old."

Did not realise it was so open

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Thanks 73GTVJim I have just read the thread .Yes some very interesting cars.

I think I would like a two seater coupe before i get to over the hill.Car allowance usually states ( at least where I am now) no more than 5 years old and no convertibles
It all depends on the co policy as you mention later. Some are more restrictive than others but there is nearly always a max age and mileage and commonly an exclusion of two-seaters and cabrios on the grounds of corporate suitability (e.g co image/taking out clients etc) or H&S.

Pud makes a valid point re depreciation though. Often overlooked in favour of the day-to-day costs and probably the biggest expense over its life....unless your exotic lunches its engine perhaps as you try to make it cover 18-25k p.a. for work and pleasure as most co car/allowance takers have to do!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts