Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Brera 2.2 was rear-ended back in mid-November, with £4500 worth of damage, and is still being repaired!

As a courtesy car I have a '59 plate Mercedes E220 CDI (which pains me as it is costing the third party insurer £135 per day, and they wonder why premiums go up! But, nonetheless thats the cover I pay for and am entitled to).

I have to say that apart from the sight of my gorgeous car out of my flat window, I have not missed the Brera in the slightest :(

The big Merc knocks spots off the Brera in every conceivable way. I know its not a fair comparison and they are completely different types of car, but the 2.2 diesel engine is an absolute joy in the Merc, its subdued when cruising, and has got the clout when needed. The auto gearbox is a welcome change from the kangarooing Brera. Fuel consumption is 40-45mpg compared with the 25-28mpg I get from the Brera. The seats are super comfortable and don't give me backache on journeys over 45minutes. As an added bonus its amazingly easy to drive in the snow.

I have been considering a swap for a BMW E60 5-series M Sport for a while, and looking at the used prices for 3-4 year old examples I may well take the plunge when the Brera is finally repaired.

I know I'll be shot down, and I have my tin-hat at the ready, but I have now realised that looks aren't everything. I'm an Alfa nut having fallen in love with the brand when I had a 156 2.0 T-spark as a company car. But of the current range only the Brera and 159 do anything for me looks-wise. As good as the Brera looks, I've always felt a little disappointed with the 2.2 engine and hesitation issue given the 2.0 t-spark engine was awesome. Unfortunately, driving the big Merc around for a couple of months has only confirmed this even more. :cry:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What about a 2.4 159? Then you have a direct comparison to the merc apart from the more sportier setup of the 159 vs the comfort of the Merc.

Have to say of all the BM's, of which there are seemingly hundreds of different models these days, I'd go for a 5 series. It's far better than a 3 series and the looks have grown on me especially with the M sport kit on. But I wouldn't walk away from my 159 for anything this side of a Maserati Quattroporte.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about a 2.4 159? Then you have a direct comparison to the merc apart from the more sportier setup of the 159 vs the comfort of the Merc.

Have to say of all the BM's, of which there are seemingly hundreds of different models these days, I'd go for a 5 series. It's far better than a 3 series and the looks have grown on me especially with the M sport kit on. But I wouldn't walk away from my 159 for anything this side of a Maserati Quattroporte.
Must admit I'd not thought of a 159. I did have a 159 1.9 JTDM as a courtesy car during one of my many visits to the dealers, and I thought that it was a very good car to drive, and the upgraded seats were lovely! The thing is when I do change cars I like to have a complete change, and the interior of the 159 is practically identical!

I completely agree about the current 5-series, it has really grown on me over the last year or so. I would only have one in M Sport kit though. I know they are ten-a-penny, but to me thats a good thing as it brings used values down and there are loads to choose from.

Think I'll wait til I'm a bit older before I start driving a taxi ... :)
I'm not that old, I'm only 31! I just like big automatic motorway cruisers! The Brera is the smallest car I've owned!

G

·
What about a 2.4 159?

I would not recommend a Brera driver to move to a 159.
They may share 95% of their DNA, but so do Chimps & Humans... :p

If I was buying a Brera for the 1st time it'd be a 1750 TBi Ti
in black. With a red leather interior.

The only thing that would have convinced me to buy another Brera
would have been a tintop with a standard sunroof.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
We got a Merc C class Kompressor as a courtesy car whent he Spider was rear ended by a dozy chav mum. It had a very very comfy ride but otherwise was incredibly dull. Didn't enjoy it all.

Have you considered the 1750 TBi?

Get whatever you like though, that's what it's all about!

Personally, I could never buy a merc as 90% of the mercs I see are minicabs. Could never live with that.

G

·
Because it just isn't the same.

And it's not just me:

Every single person who's seen my 159 has said, "Okay, but it just isn't a Brera."

There is something about the Brera that the 159 just does not have.

I haven't worked out what it is yet....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Because it just isn't the same.

And it's not just me:

Every single person who's seen my 159 has said, "Okay, but it just isn't a Brera."

True but the op wants a change. Would you not get similar comments with other makes of car?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got a Merc C class Kompressor as a courtesy car whent he Spider was rear ended by a dozy chav mum. It had a very very comfy ride but otherwise was incredibly dull. Didn't enjoy it all.

Have you considered the 1750 TBi?

Get whatever you like though, that's what it's all about!

Personally, I could never buy a merc as 90% of the mercs I see are minicabs. Could never live with that.
No, I wouldn't be in the market for a Merc either! I like the E-Class I'm currently driving, and also the new C-Class, but aside from the taxi thing they are out of my budget anyway, as is a 159 1750 TBi Sport! :(

Steering rack issues?? ;)

Joking aside, how are you finding the new 159 1750 TBi Sport then Nev?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I changed from a Brera to a Scirocco, the roc kills the Brera in nearly every department

G

·
Joking aside, how are you finding the new 159 1750 TBi Sport then Nev?

It's just getting the front bumper resprayed today. :eek::eek::eek:

The car is a cracking 4 door saloon.

If I'd never had a Brera I would be over the moon with it.
(If I'd had the Brera with a 1750 I may have kept it longer.)

But I know where you're at.
There isn't that much to choose from out there.
Mate just gave me a lift in his Passat CC.
All very nice but terribly dull.

Hmm... talking about the Passat, I think I know what's missing from the 159:

Frameless windows! ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I changed from a Brera to a Scirocco, the roc kills the Brera in nearly every department
Maybe you should also consider changing from the AO website to the VWO website as, personally, I am starting to get a little bored with your oft repeated mantra.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Maybe you should also consider changing from the AO website to the VWO website as, personally, I am starting to get a little bored with your oft repeated mantra.
Sorry if the truth hurts, but there are plenty of other brands out there that are as good if not better than Alfa. I've no doubt I will come back to Alfa again as I have previously, but for me the Brera was a lovely car but under developed.
As for the Roc if I wanted to flog it I'm pretty sure I could get what I paid for it 4 months ago, can't say that with an Alfa.

It would have been nice if Alfa Romeo had supported owners and resolved the hesitation issues instead of telling owners to p*ss off

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
My boss has a 59 plate e220 Diseasel whilst waiting for his Jag XK I drove it once and found the steering to be overcompensated, the suspension floaty and lumbering and the engine to asthmatic.

In short it was quite possibly the dullest car I've driven in years.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think that's a bit harsh R50 MEO :tut: The truth is that all of us on here are car-nuts to some degree, and consequently do a lot of research before choosing our next steed. We all have different priorities and preferences which determine what car we end up with. I absolutely love my 159 but having never in my life before had the same car twice, and bearing in mind that the only Alfa product which fits my needs is the 159SW; I too will probably have to leave the fold when it comes time to change. As my wife will confirm; every car I own is 'the best thing since sliced bread'.....for as long as I own it :lol: That's why I'm prepared to cut Tony a little slack and hear his comments about the 'Roc. This owners club will certainly be difficult for me to leave because there's such a great bunch of people on here.

I'll shut up now and get my coat......

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think that's a bit harsh R50 MEO :tut: The truth is that all of us on here are car-nuts to some degree, and consequently do a lot of research before choosing our next steed. We all have different priorities and preferences which determine what car we end up with. I absolutely love my 159 but having never in my life before had the same car twice, and bearing in mind that the only Alfa product which fits my needs is the 159SW; I too will probably have to leave the fold when it comes time to change. As my wife will confirm; every car I own is 'the best thing since sliced bread'.....for as long as I own it :lol: That's why I'm prepared to cut Tony a little slack and hear his comments about the 'Roc. This owners club will certainly be difficult for me to leave because there's such a great bunch of people on here.

I'll shut up now and get my coat......
thanks for that, like you I never buy the same car twice and for me Alfa had nothing that took my fancy. R50 MEO obviously beleives that there are no other brands out there to look at and it was the op that listed numerous things he didn't like about his Brera.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts