Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a possible change of car again.

I have owned :-

1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

and I currently have a 2001 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 (which is in perfect condition in every way - mechanically/bodywork e.t.c , low miles), but I still have a hankering for something with fuel economy in the 30+ zone, it needs to have super quick steering, agile handling, character and soul. and RWD ! Nothing that will be hitting £400 tax bands (luckily my GTV avoids it)

I generally hate japanese cars (DC5's no thanks) and VTEC units are my idea of hell. Though I did enjoy the 350z (very surprising car), I find the steering on BMW's to be too slow, same for Mercedes and most german cars.

I have been mulling over a number of ideas (quite a random selection):-

-TVR Chimera (Insurance will be a problem as I have only just turned 23)
-Alfa Spider (Duetto/Kamm Tail, don't like the rubber backed one, and the latest S4 is a possibility)
- Alfa Giulia (but as with the Spider, slightly concerned about using it as a daily car)
-Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (prefer the Lotus S2 shape, but the Vauxhall offers the same as the S2 ...with a little more chucked in, also vastly cheaper insurance).
Considered a Corvette C5 (but I don't think it will dynamically work for me)

Other comments:-

- I currently have no access to a garage
- Driven lots of 911's and Boxsters and found the Elise/VX220 better in almost every way.
- I love the Fiat Coupe, but want to move away from FWD.
- Lancia Delta Integrale - Thought it over and unfortunately discounted.

Ideas/suggestions, up to £14k for the perfect car.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an impossible task at that price range if you want handling, style, power AND RWD... I think you are doing really well with a 3.0 GTV to be honest!
It might be a case of keeping the GTV (as its very hard to find something that is so quick, feels so special) and buying a Caterham 7 (or locost)/ classic Alfa Spider for the weekend. (Probably the Caterham in that circumstance)

I would really like a Maserati 3200/Ferrari 348 (both insurable), but keeping one of those until I am 25 and have had some RWD experience under my belt.

Even a Mazda MX5 has crossed my mind, they are reasonably nippy in 1.8 form, they handle incredibly well, RWD, lightweight...and as much as I love the pop up lights, I like masculine cars.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ever thought about a Morgan Plus 8? They're an acquired taste but good fun. I had one and got about 25mpg. Something more economical could be a Morgan Plus 4. If you could find one with the Fiat twin cam engine you'd have a quick sports car with 30+ mpg. They're quite rare but are about.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmw 330ci, audi TT
Thanks for the suggestions Tom, have driven a number of BMW's including the 330ci, it just wasn't my bag.

Love the TT dash, but it is an underwelming car to drive :(

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I think the M3 is the only one i can think of that fits the bill, but it is a BMW :s

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever thought about a Morgan Plus 8? They're an acquired taste but good fun. I had one and got about 25mpg. Something more economical could be a Morgan Plus 4. If you could find one with the Fiat twin cam engine you'd have a quick sports car with 30+ mpg. They're quite rare but are about.
I was shown round a couple of Morgan's at my local Lotus dealer, fantastic cars, very old school but they are big money (for a toy).

An AC Cobra replica in blue with a V8 would be very tasty (there goes my 30mpg+ idea):D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the M3 is the only one i can think of that fits the bill, but it is a BMW :s
That's one BMW I still haven't driven...and know I probably should, but luckily for me the insurance is sky high and am sure it would be in the top tax rating.

I don't think I could stomach a massive increase in tax/insurance, my business head just doesn't accept it :(

G

·
0 Posts
No don't do it!!!

The thought of changing my car has caused me too much anguish over the last few weeks :lol: Don't do the same to yourself!

Stick with what you have

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No don't do it!!!

The thought of changing my car has caused me too much anguish over the last few weeks :lol: Don't do the same to yourself!

Stick with what you have
:lol:

I have always had itchy feet when it comes to cars. :D

G

·
0 Posts
I like your idea of the VX220 to be honest. I was behind one today and it sounding the business

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like your idea of the VX220 to be honest. I was behind one today and it sounding the business
I really need something with the dynamics of an Elise in my life, and I think the Turbo would give me the oomph I need.

I have been on the look out for a while, but my needs are very specific.

Colour/Mileage/Hard Top/Stage 2 and price.

A perfect one sold a week before I started looking :(

H

·
0 Posts
I'm no help to you I'm afraid. I'll probably be turning japanese (what was that song about again? ;) ) when I eventually get rid of my Alfa.

Jap cars aren't everyones cup of tea, but the best performance ones are better than the vast majority of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I am looking at a possible change of car again.

I have owned :-

1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

and I currently have a 2001 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 (which is in perfect condition in every way - mechanically/bodywork e.t.c , low miles), but I still have a hankering for something with fuel economy in the 30+ zone, it needs to have super quick steering, agile handling, character and soul. and RWD ! Nothing that will be hitting £400 tax bands (luckily my GTV avoids it)

I generally hate japanese cars (DC5's no thanks) and VTEC units are my idea of hell. Though I did enjoy the 350z (very surprising car), I find the steering on BMW's to be too slow, same for Mercedes and most german cars.

I have been mulling over a number of ideas (quite a random selection):-

-TVR Chimera (Insurance will be a problem as I have only just turned 23)
-Alfa Spider (Duetto/Kamm Tail, don't like the rubber backed one, and the latest S4 is a possibility)
- Alfa Giulia (but as with the Spider, slightly concerned about using it as a daily car)
-Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (prefer the Lotus S2 shape, but the Vauxhall offers the same as the S2 ...with a little more chucked in, also vastly cheaper insurance).
Considered a Corvette C5 (but I don't think it will dynamically work for me)

Other comments:-

- I currently have no access to a garage
- Driven lots of 911's and Boxsters and found the Elise/VX220 better in almost every way.
- I love the Fiat Coupe, but want to move away from FWD.
- Lancia Delta Integrale - Thought it over and unfortunately discounted.

Ideas/suggestions, up to £14k for the perfect car.
You might like to have a look at a X308 Jaguar (that's the model before the current one) - either the XJ Sport or XJR. These cars don't look like they'd outhandle a canal barge, but you couldn't be more wrong. The XJR is particularly brilliant and the Sport isn't far behind - I used to have one. They've both got a lovely big V8 and are stuffed with creature comforts; even the dashboard clock looks like a Rolex dress watch. And with all that wood and leather it's such a nice place to be. I sold my S reg XJ Sport five years ago for £8K :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts