Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of getting a second car thats comfortable yet sporty and not Bone Jarringly hard like my Alfa. Obviously I like my Alfa for sports performance. But sometimes I just want something easy to drive that glides over bumps rather than getting thrown all over the road by them.

I remember my dads new Mercedes 180 was the most beautiful car gliding over bumps with contempt yet still providing excellent handling.

Im looking for something like that not in a sedan but something more sporty.

Im going to forget about any other Alfa as i guess there all hard and looking at BMW or Mercedes. Even my last Hyundai Excel had a beautiful ride but hyundai is out of the question. Thinking maybe Mercedes SLK 350 or BMW 330 i Coupe or so. Anyone own one of those ?

Also thinking about Peugeot as their ride is good but dont think thats my style.

Anyone got any sugestions ?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

or am I just biased?

Smooth, comfortable ride. Absorbs bumps very well. ok so not the best in it's class, but ask any of us 166 owners & we're say the same. I'm sure I've seen a couple of members around your area posting on here.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

or am I just biased?

Smooth, comfortable ride. Absorbs bumps very well. ok so not the best in it's class, but ask any of us 166 owners & we're say the same. I'm sure I've seen a couple of members around your area posting on here.
Ill go for a test drive in one see what there like :thumbs:

G

·
Well depends on your budget, but as soon as I read "gliding over bumps" I immediately thought Citroen.

£500 gets you an older Xantia. Up to £1500 for a decent Xantia, would get an Activa for extra Sporty handling. The Activas more or less corner flat!
Up to £2000 gets you an XM, again get one with the Activa suspension that has the "Auto / Comfort" button.
Make sure that the button works, as the failsafe for this is "Auto" ie. Sporty, slightly less comfortable. Make sure the spheres were recently replaced. Apart from that, the engines not too bad, can be had with a decent reliable XUD turbodiesel engine. Later Xantias had the HDi engine.
Between £1k -> £10k should get you a last generation C5. Not overly impressed with these compared to the Xantia tbh.
£14k onwards gets you a C6.
Recently drove a mid 90s 7 series, can be picked up for couple of grand, very comfortable. Disadvantage with it though, is that it is a BMW so you have to unlearn indicators, mirrors, lane discipline and the 2 second rule.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well depends on your budget, but as soon as I read "gliding over bumps" I immediately thought Citroen.

£500 gets you an older Xantia. Up to £1500 for a decent Xantia, would get an Activa for extra Sporty handling. The Activas more or less corner flat!
Up to £2000 gets you an XM, again get one with the Activa suspension that has the "Auto / Comfort" button.
Make sure that the button works, as the failsafe for this is "Auto" ie. Sporty, slightly less comfortable. Make sure the spheres were recently replaced. Apart from that, the engines not too bad, can be had with a decent reliable XUD turbodiesel engine. Later Xantias had the HDi engine.
Between £1k -> £10k should get you a last generation C5. Not overly impressed with these compared to the Xantia tbh.
£14k onwards gets you a C6.
Recently drove a mid 90s 7 series, can be picked up for couple of grand, very comfortable. Disadvantage with it though, is that it is a BMW so you have to unlearn indicators, mirrors, lane discipline and the 2 second rule.
Yea im not really a Citroen fan although appreciate how they ride over bumps. But looking for something sporty and sexy something I can say to a girl that I own an ... Alfa , BMW, Merc etc. Dont think id feel comfortable saying I have a Citroen :)

G

·
They are just as hard arent they? Probably bit too expensive at the moment in australia. Neverthelss I will test drive one as heard they are bit more comfortable.
It's bias is definitely comfort.

The caveat would appear to be: If you "fit" it. ;)

Most comfortable car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Something designed for the most poorly maintained road surfaces wherever you live? Some imports to the UK have been specifically designed to smooth out the bone jarring, teeth rattling, pot-holed craters and so forth we have to currently contend with? The missus gave the utmost priority to this factor, and also that it had to be fully auto. to allow for more relaxed driving in the nose-to-tail driving we frequently have to endure. She made a good choice imho. :): Lovely missus I have.:D

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something designed for the most poorly maintained road surfaces wherever you live? Some imports to the UK have been specifically designed to smooth out the bone jarring, teeth rattling, pot-holed craters and so forth we have to currently contend with? The missus gave the utmost priority to this factor, and also that it had to be fully auto. to allow for more relaxed driving in the nose-to-tail driving we frequently have to endure. She made a good choice imho. :): Lovely missus I have.:D
but what car do u recomend ?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The only way to come to a sensible conclusion imo is to try a proliferation of wheels until you find one that suits you, and her too possibly? My brothers rule of thumb was always to make sure he had the potential purchase for as long as possible to ensure to the best of his ability it suited his purpose. The cheeky 'git' in the past would only buy from a dealer on the basis that he could have it for a weekend to try it out! Most times they let him.:):

·
Registered
972 Posts
Also thinking about Peugeot as their ride is good but dont think thats my style.
I don't want this to sound like sour grapes; but I was given a Red Card, and thrown in the Sin Bin for mentioning Peugeot in another thread......... :tut:

But for the record, my vote's with a Jag too - if it's your thing; the 2.7 twin-turbo diesel is an absolute peach of an engine (you won't find one in an XK though!).

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't want this to sound like sour grapes; but I was given a Red Card, and thrown in the Sin Bin for mentioning Peugeot in another thread......... :tut:

But for the record, my vote's with a Jag too - if it's your thing; the 2.7 twin-turbo diesel is an absolute peach of an engine (you won't find one in an XK though!).
Yeah Jag might be the way to go. My dad used to love them although Ive never driven one myself.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts