Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving alfas for the last 14 years. At the moment I have a 166 v6 lovely car but getting old. It's a 1999 with 150,000 miles. I've had It 6 years with no problems but I fancy a change and like the look of the Gt.
I'm looking for any advice on engines not the V6 though it's to thirsty. I've had a 2.0 twinny in the past and liked that but I have no experience with the diesels. Also the good and bad points of the car itself please.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just bought a GT a week ago, it's a lovely car with a fantastic interior that has been a joy to drive so far.

The diesel is a nice engine, has been doing around 40mpg mixed for me over the 3-400 miles I've driven, and above 2000rpm it actually sounds good too! If you can afford it, the Cloverleaf 170 has a Q2 diff for better handling, and a sport button giving better throttle response and another 20hp, which you can feel in 2nd and 3rd for sure

Good points: looks amazing, big boot for a coupe, can fit kids/adults in back (as long as under 6ft), economical and powerful, great stereo if you get bose.

Bad points: living in south london, constant terror it will be nicked/defaced! does sound a bit tractor like when first starting up, especially when cold. rear visibility shocking. clutch is a bit heavy for my wife, but she is getting used to it (we had a fiesta before haha)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If your not going for the V6 then it is a must for the diesel. Q2's are good as they have and LSD. Avoid JTS:tut: They are the worst engine fiat ever made. Misfire issues, knackered injectors, worn cam lobes the list is endless. The JTD's however are pretty tough. Just make sure you do the cambelt at 50-60k as the water pumps are known for siezing :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Shop around for a good one, there are a few to look at, some good, some not.
My 2007 GT has 76K miles under its belt and is wearing them very well indeed. Service a must, especially the cambelt/water pump change.

There really is nothing to touch it on the road design wise, dare I say even slightly better looking than the Brera.....and has rear seats you can use!

Smiles per pound = loads.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have had my Gt Jtd nearly 2yrs and cant stop lookin at it even now. It has 63000 on the clock, 3000 european miles without any probs. Great comfort, gets the looks and is a great all rounder, as long as you maintain it with regular care, oil change and filters etc it should last as long as ur passion for Alfa's last.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Try the diesel and the petrol and make up your own mind. The list of "endless" problems with the JTS mentioned above have conveniently never affected my JTS GT after almost 5 years. The engine has been great. Sounds nice, decent pulling power, but admittedly not the most frugal (I average around 31mpg). I couldn't live with the diesel clatter and don't do enough miles to justify a diesel. And you might find the JTS is quite a bit cheaper than a diesel too (mine was about £1500 cheaper than an equivalent diesel when I bought it).

G

·
0 Posts
clutch is a bit heavy for my wife
:lol: Mine too...so much so I don't think we can keep it as she has been using it as much as me of late. I think a Brera may be on the cards :D

The main advantages are the 40mpg (in main city driving so very impressive) and the ridiculous amount of power for a 1.9 diesel engine. Add on top of that one of the best looking cars out there that is hugely practical and you are laughing!!!

Alastair. Give me a shout if you are keen on a diesel. I've just got to get a few scrapes sorted on the back bumper and then it's ready to go. It's metallic silver with black leather, 50k miles but the best parts are it is remapped and the cambelt is done so is good to go (oh and has 18" alloys...a must for me on a coupe)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had my cloverleaf almost 3 weeks now and love it to bits if you turn the vol up on the bose it kicks into life a lot of car for what you pay.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Door straps - people just flinging the doors open instead of paying the glorious GT some respect - easy DIY fix.

EGR gets smokey - again, another DIY and easy clean/fix.

Just check the oil regularly - insist on using the physical dipstick and not relying on the electronic indicator.

MAKE SURE the water pump is/was done with the cambelt. If the car you choose is old enough to have warranted a cambelt at some point, ensure the water pump is listed on the invoice - if not MAKE SURE you have the whole thing done again.

Oil cooler pipes corrode just lube them up or use some cavity sealant to protect them from the rainwater.

Other than this, I think you'll love it. Just take your time and you'll get a good'un.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Yes indeed what a machine, what a chassis what a pleasure to drive and own, constant smile on your face. I had a black JTD best car ive ever owned. It was meant to be a 2nd car run around, turned into the most fun i've had in a long time. I spent a fortune on the chassis as i knew it had potential. What i created, or rather with Ned and the lads at autolusso was a blinding machine handling was pure dream. The feedback to the driver is fantastic, no german car can give you feel in an alfa and the Gt was no exception. I should know. Get some decent gearbox in her i ,used a quality redline mtl, made a hell of a difference. If in doubt about any characteristic of the Gt, Ned at autolusso is the oracle when it comes to all things GT, 156 chassis based. My ownership was stress free because of the info and preventative servicing i got at autolusso.

Damien.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with the others, great car. I have a black JTD, love it just as much as Alfadoit, above, and the difference is mine is standard, no re-map, just got Koni shocks on to sort the ride. So the car is very adaptable to your own tastes. Mine has been reliable, but I tell people who talk about Alfa unreliability "These are not cars for the disinterested" because you do need to get them serviced on time, and get the right tasks done, e.g. there is a heavy penalty for failing to change the cambelt & waterpump on time on a JTD, the suspension bushes need checking, etc. But as an Alfa owner you'll know that. The GT is better built than earlier models, I reckon you'll love it. On the engine choice - V6 is lovely, last true Alfa V6, but very thirsty. JTD was the big seller, doesn't sound like a diesel inside the car, masses of torque (more than the V6!), the only choice if you do high mileage and costs matter. JTS is sweet sounding and has one big thing going for it - the lightest of the engines and by some distance, so JTS versions feel nimbler and have faster turn-in on bends. But that's the only reason to look at the JTS in my opinion. I found the JTD's handling more than good enough and the clincher is... I had a 3-series beforehand.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have the GT JTD. On startup its a little noisy but once it's warm it quietens down a lot. The torque is great, the feel of a GT is fantastic and you feel you are part of the car, not just in it.

If you go down a diesel route, then yes!!! Check or change timing belt and water pump. Total should be around £350 at a garage. Mine was done at 51000 miles and both belt and pump were fine on inspection, but peace of mind is great.

I get 43mpg on a mix of urban and dual carriageway driving, 10 miles each way every day.
But heres the GT clincher: You will never be bored. Fact. Last saturday night I 'popped out' for a little drive.. which involved going from Romford to Park Royal way (stopped at Ace Cafe for a cuppa), then in to London, down Park Lane, past Houses of Parliament then along the Embankment and out through the East End. 3 hours drive and every minute was great.
Next morning, i 'popped out' and drove to the Essex coast for another couple of hours driving. All because it was a GT. Its a motor you just want to drive.
Buy one now. It's the law. :thumbs:

·
Registered
860 Posts
sure its a good car but what about the rattles and bangs no one mentioned that.Take a long test drive with stero off and listen if you get rattles coming from the rear beware its a bugger to nail down and fix also any sqeeks or bangs from front will mean wishbones or ARB bushes or drop links make sure its done also check working of electric windows should move up slightly when you close door do it several times on both sides if a problems this will sus it out .Chose a diesel if you do any miles at all its a good engine got loads of pull .

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We all get some rattles (well, only in the boot and that can be cured, just find it on one of the many 'boot rattle' threads).

Yes, wishbones need changing, buy AR genuines or you will be doing it every 5000 miles. Upper wishbones at a garage are around £200 fitted.
As an earlier reply said, AR need work doing on time. As long as you do that, you should be fine!
I like to think of my GT as a hot woman... "Great to look at, your mates all want one and great to be in :lol:, just keep an eye on her" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Later models seem to have had many of the rattles sorted though, so ite depends what you're looking to buy. Mine has 0 parcel shelf rattle, although the instruments squeak a bit when you whack the heating on after a cold start for a while... but no worse than any other car I've driven for general noise.

For those that moan about cabin/ wind/ tyre noise as well, you should have driven my 1.25 fiesta at 80 first before you complain! The Alfa is a beautiful motorway cruiser, and the stereo is more than good enough to compensate for any noises you maay have :D

G

·
0 Posts
I have owned 5 x GT's and have not experienced the boot rattle on any. I thought I had on this one but turned out to be a suspension arm. I couldn't work out where the sound was coming from :lol:...the one I have now doesn't even get any wind noise on the motorway. I'm pretty lucky. The one sound I don't like though is the diesel engine :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The one sound I don't like though is the diesel engine :lol:
put your foot down harder! :cool: mine sounds like a quiet petrol once the turbo kicks in about 2k, or at pretty much any revs above 40 mph. No v6 roar for sure, but more refined than any diesel I've been in other than the better BMW engines (which are much newer designs)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts