Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm still on the hunt for my 159 2.4 Ti, found two that were sold too quick for me to get my hands on, but this one's been about for some time now, I notice that the dealer has dropped the price by £1k too.

Autotrader 159 2.4 Ti

Anyone know the car, or has been to look at it?

I'm tempted to pop in there on the way back from work Tuesday afternoon, but if anyone has any intel on this one that might save me the trip, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

:thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's £1400 more than I paid for mine about 3-weeks ago, mine was
Full History
Same colour
Lusso spec not Ti
£5590

I think they want slightly too much for that even after the drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Check the belts have been done on it

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
It ticks all the boxes, apart from the most important one, doesnt mention service history?
Absolutely. And that's the first thing you'd put in any used car ad if it had some.
It's being sold by a dealer, so not something they tend to forget about.
So assume it has zero history, and that's the reason no one wants it.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I never quite get the FSH issue.
Personally the last service is the one that counts. If you're unsure pay for a professional inspection. However do make sue you get it for the right price.

Just because there is a stamp in a book means SFA. Pieces of paper (receipts) help a bit I guess. However many years ago (I mean many) a dealer I bought a 3 year old car off and after I paid for it said something that he thought was helpful but I found disturbing. Now maybe today that never happens..
I said to him I do my own service and maintenance and his reply was "Bring your service book in here and I'll get it stamped when you do". I was tempted to give the car back.

Reactions: Leo_NL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally the last service is the one that counts. If you're unsure pay for a professional inspection. However do make sue you get it for the right price.
This.

I got mine from a dealer with little history, but paid an extra £400 for the extended warranty (2yrs).
Took it straight to Autolusso where it had the swirl flap delete and got the belt, water pump and egr delete done at the same time. Swirl flaps (inlet manifold) were done under warranty which saved me a lot of labour for the other jobs which were not covered but well worth doing.
Cracked rear spring a few months later meant I got a nice set of Eibachs for reduced price too.
Turbo went earlier this year and again Autolusso and the warranty did me proud.
Have got till the end of September for anything else to crop up.

Ned's been properly patient throughout as the warranty co are typically poor, although they do pay out eventually. Their labour rates are from the 80's however.

Basically if you do go for it. Get it with a full warranty and it should be worth it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a great 2.4Ti for sale!

116k, I've owned it two years and in that time had:
Full service
new clutch, DMF, Cambelt
New battery

Unfortunately she's just not practical enough for me so I've gone and got an A4 avant (I know, my soul has withered away!)

Let me know if you're interested.

Luke.
Hey Luke,

I'd love some info on the 159 you've got for sale. Where have you got it listed? Currently got a Lusso which I'm contemplating going down the upgrade route to look like a TI, or if affordable, just getting a TI.
Cheers :thumbup:

Ace

L

·
0 Posts
Hi Ace, I'm afraid it's just literally sold my Lusso. Upgrade wise would be very expensive if you want to do it properly - different turbo, black headlining etc. You're prob best off buying one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even the youngest 159s are over 5 years old now, imagine if it had done 60,000 miles before an oil change, the filter would be clogged and all the dirty oil will be circulating the engine, the turbo would be knackered for a start?

Although I have to admit that receipts/invoices are more important to me than just a stamp, even if the owner has serviced themselves as long as there is evidence..

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I'm always sceptical about that last service when dealers say they'll service it and stamp the book as part of the sale.
Yeah, right, of course they will...

When I sell a car it goes with a thick file of paperwork - I keep everything.
That's something you hardly ever get to see when looking at cars from dealers. It's usually just a stamped service book.
Buy privately and you're more likely to get this, and to meet the owner of course. There's so, so much to be gained from that.

Reactions: MalcQV and tony4hop

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm always sceptical about that last service when dealers say they'll service it and stamp the book as part of the sale.
Yeah, right, of course they will...

When I sell a car it goes with a thick file of paperwork - I keep everything.
That's something you hardly ever get to see when looking at cars from dealers. It's usually just a stamped service book.
Buy privately and you're more likely to get this, and to meet the owner of course. There's so, so much to be gained from that.
Agree :yes:

When I bought my current car it had main dealer service stamps for the first 3 srvices and 2 from Alfatune - quick phone call to both and job done. If you have doubts and can't contact 'stamped' dealers then walk away. If you want a service done for peace of mind but don't trust the seller then negotiate the price (or part of) for the service bill.

Easier said than done when these cars rule your heart and not you head!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't have much faith in service history stamps either, but it pains me that so many others still have utmost faith in it. I've seen many examples (even on this forum) of basic's like air filters looking manky as hell when according to the service book they were changed not long ago. There is no real evidence for this.

Me and my Dad service all our own cars, because we just don't trust anyone to do it. We get our parts from eurocarparts and do it ourselves on a weekend, we take our time over everything, and do it properly. A full service includes just over 5l of ACEA-C3 oil (we use GM Dexos 2, we know it's the correct type because we put it in ourselves and how much we put in) Oil filter. Cabin filter. Air filter. Fuel filter. When taking our time, which we always do, it takes about 4 hours leaving the oil good time to drain. During this time we always tidy up other bits and bobs which may be out of place, for example the undertray wasn't fit properly by whoever did the last service before our ownership. It really isn't difficult. The problem is however trying to convince prospective buyers that it's been done to a good degree. The best we can do is provide receipts of all bought parts, which we always give to our car's new owners.

So what if a stamp has the book, doesn't mean anything has been changed. Blind faith will absolutely blind you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the insight, this is great. I'm still waiting for the right car.

I see one on ebay that's in Glasgow that looks nice, £7.5k. it's a fair way to go for me (south wales) and it's going to be a month or so before I have that kind of funds.

I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts