Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-ALFA-ROMEO-166-V6-SUPER-BLACK-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-/371515346075?

Very close to where I work. Noticed it on Ebay and thought maybe...Just maybe I could get this as a project. My 147 has been working extremely well the last year and doesn't cost much to run. Also all the belts and etc are all tip top.

However I long for a larger cruiser. Most my journeys are motorway these days and althoguh I love the 147 for a hoon and its a real decent car for blasting about on.

However the 166 with a twinnie handled very well considering it's size. I am sure the V6 won't be as good. But its lovely inside and although it's got its own charm I would like one.

I know this will cost money as a project and going in with eyes open. But I've always wanted a flagship Alfa and this one although I am sure has its problems could be a decent buy.

Thoughts... ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks good but will probably need some serious TLC & cash to get into a decent condition. Looks like the undercarraige is sagging, for example. But if you do get it into a good condition, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
it has a new top engine stay bar, which shows that maintenance hasn't been completely lacking. Low mileage too.

On the other hand the injection light is on.... could be any number of causes...

if I were you I'd at least phone/visit and find out what the issues are.

I don't think you'll regret a V6....I've never driven a twin spark anything, but the 166 is well designed for the V6 engine....

I took my Super round Bedford Autodrome GT Circuit....the cornering limitations are with the brakes, not the suspension....(100+mph straights to 20mph hairpins) though the brakes are still very good for road use.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well once it would be up to scratch I would use it as my daily. I'd probably convert it to lpg though in order to make it affordable for doing 20k a year.

But what better way than with a smooth V6 burble under the bonnet.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not too worried about the only engine management light. Got the full software and I am sure I can sort such things out. More worried about thing like the floor pan and engine maintenance.

Will take a look properly when the owners get back to me. Asked all the obvious questions. But as with anything the truth is in looking for myself.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Not too worried about the only engine management light. Got the full software and I am sure I can sort such things out. More worried about thing like the floor pan and engine maintenance.

Will take a look properly when the owners get back to me. Asked all the obvious questions. But as with anything the truth is in looking for myself.
166es generally hold up underneath better than the 156es....not saying much I know!

Mine is a 1999 model and I managed to get to all the rust in 2014 before it got serious.. not too bad for a 15 year old Italian.

Apart from that make sure the oil cooler pipes are solid....if they are very badly rusted that is a bad job. I would expect the car to be solid though....lower mileage cars generally are.

As for V6 maintenance...assume all the belts pulleys and water pump will need doing...plugs too (probably original ones at that mileage). So, yeah expensive job....even if you can handle something like that yourself, still a good few hundred quid in parts.
If you find the belts have been done within the last 5 years then that is a big bonus, you can leave the plugs, pulleys and water pump until the next belt service.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine maintenance like the belts and pulleys to me are a service item and to be honest with every car I've bought its the first job I do anyway. Unless its been done in the last year. Don't know why. I just service the car and do belts and pulleys just to make sure it's all okay.
I also get chance to strip it down a little and get familiar with the engine too.

But yes I'd expect that belt to be on the original as you say.
I wouldn't mind a higher mileage one. I'm always a little miffed to as why a car has such low mileage. I also can't get the MOT history up on this car.

Can get the tax info etc for it though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I went through all this pain when looking for mine. I'd view it a write and list of what needs to be done. Likely to be long. Timing belt, water pump and fluids for sure. Oil cooler likely. Suspension in need of TLC as it seems a bit low. They have missed out the door side seat bolster.... which is always an indicator of wear/mileage. Does look nice though! I have a FL but have a soft spot for these first series.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
looks like it vulcano nero too, which with cream leather is beautiful.

Main rust spot is the join where the sill meets the rear wheel arch, just under the rear door, also the front of the sill behind the fron wheel, although this is covered in plastic and hard to see.

I also see there is a 69k miler for sale in Walsall with a snapped cambelt, with the added attraction of the Zender kit, again in vulcano nero. I guess swapping the heads is the way forward with that one.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I noticed that one in walsall too. But fitting a V6 might be a pain. I've only transplanted the TS and they are cheap and easy to come by.

The V6 tend's to cost a fair bit more and might still have the same issues as above.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Dolomite,
Interesting. Can you give me a few more details and I could take a look etc and see what needs doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts