Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Thinking about buying a new PC

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bazza 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,

I am thinking of buying a new PC, as my current one is 7 years old, is a basic Pentium R, and struggles with certain tasks such as using google earth. I am also unable to watch 4K HD videos as they run very slowly, and even 1080p at 60FPS isn't very smooth.

At the moment I am looking at Dell Inspiron desktops, one has a 9th Generation I3 processor, the other has a 9th generation I5 processor.

As budget is a consideration (I have always tended to buy lower end PC's as I generally don't do gaming and stuff) is the i3 going to be suitable for the task in hand, or would I be better off spending the extra £100 or so and getting the PC with the I5 instead.

I am thinking both will be suitable, but wanted to get some opinions. I am currently on my 2nd Dell and am very happy with them, hence why i want another. :)

Links here

They are also 14% off both of them at the moment which makes them more tempting...

Many thanks. :0

See less See more
#5 ·
I am not too worried about them being expandable. As long as it can do basic computing stuff, browsing the net etc.

But watching 4k videos is a must as more and more things are available.

For gaming we have a Playstation 4 pro, but it is hardly used...

#7 ·
I've always liked Dell PCs and laptops, but it's worth looking at one in the flesh first. My Inspiron is from 2017 and the touch pad and screen quality are not up to the standards of previous models. How current models compare I know not, but I shall certainly be more cautious buying my next.

#8 ·
I ended up buying a lenovo.

I got a good deal on one from Laptops direct, I5 processor, 256GB SSD, all the usual stuff for £400, but it has a 20% cashback deal on it as well si it is going to come in at around £330 one I get the money back. It worked out cheaper than the Dell model with only the I3 processor.

It seems to work well enough, next on the list is a 4k 32" monitor.

Reactions: Nickhoughton567
#10 ·
I hope this thread being spammed isn't because you're not running an antivirus on your new PC symon. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.