Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the car is off the road I am planning to convert the third brake light from bulbs to led's as the bulbs are very prone to failure and or bad connections due to the poor design. I will try to take pictures for anybody who is interested.

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not in my car (2000), they are small 2.3w push fit bulbs.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
speaking if LEDs, has anybody fitted LED side lights and if so which ones fit and don't trigger the wee warning light?

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are my pre mod calculations

3mm 5vdc (3.2vf)white water clear led's giving 7000mcd and 6500k Luminous Intensity.
(there are ten led's required per unit)

Two options based on supply voltage of 14vdc = a resister per led of 540ohm or based on
12vdc 440 ohms or nearest value to both.

and just so the car could tell me its dis-pleasure of being sorned as of today the battery went flat:mad:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm interested in this as my 3rd brake light (164) is part of the rear Zender wing so is prone to all sorts of dirt and humidity and fail quite a lot so I'm fed up having to change these annoying little bulbs every year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would also be interested in pics.

My third light isn't working at all for the moment and I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram (nor removing the shelf behind the backseat).

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..what would be really cool is to add an accelerometer of some sort so that the brake light pulses at about 4Hz under heavy braking in an emergency stop

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've already done this to my Super.

Depending on which LEDs you source, you might have to drill out the holes in the lens ever so slightly.

The only thing to remember is that once you've changed them, the light will go from a deep red when using the 2.5w bulbs to a reddish orange with the LEDs.

Still worth doing, though, as you can basically fit them and forget them for the rest of the life of the car.

I've done the same with my indicators and sidelights, and shouldn't have to ever check them or change them again.

Hope that helps.

AndyC.

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slight change of spec now,

now super bright clear water (white) 3mm leds giving 12000 mcd with 470ohm resistors.

Ordered off maplins today so should have them by mid week.

Total cost £8.50 including postage

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If it works out, think about putting a kit together. I for one would be interested if I saw something like that pop up on ebay. ;)

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've already done this to my Super.

I've done the same with my indicators and sidelights, and shouldn't have to ever check them or change them again.

Hope that helps.

AndyC.
Lets hope he tells us, anyway parts due Tuesday so pics soon.

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
type, price , where from and any problems:thumbs:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought some LED front side light bulbs with four forward facing LEDs. Found that with HIDs fitted the sidelights looked more yellow than white.. And they were a bit dim, the headlight design relies on light being reflecting across the reflector.. the LED's were bright but only directly forward.. have got some 'bright white' halogen sides to see if they work any better :)

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the delivery today from maplins but they only sent one led! Talked to there customer services and are sending the balance out tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts