Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty happy with the shape of my 156/TS and always like to ensure its always running tip top. When I got it the belts were changed, oil and filters done and since then the oil and filters regulary changed ect ect. . . :rolleyes:

So I've read somewhere a long time ago that the TS engines should have the shells changed at around 150,000 miles as a precautionary measure regardless of history and so its been on mind mind wether I should do it or not?!

So has anyone done this? Any problems?

Is it OK to fit new shells to an old engine??

Any views much appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
But if it does start rattling jump on it. Btw engine oil should be changed regardless of how much topping up is necessary, all the goodstuff gets burnt out of it:p

N

·
0 Posts
Shells don't cost much. If i was you i would change them bearing in mind that if you bugger up the crank then you can't regrind it.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
But if it does start rattling jump on it. Btw engine oil should be changed regardless of how much topping up is necessary, all the goodstuff gets burnt out of it:p

Also when you drain the oil, it takes out all of the dirt with it. Just topping up won't do this.

Shells don't cost much. If I was you I would change them bearing in mind that if you bugger up the crank then you can't regrind it.
Yes you can, providing the scoring is not too deep. It will depend on how far the car has been run with the big ends failing/failed. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Also when you drain the oil, it takes out all of the dirt with it. Just topping up won't do this.

Yes you can, providing the scoring is not too deep. It will depend on how far the car has been run with the big ends failing/failed. :)
Alfa cranks are nitrided, the thickness of the treated metal is a few microns if you grind the crank then the treated metal will disappear.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Alfa cranks are nitrided, the thickness of the treated metal is a few microns if you grind the crank then the treated metal will disappear.
Can anyone else comment on this? This is not the first time I have been told this and yet people DO regrind the crank. Autolusso offer an excellent warranty on their recon engine, including the crank reground, that wouldn't be feasable if grinding the crank was a no no.

This place seems to offer shells 0.5mm oversize!! Can that be right? Can the crank be reground 0.5mm? if no, what is the most that can be taken off?

http://www.fmecat.eu/index.asp

Really would like to get the definitive answer to this one.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the Standard range has 4 diffferent sizes.

you need a micro-meter to measure the crank to ensure oyu ahve the right one.

the largest is red & there are 3 more options as Standard [ STD ]

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Iv had 3 cranks, all re-ground, 1 beyound bottom limit, just wouldnt clean up, 1 cracked, and the last one was re-ground 7 'thou and shells made to suit, done 1600 miles without any problems!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts