Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, my better half has had her FIAT 500 for 2 yrs now, nothing really to report going wrong after 22K miles. Now that there are endless deals on the go, we are thinking about a MiTo again, we had a test drive in one last year, quite liked it.

After trawling through 7/8 pages on this section there do seem to be a rather worrying number of minor and major defects showing through. I had also read that Alfa Romeo had improved the car quite a bit in 2011.

1. Have they really improved the car over 4 yrs?
2. Are Alfa good at rectifying same?
3. Is ownership pleasure offset by the quality issues?
4. Top 3 fav points and bottom 3 points after having one for a year plus?
5. Any dealers out there going the extra mile in securing a sale?

Thanks for any feedback on this....:)

P

M

·
0 Posts

P
1) We have two ordered within 3 months (120 lusso and 155 veloce) which have had no issues. Both are around 24-28 months old
2) can't comment
3) no quality issues to report, blue & me is a little disappointing on the media player front and have experienced the same in a GP and 500 with it. I would say that the later the car is produced the better the system appears to be. Only a minor gripe though.
4)
Looks fantastic and is very exclusive vs rivals
Great engines
Fun to drive
Dislikes:
Ride is on the firm side
Refinement on some surfaces (we also own a fiat 500 though and it's about the same as that)
Lack of an aux input - although cars ordered today with blue & me finally get an aux port.

5) no comments to make on that one really. Average

·
Registered
320 Posts
Guys, my better half has had her FIAT 500 for 2 yrs now, nothing really to report going wrong after 22K miles. Now that there are endless deals on the go, we are thinking about a MiTo again, we had a test drive in one last year, quite liked it.

After trawling through 7/8 pages on this section there do seem to be a rather worrying number of minor and major defects showing through. I had also read that Alfa Romeo had improved the car quite a bit in 2011.

P
Are you after a new /secondhand Multi-jet or a Multi-air model with or without a turbo in manual or TCT ?

What's your main reason in changing from the 500 ?

I would be in the Pro 500 camp and the only reason I'm driving a MiTo is for 'Abarth' power. My OH has had a MJ 1.6 (for 3 years) and it has been trouble free and she loves it. It is a much higher quality car than the F500. Can't comment on the newer MiTo models except that they have kitted Koni Sports on the 135 and an adaptive suspension on the QV (quite rare). Plus some steering feedback improvements plus Multi-air (haven't tried it) which is a supposedly a big one and gives it a unique selling point. Service from the Alfa Romeo dealers is the same as it was for the Fiat (which is not great). Got worried about some of the 6 speed gearboxs problems that I read on here so the 5 speed seems the one to go for. 500 is a 'happy' car, great to park, surprisingly big for its short wheel base, option of white ambiance, only multi-air on the Twin Air.

+ve
MiTo better on the motorway,
higher quality car with standard alarm fitment & now rear parking sensors,
has multi-air technology & TCT (if you want it & lowers emissions)
-ve
drives more like a car as a opposed to a plaything,
high loading sill at the back is a curse,
expect it to have higher overall running costs - servicing is certainly dearer in comparison to the F500.

Hard to beat the MA135 for value for money as a new buy

P.S. Here at the moment for the Q1 (only) of 2012 a 5 year warranty is being offered on all new Alfa Romeo (incl. Fiat) cars.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Only issue was the drivers window fuse kept blowing, dealer fitted a new motor for a first time fix.
No other problems from this, a 2010 MA 135, glovebox can rattle, but easily user adjusted
Car gets faster and more economical with age, ride is hard, but we knew that.
We had to travel 200 miles to Piccadily Alfa (again) as local dealers were less than interested in our business.

·
Registered
573 Posts
40k miles, 2.5 years of ownership.

1 - Reliability-wise/build quality on newer cars - not sure - will let you know in 1 month! They have tweaked a few things though for the better (steering), aux-in, tons of equipment as standard though.
2 - not sure what you mean there
3 - no real issues with quality for me in general - well built. battery keeps draining recently but that most likely to do with a dodgily-wired parrot handsfree kit i have, and im using the car twice a week now instead of twice a day.
4 - still so much fun to drive; looks great; unique; can't think of any down-sides - lack of aux? but this is rectified now. gear stick throw a bit long to feel sporty....scraping barrel now...
5 - dealer hasn't had to go extra mile, but minor tweaks and issues looked at no questions asked promptly and courteously (bauer millett, Manchester)

don't be put off too much by the threads on here. you only seek advice when something goes wrong so it looks worse than it is. that said have a look and take note of some issues that might potentially crop up - will make it easier to solve any issues that migth arise if you are clued up on the facts etc.

anyway good luck with your choice

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
P.S. Here at the moment for the Q1 (only) of 2012 a 5 year warranty is being offered on all new Alfa Romeo (incl. Fiat) cars.
It's the 5.9% APR finance deal which is only available for Q1 of 2012, the 5 Yr / 100,000km manufacturer warranty is available on all new Alfas sold in 2012 & there is no mention of a time limit on that :thumbs:

·
Registered
168 Posts
No idea. Only even contemplated Alfa ownership 6 months ago, but to me it's nigh on perfection.

I've had a heater switch fall off after 6 months. I phoned the specific dealer and they were initially very unhelpful. I escalated the complaint, and they were very helpful. The issue has yet to be resolved as I'm awaiting a convenient time to visit the dealer.

Yes. I cannot stress this point enough. Even a drive to the shops is an event. If you can afford a model with a bit of poke, it's a fantastic drive, but I don't doubt even the lesser powered models are a joy to drive. The feeling in the cabin, surrounded by gadgets, cruising along a background is comparable with much more expensive models. I used to drive people's cars for a living (albeit 5yrs ago), and none of the similarly priced models come close!

It's only six months old, but:

TOP 3:
1). The feel - it just feels nice, even sat in traffic
2). The looks - I'm like a 14 yr old with a gooey-eyed crush
3a). The power - surprised some decent cars off the lights, and is more than capable of scaring me ****less!
3b). The economy. Despite being capable of 140mph+ and hitting 60mph in under 8 seconds, it'll do 40mpgish.

BOTTOM 3:
1). Keeping it clean/unmarked. I've found myself becoming incredibly anal about where I park it, and how people are in the car. My girlfriend has been banned from eating/drinking, and I had a sulk the other week when I had to take my parent's dog home from the kennels.
Fortunately, the dog behaved itself.
2). Build quality. It's not horrendous, but it's not great either. Heater switch has come off, and some of the paneling round the pedals could be better.
3). Practicality. Being two door, it's not the most practical of cars and it isn't huge in the back. But I didn't buy it for my friends/family.

The dealer who sold me the car were very good at point of sale, but don't want to name due to aforementioned issues with heater panel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's the 5.9% APR finance deal which is only available for Q1 of 2012, the 5 Yr / 100,000km manufacturer warranty is available on all new Alfas sold in 2012 & there is no mention of a time limit on that :thumbs:
I have attached the letter of the 5 year guarantee which doesn't mention a time limit. It was only when I got the 'small print' that I noticed the restriction - I had been tipped by a member of the Fiat Forum that it would exist and it had happened previously in the UK. The contents of this was supplied to be by an established 'Fiat' garage in Cork. So in effect - the 5 year would apply now on stock cars for our 'offer'. Note that the orginal 2 year manufacturer is extended to 3 years with the final 4th & 5th year similar to the 'wear & tear' restrictions currently on the 3rd dealer cover.

Dear Dealer Principal

Please be advised that all Fiat vehicles registered from 1st January 2012 until 31st March will carry a 5 year, 100,000km warranty. This additional cover also includes 5 year roadside assistance.

This additional warranty is manufacturer cover which gives us a distinct advantage over many of our competitors who use insurance based warranties. This initiative addresses one of the large concerns of the buying public in this segment and will give Fiat a very tangible benefit when comparing our product to others in the market place. The extended warranty will be administered through the Fiat/SIGI system in the same way as the first three years.

The first 3 years Warranty comes with the same level of cover, terms and conditions as we have been using heretofore. Years 4 and 5 come with a slightly reduced level of cover and details of items not covered are listed below.

Drive belt
Front & rear brake pads
Wiper blades
 Timing belt
Rear drum brakes
Shock absorbers
Injectors
Rear brake shoes
Battery
Glow plugs
Clutch
Tyres
Spark plugs
Filters
Car windows
Front & rear disc brakes
Piping
Coating & cloths
Fuses
Light cluster
Lamps
Accessories
Equipment not put in place in original by Fiat Auto

Specifically the warranty does not cover defects caused by normal wear and tear.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, can I thank you all for your very fulsome and interesting replies.

It reflects very well on you all and Alfisti generally never mind the members of this forum.

I will await a few more replies and digest all comments and feedback, thank again to date.

P

C

·
0 Posts
Here are my thoughts.

No idea tbh.

I had an alternator failure 6 months into my ownership and I cannot fault the service I received from Alfa, the AA and Mangoletsi. Alfa UK and Alfa HQ contacted me several times to see if I was happy with the service.

Apart from the alternator problem I've not experienced any real quality issues. It seems at least as well built as any other car I've owned and doesn't have many rattles at all - it certainly has fewer than my wife's, 12 month younger, Fiesta.

Top 3
It's quite nippy in D :lol:
Ride isn't too bad but then it is a Cloverleaf with the adaptive dampers.
Nearly everybody who's been in it loves it - my 13 year old niece, who is no petrolhead at all, just couldn't stop talking about it when I took her for a spin. The one person who doesn't like it is my wife.

Bottom 3
Tracking and tyre wear has been an issue for some of us.
B&M media player has a mind of it's own.
It really should have a split folding rear seat and 3 rear belts as standard.

I don't know, there were no deals available when I got mine in May 2010.

One of the best parts of having an Alfa is AO.com.

C

·
0 Posts
Here are my thoughts.

No idea tbh.

I had an alternator failure 6 months into my ownership and I cannot fault the service I received from Alfa, the AA and Mangoletsi. Alfa UK and Alfa HQ contacted me several times to see if I was happy with the service.

Apart from the alternator problem I've not experienced any real quality issues. It seems at least as well built as any other car I've owned and doesn't have many rattles at all - it certainly has fewer than my wife's, 12 month younger, Fiesta.

Top 3
It's quite nippy in D :lol:
Ride isn't too bad but then it is a Cloverleaf with the adaptive dampers.
Nearly everybody who's been in it loves it - my 13 year old niece, who is no petrolhead at all, just couldn't stop talking about it when I took her for a spin. The one person who doesn't like it is my wife.

Bottom 3
Tracking and tyre wear has been an issue for some of us.
B&M media player has a mind of it's own.
It really should have a split folding rear seat and 3 rear belts as standard.

I don't know, there were no deals available when I got mine in May 2010.

One of the best parts of having an Alfa is AO.com.

·
Registered
760 Posts
1. Have they really improved the car over 4 yrs?Its my first alfa, mine is a 2009 reg. So dont really know, the additions of the koni shocks, newer models - QV and distinctive have more kit as STD now. Also free servicing plan offered when buying new sounds good.

2. Are Alfa good at rectifying same?Had the soft paint problem and the dealer was good at sorting the issue out, car was gone for 3 weeks though and the idependant garage that did the work drove my car like they had stolen it; wasnt happy when I watched the footage back on my roadhawk.

3. Is ownership pleasure offset by the quality issues?No major faults to report, few other small issue's all rectified to date. Nothing more than any other previous car manufactor I have owned.

4. Top 3 fav points and bottom 3 points after having one for a year plus?+ points
engine noise and exhaust note with the little pops when underload in Dynamic
Switching into dynamic always put a smile on my face
brembo brakes

etna black paintwork shows all dirty marks and attracts dust
hard suspension and althought not lowered seems to ground out easy
normal mode lacks steering feel

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the current deal if you buy before the end of March includes 3 yrs free servicing and the 5 year warranty?

P

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
I have attached the letter of the 5 year guarantee which doesn't mention a time limit. It was only when I got the 'small print' that I noticed the restriction - I had been tipped by a member of the Fiat Forum that it would exist and it had happened previously in the UK. The contents of this was supplied to be by an established 'Fiat' garage in Cork. So in effect - the 5 year would apply now on stock cars for our 'offer'.
It seems a strange strategy to me to use a 5yr warranty as a major selling point but only have it available for 3 months especially when so many other manufactures are/have been increasing their warranties.

Even more so when all the Alfa Romeo Ireland promo material I've seen states that all 2012 Alfas now come with a 5 yr warranty & there is no mention of any terms & conditions, unlike the 5.9% APR offer which does mention terms & conditions and end date for the offer of March 31st.

I guess time will tell.

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
So the current deal if you buy before the end of March includes 3 yrs free servicing and the 5 year warranty?

P
The 5 year warranty is available in Ireland & not available in the UK.

There is a 0% finance & a free servicing offer available in the UK for cars registered before the 31st March, check Alfa Romeo or ask your Dealer for more details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, just realised, am in the North....so 3 yrs warranty plus 3 years free servicing and the 0% is tempting.

P

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
There are currently some good incentives in both the UK & Ireland to purchase new Alfas alright :thumbs:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Aye, I got more than CAP said my part ex was worth, a big discount off the car, 0% and 3 years servicing.

And I got an Alfa. I mean, those things AND an Alfa..........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts