Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apparently i can get it to 210 bhp with angel tuning for 300 quid. they get great reviews. anyone done this? cheers:confused::confused :)?????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure just been reading a few sites. my car arrives on 1 march - dont want to kill it so doing my homemwork as part of excitement of waiting:)

·
Administrator
87,044 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your comments. no havent driven a 170 tct yet. my test drive was the 1.6. i had a 166 3.0 in a previously and was just wanting a similarly brilliant level of
oomph.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Just fitted a TMC Motorsport tuning box (bought for less than half its original £300 +VAT retail price from a fellow Alfaowner) to our manual box 170 and now it really does go like the proverbial nitrogenous waste product off a shovel, :wow:.
Claimed figures from TMC are 204BHP and 300NM (up from 250) of torque and I can quite believe it if today's blast around the district is anything to go by, :thumbs:.

Going to have to get another one for the 159 as it now seems slow by comparison, :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is it just me or are all the transmissions the same, with or without TCT, they are all limited to 350 nm, so if it works on a Giulietta with standard transmission, then it will work on one with TCT also, as long as you use a box, there might be differences if you remap the ECU.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Is it just me or are all the transmissions the same, with or without TCT, they are all limited to 350 nm, so if it works on a Giulietta with standard transmission, then it will work on one with TCT also, as long as you use a box, there might be differences if you remap the ECU.
But they don't fit it on a QV although it is the same box and the QV has a peak torque of 340Nm.
I don't think it is the gears in the box that will be the problem, it is the smaller twin clutches that can't handle the torque.
Saying that, the MA's peak torque is 250Nm but the 2.0D is 350Nm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Saying that, the MA's peak torque is 250Nm but the 2.0D is 350Nm.
As you said, they fit it on the 170 JTD and thats the model with (on paper) the most tourqe, so it makes no sense that its not fitted to the QV on that account. Unless they know that the QV usually has more like 360 nm in D mode, where the 170 JTD is around 340 nm ;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sorry but does that mean i can or can't get mine tune?
I don't think anyone is in a position to answer this just yet (unless they work in the research & development department of Alfa).
People are only just getting ready for delivery of their TCT's so don't think anyone has done it yet.
Until someone is prepared to take the chance, fits a tuning box or gets the ecu re-mapped and prooves it is ok then all answers will only be theoretical.

As i mentioned before, the TCT is supposed to be limited to 350Nm of torque but Alfa won't fit it to a 340Nm Cloverleaf.
Maybe the 235 BHP is the problem as Alfa are only fitting it to 170bhp models?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe torque/bhp isn't related to any of this......it could be a case of building the technology from the ground up. Multiair and Jtdm2 had the TCT planned in from the offset. If you look deeper into what the TCT does it goes quite a bit further than just being a gearbox strapped to an engine...it adapts around the multi-functions of driving.

The 1750 tbi is old technology by comaprison. I'm not quite sure what they intend to do with the 4C however :rolleyes:

Regarding the remapping of a 170 TCT I think it's pretty futile thinking it about it without actually driving one. I have one arriving next week and by all the accounts the manual I test drove was deceivingly fast.....The in-gear performance figures for the TCT are stupidly quick!! I'd like to know how it compares to a Cloverleaf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks very much for taking the time to explain. i'll wait and see how the new car performs. fingers crossed the strikes don't delay 1march delivery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks very much for taking the time to explain. i'll wait and see how the new car performs. fingers crossed the strikes don't delay 1march delivery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm still settling in with TCT myself but there is a definite difference in gearbox performance (not just throttle sensitivity) in D-N & A modes
Shift rpm points change, quicker to downshift, throttle blips etc.

I'm planning to post my thoughts when I feel I understand (can explain) it a bit better but for now some things others have said ring very true.
1 - You need to drive differently to get the best out of it in terms of anticipation and expectations of whats about to happen.
2 - When you get it right it blows your socks off

When I get it right and my wife is in the car she giggles like a teenager :) and to be honest so do I

2 weeks and 750 miles in we are really starting to understand each other.
(the car .. not the wife... that'll never happen)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Maybe torque/bhp isn't related to any of this......
[ ... ]
The 1750 tbi is old technology by comaprison. I'm not quite sure what they intend to do with the 4C however :rolleyes:
It's more likely a case of simple economics. The 1.4 and 2.0 are widely used: one or other of these engines is available in nearly every FIAT Group model. Fitting the TCT box to these engines makes sense, because it allows FIAT Group to offer TCT as an option on most cars they produce.

The 1750 is an Alfa special, used only on the Giulietta and Lancia Delta, so spending the money on TCT engineering wouldn't have the same payback that it does for the other two engines. Also, this engine is to be replaced with a new, aluminium-block version for the 4C, and it's that engine that will have the TCT box.

My guess is that the 1.6 JTDm will be the next engine to see a TCT option, but probably not on Giulietta.

FIAT PowerTrain's product roadmap contains three more TCT gearboxes: two smaller ones (to allow engines all the way down to the TwinAir to have TCT), and an all-wheel-drive version of the current C635 in the Giulietta.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts