Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm in the unenviable position of being car-less at the moment as my beloved MG ZT CDTi seems like its on death's bed, so regardless of the ZT's chances of recovery I'm looking at a replacement for it.

Top of the list is undoubtedly the Alfa 159. I've been in love with Alfas since the 155 but have yet to actually own one as I'm usually put off by reading about iffy reliability - however there seems to generally be positive things said about the 159, so it all looks good.

I'm absolutely besotted with the 2.4 JTDM engine - all that oomph with those looks surely has to make the 159 one of the sexiest cars on the road - and I'm also interested in the 1.9 one as long as its specced highly enough, but I just want to do some poking and prodding first and ask you guys some newbie questions...

- What are the weak points on these engines? With the ZT's lump it was the fuel pumps (one in-tank and one underbonnet) that were prone to failing.
- What are the electrics like? Fiat's I've had in the past were riddled with gremlins.
- What are the servicing costs like, part availability, etc?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
That sounds like a fine choice of a car to me, a 159 is a classy car for sure. As much as I love my GT, I still look longingly at 159s!

I had mine for nearly two years and 28K miles. In that time the only issues were with the air con system (a few have posted with similar issues) and the EGR valve (part of the re-cycling emissions system).

Other than those, tyres and an upper suspension arm were the only consumables.

A comfortable car on the motorway, and one that enjoyed being thrown around by the scruff of its neck on the twisty roads!

Make sure the service is bang on the mark and that the cam belt/water pump have been replaced if you are buying one past 70K miles.
I found the electrics and interior to be of a good quality, no problems for me.

Enjoy looking and good luck finding one. Post some pics up, just to make me green..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's this DPF removal thingy that I've seen mentioned all over the place? I'm presuming that it#s some kind of engine management thing? Had the EGR modified on my ZT too, so familiar with those

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
DPF is the diesel particulate filter, I think it is basically a diesel CAT. They clog up with soot over a period of time, especially if the engine doesn't get up to temp for long enough. The car tries to do a re-gen if it senses the dpf is full/clogged. This throws extra fuel in to burn the soot out. Can cause problems if the car doesn't run a full re-gen, I had the Check Engine Light and a limp mode once, went away after a 4th gear extended drive on the motorway.

Several companies are offering the removal of the dpf and a deletion of the egr via software. Increase mpg and power. Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had my 1.9Ti for the last 3 years with 46k on the clock and only issues I've had were a seized rear brake caliper and the usual front tyre wear which is costly if going for the Bridgestones or Pirelli's.

My GT for the 3 years before that were also trouble free until someone decided to re-arrange the rear quarter.

159 goes back next week and I've got a Giulietta GQV for the next 3 years. So I guess you can see I'm happy with my Alfas

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
FWIW I'm into the 4th year of 2.4 ownership with high mileage and the engine has been very reliable indeed. DPF removal is not an option here in Oz (illegal to modify a car's anti-pollution system) but even so it's OK providing your daily drive is long enough and fast enough to get the engine warmed up properly.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Welcome Clockwork. I recognise you from rover.org. I am MalcQV over there but screwed up my email here when registering.

Just bought myself an old Spider. 159 may come a little later this this year or early next.

Oh and I have witnessed the 2.4 in the Brera. Best bloomin diesel by far. Goes well and in the Brera actually sounds fantastic ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also thinking of joining the Fray

I currently have a very old Renault Megane 1.9. Has been good and came at the right price when I needed something cheap to run. However good it has been it has never even vaguely pretended to be interesting and the 159 just looks like it should be arrested for its looks standing still.

Haven't chosen weather to go diesel 1.9 or 2.4 or Petrol 2.2 especially just skimming the 2.4 Fuel economy thread 32 MPG seams a target to try and achieve.

Other than that anyone any good things to look out for / check for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
only issues I've had were a seized rear brake caliper and the usual front tyre wear which is costly if going for the Bridgestones or Pirelli's.
I've read a fair bit about this tyre wear issue - is it fixable or just something that you have to live with? I don't fancy forking out hunnred's of pounds every six months for rubber for 19" wheels!

it's OK providing your daily drive is long enough and fast enough to get the engine warmed up properly.
That's the plan! :)

Welcome Clockwork. I recognise you from rover.org. I am MalcQV over there but screwed up my email here when registering... Oh and I have witnessed the 2.4 in the Brera. Best bloomin diesel by far. Goes well and in the Brera actually sounds fantastic ;)
Wahey! Nice to see a familiar, er, 'face'! :lol: ...I actually hear an alfa with the 2.4 engine take off at a junction the other day and it did indeed sound amazing. I can't wait to test drive one.

Haven't chosen weather to go diesel 1.9 or 2.4 or Petrol 2.2 especially just skimming the 2.4 Fuel economy thread 32 MPG seams a target to try and achieve... Other than that anyone any good things to look out for / check for?
I'm a bit like that myself, so it all depends on whether I can find a nicely 'Ti' specced 159 in 1.9 or 2.4 guise because I'd be happy with either of them.

I too am interested to know if there are things to look out for when looking at the Alfa 1.9 and 2.4 diesels. For example, how many fuel pumps are there in these engines and are they prone to failing? (sorry, recent experience with my ZT makes me paranoid about these things)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't comment on the longer term issues that some owners come across, having only had my 159 for a couple of months.

But I can say as a new and first time Alfa owner I'm very happy with it. I have a 2.4 Ti SW. Its my first diesel which took a little adjustment but the torque and sound of the 5 cylinders cranking away when you give it some boot always brings a smile.

Having owned a Subaru WRX, RS Megane, and Audi S3 in the last 10 years I was worried I would miss the performance but Im pleased to say thats not the case....the 2.4 has plenty to give its just a different mode of delivery.

If you can find one with a good service history thats been loved and the price is right - grab it, you won't regret it.

Im still turning around for a quick glance every time I park it up :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've read a fair bit about this tyre wear issue - is it fixable or just something that you have to live with? I don't fancy forking out hunnred's of pounds every six months for rubber for 19" wheels!
Yes and no. The 2.4 is a big heavy lump of an engine, so no matter what you are going to get through your front tyres quicker than on the 1.9. The lighter engine also makes the car feel more 'pointy' and less prone to power-off understeer. However, Alfa do tend to set the cars up with a relatively large amount of camber (I think?? - or is it toe in :confused:) which tends to make the tyres wear excessively on the inside edge. This can be rectified by a proper hunter wheel alignment.

Also the TI tyres are very expensive if you go for a name brand. The size is 235/40/R19 98. Investigate the cost of these tyres and make sure you are prepared for it ;) IMHO 18'' wheels with the horseshoe alloys look pretty good, and are considerably cheaper if you do high mileage.

I too am interested to know if there are things to look out for when looking at the Alfa 1.9 and 2.4 diesels. For example, how many fuel pumps are there in these engines and are they prone to failing? (sorry, recent experience with my ZT makes me paranoid about these things)
EGR valve and DPF related issues are by far the most common problems. Plenty elsewhere on this lounge. The only issue I've had (so far), is a plastic bleed screw for the coolant circuit on top of the engine, which cracked and started leaking coolant. A very small amount of work at a good indy garage will get this replaced with a more robust bleed screw. It's a relatively rare issue anyway, so don't let that put you off.

Also if you are test driving, check for funny noises from the steering rack, as issues around here have been reported.

·
Registered
62 Posts
zt to alfa

Hi, Last September I changed my ZT cdti for a 159 SW 1.9 jtdm. I had my ZT for 6 years and loved it. The alfa has been great and whilst I really liked the ZT , in my opinion the the Alfa is better. A better drive, better cabin quality and you can tell, a much more modern car design. The alfa is faster( and I had the MG power boosted with the Rover Ron kit )

Downside. The BMW engined ZT had a chain, the Alfa has belts and cost circa £375 from an indie to change. ( not often but it still hurts )

Get the alfa, the [email protected]#kers who moan about alfas are the same ' experts 'who will tell you what rubbish the MG ZT is !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Last September I changed my ZT cdti for a 159 SW 1.9 jtdm. I had my ZT for 6 years and loved it. The alfa has been great and whilst I really liked the ZT , in my opinion the the Alfa is better. A better drive, better cabin quality and you can tell, a much more modern car design. The alfa is faster( and I had the MG power boosted with the Rover Ron kit )

Downside. The BMW engined ZT had a chain, the Alfa has belts and cost circa £375 from an indie to change. ( not often but it still hurts )

Get the alfa, the [email protected]#kers who moan about alfas are the same ' experts 'who will tell you what rubbish the MG ZT is !
Heh, I've got that exact setup on my ZT, with the Synergy2 box and everything. Bless her cotton socks, she's (my ZT, that is) quite ill - I will hopefully find out tomorrow if the repair job is going to be economically worth it or not.

As for the 159, I really really want one now. There only seems to be one Ti spec one here, but it's 40 miles away in Glasgow. There might be a wee hitch on the finance side too, but I'll hopefully find out tomorrow or the weekend if thats the case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Heh, I've got that exact setup on my ZT, with the Synergy2 box and everything. Bless her cotton socks, she's (my ZT, that is) quite ill - I will hopefully find out tomorrow if the repair job is going to be economically worth it or not.

As for the 159, I really really want one now. There only seems to be one Ti spec one here, but it's 40 miles away in Glasgow. There might be a wee hitch on the finance side too, but I'll hopefully find out tomorrow or the weekend if thats the case.
Where abouts in Glasgow?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts