Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
Ive never owned an alfa but have wanted one for a long time. I been looking around for a 156 2.0 TS. A guy i met recently asked me if i had considered the diesel model. I just laughed and walked away.
Anyway, he gave me a test drive in one he had for sale and it blew me away. Power is awesome, very quiet engine and turbo... wouldnt even think it was a diesel.
Im now seriously thinking of buying it. It has 93K miles full leather aircon, sunroof, foglights etc. It think that makes it a lusso, right?
Timing belt last done at 63K. Should this be redone now like on the petrol models?
Anything else i need to look out for would be a great help.
Price is 5500 euros here in little old ireland. Year is 2001

BTW, i havent driven a petrol 2.0 TS yet so cant really compare the two. Is the diesel faster and do they give more or less trouble? What are the turbos like troublewise??

Cheers y'all

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
can't advise Tommo - but facing same conundrum

local dealer has a nice looking 156 2.0JTS and I was planning to see that one (and I'd never previously considered derv). However, he also has a similarly nice looking 1.9 JTD for similar cash. I'm attracted by the economy but it is only 115bhp as opposed to the 165 of the JTS - I've got a 1.6 at the moment. I'm guessing I might notice some additional lugging power from the diesel (but does additional weight offset that completely - only one way to find out).

Right - now having said that - that got me looking and I've seen a 2.4 with 175bhp and I'm feeling really rather warm inside about that (was it the 2.4 you test drove?).

I'm going to search a few threads on here because this must have been debated plenty.....

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hi Tommo and Welcome !! :)

Yeah do it dude !! ;)

W

·
0 Posts
A 2001 156 will be a 140bhp 2.4....bit sluggish really. But they remap VERY well up to 200bhp :inlove:

wrinx

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The 5cyl diesel is the one to go for - you're making such a saving over the petrol in fuel splash out!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you're thinking of buying a diesel Alfa, ask yourself why you're getting an Alfa! Why not get another brand's diesel car and get better overall design, reliability, cheaper insurance etc?

Apparently (haven't driven a diesel Alfa), they feel pretty effortless, save you money on fuel, can give the petrol engines a real run for their money (once you get your diesel car's computer remapped to increase turbo boost), and their reliability seems to at least equal that of the petrol engines.
A petrol 156 TS will require frequent checking of oil levels and rather frequent cambelt/variator replacements. The Selespeed gearbox available with these engines isn't perfect and is something more to go wrong, but some people like it.
I've got my eye on a petrol V6 with manual transmission - the heart-over-head answer!

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
If you're thinking of buying a diesel Alfa, ask yourself why you're getting an Alfa! Why not get another brand's diesel car and get better overall design, reliability, cheaper insurance etc?
Why not do that with a petrol engined one too?
:confused: ;)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
If you're thinking of buying a diesel Alfa, ask yourself why you're getting an Alfa!
.............................. can give the petrol engines a real run for their money (once you get your diesel car's computer remapped to increase turbo boost)................................ and their reliability seems to at least equal that of the petrol engines.

Sigh!........here we go again.

Ben - my Alfa sounds, goes and feels like an Alfa, not a VW, BMW or Audi (my third Alfa by the way).

Don't need to remap - my car eats every petrol engined car in the 156 range (V6 excepted) and outperforms the 159's except the 2.4 JTD and the 3.2 V6.

My current car is one of the most reliable cars I've owned and, I will shamefully admit, that list includes Volvo's, VWs, Toyotas, an Audi and a Honda. My previous 166 TS was a disaster (although there were mitigating circumstances).

A

·
0 Posts

Apparently (haven't driven a diesel Alfa), they feel pretty effortless, save you money on fuel, can give the petrol engines a real run for their money (once you get your diesel car's computer remapped to increase turbo boost), and their reliability seems to at least equal that of the petrol engines.
A petrol 156 TS will require frequent checking of oil levels and rather frequent cambelt/variator replacements. The Selespeed gearbox available with these engines isn't perfect and is something more to go wrong, but some people like it.
I've got my eye on a petrol V6 with manual transmission - the heart-over-head answer!

Each to their own, but I think the Alfa diesel sales speak for themselves Ben. If it wasn't for the diesels Alfa and Fiat would be in serious trouble by now.
Personally I would not touch an Alfa petrol (4cyl)...I don't think they sound all that great and questions are raised over their durability/reliability. But hey thats just my opinion. I do not beleive for one moment any diesel owner would not die for a V6 (myself included) if we had the money.
Life is not just about ploughing money into cars and this applys to many of us on here I'm sure - the reality is we all have bills to pay, mortgages etc and it all adds up.
A diesel has a really a good blend of performance and economy and the fact you cant have one which is in a uniquely designed car is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A 2001 156 will be a 140bhp 2.4....bit sluggish really. But they remap VERY well up to 200bhp :inlove:

wrinx
Is that right cause I thought that the new 2.4 JTD multijet 20v 156`s where 175 bhp standard.:confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Nope, the 2.4 was in 5 forms (in Chronological order)

Stage 1: 136bhp
Stage 2: 140bhp
Stage 3: 150bhp
Stage 4: 174bhp

Stage 5: 200bhp (159 only)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do not believe for one moment any diesel owner would not die for a V6 (myself included) if we had the money.
Life is not just about ploughing money into cars and this applys to many of us on here I'm sure - the reality is we all have bills to pay, mortgages etc and it all adds up.
A diesel has a really a good blend of performance and economy and the fact you cant have one which is in a uniquely designed car is fantastic.
Agree totally, these factors all contributed, plus a 90 mile round commute, to me buying my GT diesel. I get the economy and power all in a sexy suit, I was also looking at BMW 3s or Mondeos (admittedly the ST TDCI), fortunately my heart (and my head) provailed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a `99 2.4 JTD - 136hp.

It is all about torque - this engine has 300nM @ 2000 rpm - it is more than 2.5 V6! And it does not sound like a diesel and does not drives like diesel - it drives like proper petrol turbo engine !!!

Of coures there is tiny vibration and sometimes a bit of black smoke, when you put down the pedal @ 2000rpm - but from these 2k ->3k rpm car goes like a rocket!

Fuel consumption?
I dont know how much it is in misterious MPG, but with 7 liters you can drive 100km - and this is average (50% in town / 50% highay) - which is less then I ever got with my previous 155 1.7 TS

2.4 JTD engine IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ;)

N

·
0 Posts
All we ever get from DERV drivers is
is "torque, torque, torque."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts