Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please everyone DON'T SHOOT ME!!!!

I love my Giulietta and this is my 3rd Alfa in a row. BUT with that and been in the driving seat of an Alfa for the past 9 years I am thinking of a change - (My partner will keep her G though so not totally away from the family)

I am torn on what to change to 'IF' I changed.

I need 5 doors for the little ones and would like a bit of poke (for me).

So what I have looked at so far -

BMW 1.25i - Never been a fan of BMW and just can't seem to like them
Audi A3 2.0 TSFI S Line - Nice but still have a niggle in my head
Merc A250AMG - Loved the look and the drive + don't see many around me
Merc C200 AMG Line, again liked the looks but adding the extras on either Merc it gets expensive (i know to be expected from a merc)

So its a question, which I know has been asked before but what would you change your G to? within the same sort of class/spec?

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
None of those do it for me really.. What about a fast Volvo C30/V50?

I could be tempted by a 335i Touring with a manual box. Would be a properly fast & practical wagon. Maybe thats a bit bigger than you want.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Volvo V40 was in second place when I bought my Giulietta.

I found the ride-quality to be harsher than the Giulietta's, which is a strange thing to say about a Volvo (actually, it's more of a compliment to how Alfa has balanced the setup on G), but the interior is really nicely styled, and it's got lots of gizmos (but the cost racks up). Seats are amazingly good, which is not a strange thing to say about a Volvo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I love my Giulietta and this is my 3rd Alfa in a row. BUT with that and been in the driving seat of an Alfa for the past 9 years I am thinking of a change - (My partner will keep her G though so not totally away from the family)

Merc C200 AMG Line, again liked the looks but adding the extras on either Merc it gets expensive (i know to be expected from a merc)

So its a question, which I know has been asked before but what would you change your G to? within the same sort of class/spec?
With a Volvo I have ribbed my mates for years who have a Volvo for having a grandad car, I know some have poke and are seriously quick but can't get over the Volvo part for me.

The 335i Touring for me is just to bigger car, I know the C Class is a biggish car but that would be about my limit on size. I enjoy a mid size car than a beast, saying that every year smaller cars get bigger and bigger. Nothing mini about a mini anymore

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Golf maybe? If you want something that feels different to a Giulietta then a Golf would do the trick. I don't particularly like them (my wife has had one for about 5 years), but they are certainly different.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Not much different to an A3 really, its all the same car underneath. Skoda Octavia & Seat Leon also the same.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Golf maybe? If you want something that feels different to a Giulietta then a Golf would do the trick. I don't particularly like them (my wife has had one for about 5 years), but they are certainly different.
No offence to Golf Drivers but for me most VW's are somewhere I could fall asleep looking at the bland interior all day long. Honestly don't see any style or class about the way a golf looks.

Seat Leon Cupra 5 door I maybe could live with - again interior does bore me

·
Registered
161 Posts

I won't change my QV for anything on your list, that's for sure. I won't be able to live with the 125's looks, that's one hideous car. I don't like Merc in general, maybe when I'm 100 years old. The A3 is out of the question for me, I've had enough ****e from VAG products to last me a lifetime. New Astra is nice though, I know they are a dime a dozen in the UK but the new one is a properly sorted car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No offence to Golf Drivers but for me most VW's are somewhere I could fall asleep looking at the bland interior all day long. Honestly don't see any style or class about the way a golf looks.

Seat Leon Cupra 5 door I maybe could live with - again interior does bore me
And there I thought I was the only one! The styling of the Golf, inside and out, is so boring it might as well have been a Toyota. Which is probably an insult to Toyota because at least Toyotas are generally reliable. Which you can't accuse the Golf of, if my experience is anything to go by. To me the Golf doesn't shout class, it shouts SHEEP!

·
Registered
36,877 Posts
Focus 1.5 ecoboosts. Pretty impressive car. More solid feeling than the Volvos everybody is going on about and drives and sounds great!

·
Registered
38,707 Posts
I would have a look at the Fords as well.

Better to drive than VW's generally, and pretty much just as well built.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
100% couldn't live with myself if ever brought a golf!!!! To see that staring back at me everyday I wouldn't want to get out of bed.

It's a hard one as I don't want something that sits on every corner like a golf or an Astra as mentioned. And that's what fills my head when I think of a focus as well. Maybe we'll built, good engines etc just to common. That's why the A Class was on my list don't see to many of them currently same as the G yeah plenty round just on every corner.

·
Registered
36,877 Posts
"100% couldn't live with myself if ever brought a golf!!!! To see that strange back at me everyday I wouldn't want to get out of bed"

Yeah, don't bring a golf!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"100% couldn't live with myself if ever brought a golf!!!! To see that strange back at me everyday I wouldn't want to get out of bed"

Yeah, don't bring a golf!
Haha stupid auto correct. That teach me.for replying in a rush on my phone

·
Registered
352 Posts
The new Mazda 3 is a lovely car. Had one for a weekend (lower powered 2.0 petrol) and it was great to drive - smooth revvy engine and great fun but nice inside and enough performance for the real world. Looks great in sport spec in the right colour too.

R

·
0 Posts
Out of all I would go for the A250 AMG, as you say not many around, they look nice and keep their value quite well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The new Mazda 3 is a lovely car. Had one for a weekend (lower powered 2.0 petrol) and it was great to drive - smooth revvy engine and great fun but nice inside and enough performance for the real world. Looks great in sport spec in the right colour too.
Yeah not sure a Mazda is for me, had a quick look best engine not really got that much grunt, and OK not to sound snobby but not sure I could pull up in a Mazda!!! To me that is a step down from an Alfa.

Still the A Class appeals to me more than most this weekend think I will take another for a test drive and see what deals are out there for them

1 - 20 of 123 Posts