Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, i'm a little stumped...

I changed the CAM Belt Kit, Water pump and Variator on a 1.8 TS for a Forum member (virmanih) this week, typical diesel noise on startup. All went timed up with block set TDC with dial gauge, turned car over buy hand great stuff.

Start the Car let it idle to warm up, rev the car to 2750 rpm nasty tappet sound, drop below and it stops.
I have come accross this before and disconnected the variator solenoid rev it all sweet plug it back noise again.

So far i have changed the
Variator Solinoid
Solinoid Plunger
Checked Timing 2 or 3 times all smack on...
Checked for fault codes none (other than a misfire on pot one which turned out to be a badly corroded coil pack i changed all 4 to be sure)
Replaced the New variator for one i had in stock (its about 18mth old but was new in a box)

I've run thing through with SMAKY (alex) and followed his advice and still non the wiser?

Things i think its not, timing, coilpacks, CAM sensor, variator, solinoid,...

Thinking out loud, how many teeth should the timing belt for a 1.8 have? the belt fitted has 166...

Answer on a stamped addressed envelope... I hate unsolved mysteries... and i've lost faith in myself a little...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Not sure I understand you, when you say you've come across this before?

So the noise is above 2750 AND when the variatior plugged in AND warmned up?

Does it go away at high revs? Can you check it correlates exactly with the variatior signal (voltmeter)? Have you taken it for a spin? My GTV has a broken exhaust manifold mount that sounded very tappy once

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Not sure I agree Dave, if inlet cam is out out by x teeth (belt too long between crank and inlet cam) inlet valves will be late closing and this would be compounded by the retarding action of the variatior?

Slack due to incorrect belt taken up in tensioner and not noticed...

But i'd have thought this would bend the inlet values straight away?

Its late and i'm almost asleep so this is hard to visualise!!

Did you use cam locks?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Not sure I agree Dave, if inlet cam is out out by x teeth (belt too long between crank and inlet cam) inlet valves will be late closing and this would be compounded by the retarding action of the variatior?

Slack due to incorrect belt taken up in tensioner and not noticed...

But i'd have thought this would bend the inlet values straight away?

Its late and i'm almost asleep so this is hard to visualise!!

Did you use cam locks?
i stand corrected :eek: correct that slack would be taken out with tensioner as pitch on teeth are the same
OP has checked with dti and cam locks ..........so no issue there i believe

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check the old belt, but its suppose to have a belt with 166 teeth on it according to the supplier's.

When i said i've had this same issue before, i have an old 146 2.0 and it did the same thing, it was driven around for a month or 2 with the variator disconnected and when plugged back in work as it should normally... very odd that no one else has come across this and i've had it happen twice...

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
How loud is the noise, and how long has the engine been run since it was changed?

It is quite normal for a new variator to tick for a few minutes until it properly fills with oil.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
This might sound strange, but did you remove the spark plug in cylinder 1 to fit a DTI?

If you have forgotten to tighten the plug fully it can give a tapping noise.

Other than that, I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This might sound strange, but did you remove the spark plug in cylinder 1 to fit a DTI?

If you have forgotten to tighten the plug fully it can give a tapping noise.

Other than that, I am not sure.
All the plugs are tight...

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi when i changed my 356 1.8 ts cam belt it tapped even after afew miles of driving but i was given some wynns lifter addertive (from halfords ) and it was ok after that

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi when i changed my 156 1.8 ts cam belt it tapped even after afew miles of driving but i was given some wynns lifter addertive (from halfords ) and it was ok after that

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
could it be loss of pressure to the followers once the variator is activated..in other words a hydraulic follower prob..

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
could it be loss of pressure to the followers once the variator is activated..in other words a hydraulic follower prob..
what seadart said. Low pressure caused by high mileage/worn lifters or ovalisation of the lifter seats. :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts