Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :thumbs:

Im thinking of buying a 156 sportwagon 1.6 lusso, I've never owned an alfa before (nearly bought a 75 2.0TS a few years back and ended up buying an astra gte convertible :cheese: :confused:)

anyway apologies as this has probably been asked many times before but Im mega concerned about the reliability rep that alfa's have and as I need the car everyday for work I can't afford to have the car letting me down all the time, the odd niggle I can live with but if its gonna let me down all the time then I really will have to rethink, the seller of the car assures me its been trouble free since he's owned it but he is the seller so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, some would say why don't I just go and buy something I know would be reliable then ! but everytime I look at that interior I think I must have it :inlove:.

the cars a 53 reg done 106k and has comprehensive service history including 2 cambelt changes.

so could people please give me their real life experiances of these cars, and what sort of faults do they tend to suffer with ? are they really a risky buy ?

mucho thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Firstly welcome to AO :thumbs:
I have a simple theory about reliability.
  1. Around about year 2000 I think complicated electrickery, emissions & efficiency has reduced reliability in general.
  2. Previous owners not looking after a car.
  3. Current owner not looking after a car.
  4. Design faults (car in general and specific components).
I think Alfa in general from my albeit limited experience are no worse than the next. My previous 2003 Rover 25 was supposed to suffer head gasket failure every three or four miles :lol: It didn't. The 2003 VW Passat before it was supposed to be reliable and it was the most useless piece of **** car I have ever owned as far reliability went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the the reply and welcome :thumbs:

good to hear really, my main concern is it breaking to the point of being undriveable often, if its just niggles and suspension componants that can be fixed as and when I 've got the cash is fine just don't want to be stuck with a constantly undriveable car, from reading online owners reviews it looks to be about 50/50 of people who are happy and people who've had loads of trouble but the reality is most people only write a review when they're not happy with something so Im hoping the ratio is actually more towards people that are happy,

anyone else please share their knowlege and experiences please :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
i used to think the same i always nearly bought one and never did as my mate had an alfasud many moons ago and as nice as the car looked it was a bag of bolts held together by rust lol,ive owned loads of cars socalled superior makes which where in the main reliable but when sommat went it was usualy expensive,then last year i saw an alfa 156 ts veloce with immaculate black leather interior ,shiny red with side skirts and a nice evo type spoiler on a 51plate and i kept driving past it in my boring mondeo and thought i want it...so i spoke to my misses and to my suprise she said i could have it, but the reliabilty niggle kept eating away ,so i spoke to the guy at the garage and he told me it was a lovely drive and at 67000 on the clock low mileage to boot with 1 owner in 10years...so i arranged a test drive and i was sold.. and all i can say is its the best drivers car i have ever driven it pulls like a train accelerates realy quick and handles like its on rails ..the only problem i have with the car is it seems to blow bulbs for fun and idiots in their supped up clios and fiestas want to rae you all the time but for the smile it puts on my face its well worth it,its like any other make of car if its been looked after properly it will serve you well...mines got nearly 75000 on the clock now and apart from a shunt i had the only thing ive had to buy is 3 side light bulbs and a new rear tyre which alltold set me back about 75notes ..thats not bad in 6months and 8000miles...i can honestly say its the best car ive ever owned and i would definatley have another one..in the main you can get a high spec alfa for the same price you would get a crappy mondeo or audi thats been to the moon and back and driven within an inch of its life...take a chance because that crappy astra or vectra you get instead might just break on you...hope this helps lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the reply and no I certainly would never get an astra or vectra lol, other cars \i've been considering are a volvo v70 t5 or a passat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
volvos are ok and the t5 is a quick car well built and BIG, but you feel like your driving a barge exspensive to insure aswell and lets face it bloody horrible to look at lol ,i had a passat years ago the 2.0 it was again a quick car but the thing is you would be hard pushed to find a decent low mileage one at a good price ..my alfa cost me £1300 last year low mileage with realy nice black momo leather interior with the sport pack option brilliant car that looks good and cheaper to tax and insure than a 1.8 mondeo i had previously..have a look on the autotrader and look at the owner reviews and they speak for themselves..its funny because i was exactly the same as you but i love my car even with the little niggles ,also im just considering buying another one as an investment because they are dirt cheap to buy for in my opinion a quiet unfair reputation...just buy it im sure you wont be dissapointed lol...
but i am biased

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.
I don't own one, but i know Alfas are as reliable as the next car. But better looking.
Good luck with your next car.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Two and a half years ago I paid £895.00 for a T reg 156 with 92,000 miles on the clock. I only intended it to be a 'stop gap' until I found another car. It has been so amazing and so reliable that I am now going to run it until it dies. Always starts first time, even in minus temperatures despite being kept outside on only used about once every three weeks. Apart from belt change the only other expense has been the corrosion of the power steering fluid pipes. Had its MOT last Monday, all OK, the only advisory was that I had left the suction mount for the Satnav on the windscreen !!!!!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
if it's been serviced and looked after then go for it, otherwise it will always be "what if". Alfas are no worse than any other car, just do your reserch and get a good one. I had a 03 plate 156JTD from 11months old for 4 and a half years, was the best car i've owned and cost me nothing. I want to get a GT soon as i miss the Alfa so much.:)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I've had plenty of niggles with my alfas. Some that have driven me to the point of distraction, but i've only been left by the side of the road once and that was down to a radiator I knew needed replacing for months, but never got round to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for all the replys, I went to veiw the one I was thinking of buying today and unfortunately it wasn't as tidy as I'd hoped it would be so I didn't buy it, I may look for another one but im also considering a few other cars.

just to prove a point to reddevil saying volvo's are horrible to look at though :tut:

ok maybe not pretty but you can't deny they look good :thumbs: as with most cars all they need is a drop and some nice wheels :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts