Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My third round of warranty work has just been completed, with the fourth round booked up for a week on Friday after some parts arrive.

Here's what's been done under warranty to my 57 reg GT Blackline (Jan 08 registered, 15k miles) in the last 6 months:

- New driveshafts (original pair both leaked dry :wow: )
- New gearbox "cup bearings" (consequence of driveshaft problem)
- New electric window nodes (common fault)
- New Alfa + Blackline badges (old ones faded/rubbed off)
- 16x New Wheel Nuts (£276 :wow: )
- New Oil Seal
- 2x New Front Tyres (+ £250 compensation from ARUK :) )
- New Bolts Under Bonnet (replace corroded ones)
- New Interior Bolts (replace corroded ones)

And what's to come next week in the fourth installment...

- New Bonnet
- New Wiper Linkages
- New O/S Wiper Arm
- New Gearbox Link Cables??? (Reported moderate vibration on the gearstick)
- New Clutch Damper (Reported clutch pedal feels gritty and sometimes hard to engage lower gears)

And a few more items that I have spotted since, that the garage don't know about (yet):

- N/S Puddle Light lens has been cracked during the removal of the door cards (when they fixed my electric window nodes).
- The bolts securing the lock mechanism on both doors are rusted to buggery

I think I am going to go and see the Honda dealer this weekend and see what offers are available! I am fed up with my car - Alfa's reputation for build quality is well-deserved :tut:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would have to agree with you.

Alfa want to project the cars as a viable alternative to the likes of Audi,BMW etc.I am not a german car fan,but,they can bolt a car together properly.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Its just one of those things. If you buy an alfa it WILL fall apart. It wouldn't be an alfa if it didn't. At least its being done under warrenty and so not costing you. So thats a bonus I guess. Stick with it. They are worth it!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think I am going to go and see the Honda dealer this weekend and see what offers are available! I am fed up with my car - Alfa's reputation for build quality is well-deserved :tut:
Good luck at the Honda dealership.

On the handover of my wife's brand new 08 reg 25k+ CRV last March, the salesman kindly showed her how the rear storage space could be reconfigured, after which he slammed the tailgate and the interior light in it's entirity fell off the inside of the roof onto the back seat......

Repaired and replaced under warranty of course. Just like your Alfa bits are. :thumbs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck at the Honda dealership.
Repaired and replaced under warranty of course. Just like your Alfa bits are. :thumbs:

I've had my GT for 8 months now and not had 3 weeks clear driving without a problem, I bet you can't say the same about the CRV?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've had my GT for 8 months now and not had 3 weeks clear driving without a problem, I bet you can't say the same about the CRV?
True enough. That has been the only issue.

Looking at your list though, surely things like rusted under bonnet bolts, interior bolts, faded badge decals, wheel nut replacements etc can't have kept it off the road other than by choice?

In the time you've had it how much time has it been off the road due to mechanical failure (Gearbox, oil seal, drive shafts) and how much time has it been in for cosmetic type stuff?

I recall a thread on here where someone was ranting off about how disgusting the build quality of Alfa's was because their new 159 (or GT - can't recall) had been in "several times with a really stiff rear arm rest".... :rolleyes:

I'm in no way intending to trivialize your problems - but in some cases we can be guilty as fastidious owners of making mountains out of molehills. (again - excluding some of the serious mechanical issues you've listed)

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
- 16x New Wheel Nuts (£276 )
Yes indeed I do find that very:eek:

Despite what some have said on here, your list is disappointing. I think we would all expect a better performance from such a great looking Alfa as the GT. But at least the Alfa Dealer seems to be very helpful (well, it is the manufacturer warranty after all).

And remember, it is an Alfa Romeo. Despite the problems, your Alfa still has more history and heritage than all the Japanese crap on the roads. Stick with it, get all the bits done under warranty, then enjoy driving such a lovely Alfa and look with disdain at all the other rubbish on the roads:lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree entirely.

I've always had the cosmetic issues fixed whilst the mechanical problems are resolved...

e.g. take car to dealer to have gearbox problem investigated, report that the badge is faded and wheel nuts are rusty, then return to the dealer at the end of the day to be told that they have ordered some parts for the gearbox that will take 2-3 weeks to arrive, but that they've done the cosmetic touching up.

I've been very patient with the car so far I believe, and I am quite happy to accept that as long as Alfa are prepared to fix the problems, then these things happen. It is however quite easy for me to take my money elsewhere, which is what I intend to do. I don't doubt whatever car I replace it with will be hassle-free, however I can only vote with my feet! Otherwise I wouldn't be ranting.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I can understand your annoyance. A lot of us have gone through this. My experience of the 'exploding radiator', for instance, is etched permanently on my memory cells:lol:

But what then tends to happen after all is fixed is that the car 'settles down', and you can then really enjoy it. All is forgiven when all is going well. And I'm sure you'll agree the GT is such a great looking car: the rear quarter and side views in particular are simply stunning:)

Such is the 'balance of payments' with Italian automative art:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts