Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since i have owned my gtv there has been a very dim knocking noise coming from the left rear of the car, it has been poly bushed and the rear end inspected, still knocks. have had the rear shelf and side panels out,checked the speakers and still nothing! then today i drop a can of de-icer onto the floor behind the front passenger seat, hey presto it made the knocking noise, what could it be?.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16" tear drops, its not the wheels , the sound is now defo under the carpet or chassis from behind the front passenger seat.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get underneath the car and give the petrol tank a knock see if it happens again

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
isnt the tank inside the boot?

simon i thought the exhaust at first but the car wasnt even running when i dropped the de-icer onto the floor, is there anything between the carpet and floor pan, or is there something bolted to the chassis directly under the rear passenger side footwell?

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
The only thing that is bolted under the rear passenger footwell is the front end of the suspension tie rod.

But that is all powerflexed on your car isn't it?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there not a 'damper weight' around that area of the car? that dumbell shaped thing

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that is bolted under the rear passenger footwell is the front end of the suspension tie rod.

But that is all powerflexed on your car isn't it?
simon a lot of that is either poly bushed or new, this knocking has cost a small fortune:lol:

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
is there not a 'damper weight' around that area of the car? that dumbell shaped thing
That is located near the bumper on the driver side.

I have no idea what it does though, and my 3.0 doesn't appear to have one.

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
simon a lot of that is either poly bushed or new, this knocking has cost a small fortune:lol:
It isn't something loose inside the panel next to the seat in the back is it?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was led to believe it was an 'harmonic damper' that's to say it adds a bit of weight to stop vibration (ironic given the thread)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear sub frame on the GTV is independant to allow a degree of rear wheel steering whilst cornering the sub frame is bolted directly to the chassis, I know the poly bushes have been done but if the subframe is worn it does give a knocking sound.

Worth investigating further, I know because I've had a sub frame go in a twinny :(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Anti-resonance weight is only found on spiders, located on the chassis rail behind the o/s/r wheel. Check the exhaust centre box bracket located below the area you describe; a lot of aftermarket exhausts have both phase 1&2 brackets fitted, to make them "universal". Sometimes when fitted to a phase 2, the phase 1 bracket touches the floor- it's not needed, so you can just cut it off. Hope that makes sense, wish I had a picture...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
simon i had the inside panels and the rear seats out, nothing in there. it does the knocking sound on uneven road surfaces so it is def something loose. going to get it up in the air and have a look as i am not going to work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the MG Metro making a knocking noise underneath, that was the brake cable mounting clip come away.

It took 2 of use find one driving and one the back to try and locate the rattle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts