Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this 147 Ti at a local Fiat dealership yesterday. I didn’t get a chance to see it ‘in the flesh’ but I will later in the week. I have just spoken to the sales manager who assures me the belts and tensioners have been replaced as it has covered just less than 40,000 miles.

My main quandary is could I live with a 1.6 litre engine? If it had been a 2 litre, I’d have been down there right now getting into debt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170069172667&rd=1&rd=1

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Roswell said:
My main quandary is could I live with a 1.6 litre engine? If it had been a 2 litre, I’d have been down there right now getting into debt.

Course you can.

You just have to wring it's neck a bit more than the 2.0.
Oh and it revs more freely than it's bigger brother.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Mate remember when you saw my tailights heading off into the distance at Croft?

;)

Decision made!!!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GhostyDog said:
Mate, remember when you saw my taillights heading off into the distance at Croft?

;)

Decision made!!!
Does the Ti come with the all important sense of fear removal tool? :lol:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alfa_147_jtd_16v said:
Go for the Ti JTD Ros.;)
No, because then I'd have a girly car with the engine from a tractor. :p

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The thing I can't get out of my mind is how quick Ghosty's 147 was at Croft, there really was next to nothing in it between his 1.6 and my 2.0.

Do it, do it, do it :D Don't worry about it 'only' being a 1.6, they're so quick to spin up you probably won't notice any difference at all :cool:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very, very tempted.

What do you lot think about the actual car? Specification, mileage, etc?

A

·
0 Posts
Roswell said:
No, because then I'd have a girly car with the engine from a tractor. :p
Personally, I would have thought the tractor and girly thing are better than the car being solely associated with a girl's car;)

Anyway, you do not have people ridiculing the Dodge Viper just becuase it's come out of a lorry;) :D

A

·
0 Posts
Seriously though the 147 is a nice car. I am sure you will like it just make absoultely sure you try ALL variants (diesel included) before making your decision. Who knows the 1.6 may suit you but you do need to wind it up ALL of the time just to make any kind of progress.

If this is what you like, go for it!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want a 2.0. :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Roswell said:
Does the Ti come with the all important sense of fear removal tool? :lol:
No I believe that comes from being borderline certifiable.

Testament to this is the voracity in which I through myself down the slopes as a fledgling snowboarder.

When I go to the Alps next week there's every eventuality that I might not come back alive, so if this is the case it's been nice knowing you.

:D

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
We've got a 1.6 147, and it's nippy enough as long as you're happy to rev it because there's not much below maybe 3500-4000rpm. The only other thing is that the gearing's a bit short - you have to change out of first almost as soon as you're moving, and it could do with a sixth for a bit of long-journey comfort, 5th seems to be geared at roughly 20mph / 1000rpm.

Overall we're pretty happy with it, though. :)

N

·
0 Posts
I'm sure a 1.6 147 isn't going to
be that far behind a 1.8 156.

You could always chip/map it.

It does look cool and it's nicer than
the refaced ones. ;)
Doooooo it!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
jamieboy said:
We've got a 1.6 147, and it's nippy enough as long as you're happy to rev it because there's not much below maybe 3500-4000rpm. The only other thing is that the gearing's a bit short - you have to change out of first almost as soon as you're moving, and it could do with a sixth for a bit of long-journey comfort, 5th seems to be geared at roughly 20mph / 1000rpm.

Overall we're pretty happy with it, though. :)
I agree with this, it is a bit low geared, at 80 you are doing exactly 4k rpm as jamie says. I guess the transmission is designed like this to take into account the low torque ouput but (relatively) high bhp at high revs. As I said before you have to give it some through the gears and if you do the published perfomance figures of 0-62 in 10.3 or whatever don't mean a lot.

In my opinion the 1.6 is a 'traditional' small Alfa Romeo in the mould of the Alfasud or the Giulietta, ie a relatively high output small engine in a small body.

Have a go in one and see what you think.

Good luck

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
HM Said my 1.6 felt more sorted than a 2.0 when he drove it and Ode said he just managed to keep up from take off, obviously Ode's 2.0 would beat mine for top end speed but how often do you drive at 130+?

On the way to XScape last night I did a test and reset the average mileage and sat at 60 Miles an hour (at 3Krpm) managed about 50mpg over the 30 mile journey on the motorway.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Roswell said:
I want a 2.0. :(
If thats what you want then you're not going to be happy with less. The Ti you've shown does look a good buy but it doesn't mean there's not an equally good 2.0 out there with your name on it.

When i decided i wanted a 147, it had to be a sele' and i was prepared to wait while i searched the country for the best one i could find. I even ran around in a £120 banger after selling my old car. Was it worth the wait? damn right it was!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts