Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I have 07 plate 159 SW, 2,4jtdm engine with 210bhp.

Recently I have noticed that shifting from second to third gear goes rougher than from any other gear into any other gear. I can feel vibration on the stick during the shift phase, prior or after no vibration. Also, there is a tiny certain whine only coming when in third gear and lower revs. And during shift phase it sound like... khm... 'chiiiiiuuuup' and afterwards when I release clutch pedal whining starts and is there as long as I use third gear.

Should I be worried? Anyone has this problem or similar one? Tried to search the threads, but no luck. It is mentioned a lot, but all guys says they had gearboxes changed under warranty and no actual advice or diagnosis.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get the same. In the year I've owned the car it's hasn't got worse nor has it got any better. I've seen it mentioned a few times on here and most people seem to say it's no problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
3rd gear does seem to be the notchiest to get into on my 2.4 210, thers always one and thats it.

What can you do? probably leave it alone untill you get used to it or it fails, I think you will be all right

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it bothers me so I took her to the garage today. Guys will check it out and I will see if they find something.
They gave me alfa 146 ti to drive myself around during wait. It is a nice alfa, but this one in particular is in really bad shape. Can't wait to get mine back!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My third gear is very notchy also. No whine tho.... If you drop it in to third gently it minimizes the notchy-ness....
you are so right! when doing it easy, it minimizes the notchy-ness, as you called it.

anyway, got word from the garage today. they said that synchro thingy for third gear is making this problem. they are 99% sure.

to eliminate this 1% they would have to take the gearbox off, disassemble it and look.

way to much money for that now. i told the guys to take the oil out, look for particles, and fill in new oil and i will drive it this way as long as it goes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I added a gearbox oil additive. Which actually helped a fair bit. One other thing to mention, after driving for a while and when the engine is up to temperature the notchy-ness reduces a fair bit too. Although it never completely goes away.... You could put a thinner oil but then you will have loads more gearbox noise. I think its just a trait of the car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hopefully you are right. if it is just a trait of the car, then it could last for years unchanged.

i will just leave it for now as it is.

by the way, what kind of oil additive have you used?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts