Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right!! I'm thinking about buying another car!! Basically a toy for myself which will double up as my daily drive!!

I've been looking at GTV 3.0 V6 & MR2 Turbo!! If this would've been a yr or so ago i would've just bought the MR2 but i'm now starting to think they look a bit dated, well, mainly the interior & don't really wanna spend £3-4k on a 15(ish)yr old car!! Even though 4 of my mates have had these of the last 10yrs & they're awesome!!

I've looked & looked & looked at all sorts of dif cars & i keep coming back to the GTV!!

So what should i look out for? common faults etc? i have read the GTV/Spider buying guide & just wondered if there's anything else to look for as it doesn't really say much about the 3.0 V6!!

Thanks

Craig:cool:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
do it mate! you wont regret it! i have done exactly the same thing, albeit with a twinny, as my 306 daily drive was sooooooooo boring. now my commute always starts and ends with a smile :thumbs:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Actionman,

The buyers guides are a good place to start, I think the Alfa workshop website has a good guide too. So long as the car has a good history to start with the GTV should be as reliable as any age comparable German alternative. Like any car it has it's common flaws, but hey, that's what this forum is for ;)

The single most expensive pitfall with the V6 would be an engine failure (many thousands for a rebuild), so make sure the cambelt and it ancillaries have been renewed on schedule or before due date, before you consider buying.

Everything else is a regular service item and will dictate the asking/selling price to begin with. Suspension if original will probably require renewing at some point, standard brakes are considered a little below average and usually ugraded as soon as possible. Rear bushes are a dirty job to replace and cost about £400 to get fully powerflexed from a reputable Alfa garage.

But there's loads of posts about buying a V6 on here, well worth doing a search to give you a flavour of what to expect. There are horror stories, but most owners love them. Had mine a year now and it's cost me £22 for a new thermostat and I upgraded my exhuast to a Ragazzon rear pipe for £165. That's it! Nothing broke, hasn't let me down once!

Go for it :thumbs:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't do it!! Get a Ph3 3.2 instead, more power (extra 20Bhp), not everyon likes the looks but they are newer. Seriously though my 3.2 had a great tustle with an MR2 Turbo the other day, he tried to overtake so I floored it and couldn't keep up :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
V6 engines going bang are very rare to my mind. I've yet to hear of one that's gone wrong within the cambelt service period; they're considered pretty bullet-proof engines and are good for 150-200k if maintained properly.

The GTV still looks beautiful and has escaped 'dating' remarkably well. It can hold it's own in any car park I reckon. GTV every day for me.

·
Registered
38,919 Posts
I can certainly recommend them.

I am now on my second one.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Mate, i went from a very well sorted JDM Scooby to a 2.0 litre GTV, 1st week i thought WTF!!! then it just got under my skin, and i drove it harder than anything i ever owned and with so much enjoyment, now i have a V^ as well, have the looks, character and that engine, just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Mate, i went from a very well sorted JDM Scooby to a 2.0 litre GTV, 1st week i thought WTF!!! then it just got under my skin, and i drove it harder than anything i ever owned and with so much enjoyment, now i have a V6 as well, have the looks, character and that engine, just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Blimey, what had been done to it?

quite a bit

they run 260bhp by just turning up the pressure on the turbo. I only ran a hybrid turbo, which was great for the road as i had full boost before 3000rpm.

theres a lot of people running 450+, not bad for a 2 litre

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
quite a bit

they run 260bhp by just turning up the pressure on the turbo. I only ran a hybrid turbo, which was great for the road as i had full boost before 3000rpm.

theres a lot of people running 450+, not bad for a 2 litre
Evo territory, amazing for an engine designed so long ago, been driving a friends evo so i know what that feels like,immense!, sadly hes sold it so lost that drive now...on the other hand he has bought a 430 scuderia, cant wait:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Beware though, you'll be blinded by love, you'll drive it to work even although the fuel costs double your 'commuter car', you will spend your Sunday afternoons cleaning it and not think twice when it comes to spending cash on repairs.

Lastly in terms of price, power and looks you won't have a clue which car could replace it

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't do it!! Get a Ph3 3.2 instead, more power (extra 20Bhp), not everyon likes the looks but they are newer. Seriously though my 3.2 had a great tustle with an MR2 Turbo the other day, he tried to overtake so I floored it and couldn't keep up :)
when you say couldn't keep up, you actually pulled away from it? or maybe he was just trying to pass you at a steady rate without dropping it into 3rd & hammering the crap out of his car!! He may not have been wanting a race & just wanted to pass so was in 5th gear!! When you decided to floor it he have then decided to have a play & dropped it a gear or 2 in which time you're vansihing into the distance!!

I had that happen to me in my Evo, which was 363bhp!! Was on a dual national speedlimit carriageway, there was an ST170 in front of me doing about 50mph. As i was doing about 60-65mph in 5th i moved over into the 2nd lane & started to cruise passed him. Driver must
've been waiting for me to get along side him & had changed down a couple of gears, next thing i hear his exhaust screaming as he floors it & pulls away!! I let him get on with it & just moved back over into the left hand lane!!

I don't know the exact details of your "tustle" tho so anything could've happened!! I'm sure if it couldn't keep up i doubt very much it was a turbo!! they are very underated!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beware though, you'll be blinded by love, you'll drive it to work even although the fuel costs double your 'commuter car', you will spend your Sunday afternoons cleaning it and not think twice when it comes to spending cash on repairs.

Lastly in terms of price, power and looks you won't have a clue which car could replace it
I've nearly always had sports cars as my daily drive!! I've only got a cheap runabout at the mo cos i sold my Evo so i could pay a lump off my mortgage. I'd paid for it cash so selling it helped me pay an ectra £16k off my mortgage in the 1st yr!! ;) reducing my mortgage by just £240 per month!! I've been saving for another performance car ever since. That was almost 2yrs ago!! I was doing good but then spent £3.5k on a 5* all inclusive holiday in mexico last yr & we're now getting married in oct this yr so savings aren't doing so good!! That's why i'm buying something now while i've got some cash left!! Then once the wedding is out of teh way in Oct i'll have another £500 per month spare to put towards a car!!

I used to have a 363bhp Evo 5 & a 4.0L 210bhp(modded) Jeep Wrangler!! So i'm not scared 1 little bit by the fuel costs of a GTV!! I used to average about 23mpg in the Evo, the Wrangler averaged about 17mpg!! With both of them that included quite a lot of steady driving otherwise it's more like 10mpg!! :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh & if i had the cash to be able to buy a 3.2!! Then i certaily wouldn't be buying 1 cos there's other cars at that money i prefer!! ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a bit of info about the car. It's got 50k on it, had timing belt done at 36k. Pretty much fsh, full mot & 6 months tax. Had a complete engine rebuild in 2007 due to sucking up loads of water!! The guy has had it 18 months & he says it's been very reliable, his mate owned it before him who apparently is a car nut!!

It's got s/s cat back & uprated discs & pads!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just a bit of info about the car. It's got 50k on it, had timing belt done at 36k. Pretty much fsh, full mot & 6 months tax. Had a complete engine rebuild in 2007 due to sucking up loads of water!! The guy has had it 18 months & he says it's been very reliable, his mate owned it before him who apparently is a car nut!!

It's got s/s cat back & uprated discs & pads!!
I saw the advert for that car - you know its a Cat D right?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Highly recommend it - Its the ultimate cruisng machine on the freeway. Not the best in city traffic, But you are still king on the road with all that horsepower. Its also an Exotic Machine like no other on the road.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the advert for that car - you know its a Cat D right?
Yeh, that really doesn't bother me at all, i've bought & sold quite a few cat c & d cars over the last few yrs!! The fiesta i'm using for work at the mo was a cat c in 2006, you wouldn't even know it!! Cars are written off a bit too quickly imho!! My mate bought a 2004 V6 Hyundai Coupe a few months ago. All it needed wasa new front bumper, 1 wing & 1 headlight!! The wing only had a dent in it!! It's got 30k on it, fully loaded, came with service history & all manuals, all keys etc etc. Really tidy apart from the minor front damage. He got it for £1800 & cost him £250 to sort it out as he bought the new parts 2nd hand from ebay!! Can't even tell it's been in a bump now!!

I've had a good chat with the guy that wons the GTV & the car does seem good!! The cat D was due to the engine sucking loads of water up, so it was totally rebuilt!!

Craig :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts