1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep ! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I didn't go out by choice as i had to come home from Notts, but if i was home i probably would have.
Didn't find A that great on the hill out of my mother inlaws house as it was 4" of compacted snow but i just made it to the gritted patch and was able to get out ok.
I suppose half worn pirelli's didn't help.
I got home and washed mine too :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to the supermarket yesterday morning. On the way back went down a wide side street which had not been gritted and threw it about it a bit, breaking hard and turning . Very impressed with the handling

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
this morning - A mode saved me.
I learned to drive on ice and snow, and have not lost the knack, but today I really adored the way A mode found traction and steering on "slush over ice" while two softroaders (one a CRV) were bogged down having chosen the wrong line
Did have a couple of ABS moments, but no real risk as I learned to leave 4 to 10 seconds of gap between me and anything I am pointed at. 25mph is quite fast enough on slushy lanes, and even at those low speeds a stopping distance of 25m+ is to be expected. The real issue is other f-ing muppets swinging out around parked cars unexpectedly ;-)

+1 to the team at Alfa for the programming on A Mode.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, the problem isn't YOU on the roads, it's every other idiot driving faster than they should (and inevitably, end up in the ditch!)

I learned to drive on ice/snow roads too, and it's amazing how the Alfa handles better than I expected - definitely a thumbs up from me

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Last winter I got up the lane to our village in A mode. 15 minutes later an Audi A6 Quattro was abandoned on the road because it couldn't get up. :D

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I was behind a Volvo XC90 doodah (4x4 estate soft-roader) and that was all over the place.. :confused:

I had to overtake it... :thumbs:

Are those boutique off roaders actually any good?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had a challenge Saturday night getting about Herts and outskirts of NW London (not by choice).
Couple of things to note throttle response aside (very helpful)
A mode can't help you if all four wheels have S*D all traction on compact snow and ice.
These systems need information to act on so there is no substitute for road craft.
I wonder how good winter tyres may have helped in giving A mode a change to perform. probably alot.

On the couple of occasions where we found ourselves slipping on adverse cambers etc. I was frankly gob smacked at how well the car behaves. I'm putting it down to a good chassis and a car / 4 tyres near factory quality @ 1100 miles
After the first hiccup I was left with a strong sense of a competent car (just need to work on the driver now)
Saw many RWD BMWs in all sorts of trouble.

Sunday was a different story
lots of wet road & slush tracks - A mode is excellent when its got something to work with and if proof was needed
some prune slid out in front of me in Sheffield just as I had two wheels on a tram track - :eek::wow::thumbs:

plenty of numpties about this weekend though :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
:thumbs: Drove to work Sunday along country lanes that hadn't seen sight of a gritter/snow plough and the car behaved impeccably - even on inclines.

Saw several other cars desperately spinning their wheels in an effort to get moving as I swept past majestically.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I was behind a Volvo XC90 doodah (4x4 estate soft-roader) and that was all over the place.. :confused:

Ralf S.
I didn't have much grip at all, but then when you have more power with wide summer tyres you'd expect it not to grip at all :lol: Take no TCS,ASR,ABS,EBD,VDC etc etc and you'll have a hoot :thumbs:

I suspect most of these 'boutique' off roaders have road summer tyres also.

PS, if your a big kid then surely you'd keep it in D and go with the flow :p :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have mixed feelings. Saturday evening drove my QV and it just didnt seem that stable on the snow. I drow my Seat Altea the next day and I drove as if there was no snow at all.

At one time I gently turned (on A mode and doing 20mph) and the car just went straight !! On another occasion on a straight lane, as soon as I hit a snowy bit, the car just swayed from right to left and nearly did it in my pants :lol:! I was most probably doing 25 mph not more.

On my Seat I have NO problems at ALL in snow. Could this be due to the fact that my Seat is much heavier than my G ? or my P Zeros are not good in snow ? or could it be in my head ?

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
The ****test ones might work better in these conditions, all depends on its tread pattern.

The Pirelli tread pattern won't work with its large block design. Similar problems I had with my Bridgestone re070. Brilliant in the dry excellent in dry hot okish in the wet and crap in snow :lol:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Ralf S.
A neighbour of mine favours 4x4's - he had Range Rover Sport when we moved in, then an X6 and now a Lexus. He got rid of the X6 after the snow in Feb 10 as it was so appalling on the white suff - so bad that it swung into two lamp-posts within yards of home!! OK so it had v wide low profile (summer) tyres, but he's not a hooligan trying to do anything mad. He tells me the Lexus is leagues better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts