Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of buying a 2001 156 2.0 TS, seeking advice

Morning :)

I've gone through a few threads in the 156 section and problems don't seem too bad, it seems just like any other car you can buy and its always luck of the draw ;)

Still, I am looking at buying a used 156 and need advice as to whether it'd be a good buy, or something of a money pit :eek:

The car is currently on autotrader (link) and looks a stunning car. For the money it almost seems too good.

I can see the cambelt has been changed, and it has decent mileage.

Is there anything I need to ask the seller? I saw there is an issue with a rotting part of the o/s brake pipe but other than that is there anything else I need to know?

A bit of background on me... I currently drive a 1991 2.0 Astra and sort of casually looking to buy. The depreciation on Alfa's has oh so tempted me to buy one of these beutiful cars, but the costs concern me a little.

Any advice is great appreaciated :D

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
well, on the plus side with that one, you get that ironing board free.

(why are there so many with that hideous protrusion ????)

Good colour though :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the spoiler is a bit of a beast

in terms of mileage, year and cost, does it seem a good option?

I read a bit on alfaworkshop.co.uk to watch out for a few bits as well so that's helpful.

Is it better to wait for a newer 2.5 V6? The spoiler is the only bit that puts me off a little :eek:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
nice car except for the well named spoiler!

welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes. wait for a v6.

the four pots are made of tin foil covered papier mache.
:cheese:

So the 2.0 is not really that recommended? I was seriously thinking of buying that 2.0 Veloce :eek:

There is a 1998 2.5 v6 near me but its that bit older (link). That seems very cheap, its a shame its not the colour of the other one, but I guess just keep looking until I get the one I really want :eek:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Have you been to look at the 2.0TS? I'd bet that its been sold already for that price. I was after a 156 Sportwagon, i found one on Autotrader which was over £1500 cheaper than the same car in my local garage. I rang up about it and it had sold within 30 mins of the ad going up.

M

·
0 Posts
a well looked Alfa shouldn't give you any more problems than any other marque and is probably better than most....

a few things to watch out for on the twinnies and JTS is that the cambelt and tensioners are changed every 36k or 3 years...whichever is sooner..AN ABSOLUTE MUST..

twinnies also like to use oil..check the level is upto the top mark and is a weekly check..

also check it has both its keys..they are expensive to get cut and programmed...

happy alfa hunting dude

mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
if they're your bag also look at the other alfas. You'll get a perfect 145 or 146 for your sort of money plus some change or you may even strike it lucky and find a 166 2.5 v6.

Oh, and for the record, I've never had any problems with any alfa engines in 6 years and 5 Alfas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice fellas :)

a 2.5 V6 has appeared with the Q auto system, is this like a triptronic system? how smooth is it in full auto?

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
I would avoid the Q system, it is a 4 speed auto with manual over-ride. The engine is quite lacking in low speed torque and really needs the 6 speed manual. Buy the manual and you will love it, the auto will at times drive you mad.

Thats my opinion anyway. ;)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
A V6 is going to be preferable to a twinny, but don't be put off them, they're great cars also. Best thing is to get out and drive a couple of examples, and find onve that's been looked after well :)

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Most Alfa fans will tell you the V6 is the way to go. However, that is not to say you should not buy the 4-pot.

The V6 will sounds glorious and should go like stink. However, the 4-pot won't be as front heavy and should handle better. The twin spark engines also sound great and have decent performance. There are more 4-pots out there too, so you may get a better quality car for your money.

Good luck with your search - let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
37,738 Posts
The V6 is really heavy on the juice, especially around town - expect 23-25mpg. Also feel that Alfas suffer from mid-life crisis at 60,000 miles with air flow meters, lambda sensors etc playing up and the V6s suffer with suspension problems due to the weight.

F

·
0 Posts
The 156 2.0 TS is a lovely car. I had one for 8 years from new. I had some small mods (I got the chip remap by Monzasport and also Eibach suspension, which improved the handling but isn't necessary). At 57K you should be over some of the challenges - the cambelt has been changed, so that's a good sign. I had issues with rough running at about 50K and had the lambda sensors and airflow meter replaced, you might want to check that. The price is reasonable, because these do not go for a lot of money. I sold mine, which was in really good condition but had 89K miles, for £1,700 (asked £2000 but wanted a quick sale).

The 2.5 is nice but the challenge is finding one and snapping it up. These cars do go quickly. I test drove both back in 99 when I bought the TS and although the 2.5 was definitely peppier, I didn't feel the 2.0 was underpowered. The chip remap added a bit in performance but more noticeably added torque to 3rd and 4th gears. Just edited the post to add that another reason I went for the 2.0 was the incremental fuel consumption of the 2.5 over the 2.0.

So go after one - you will get some great potential bargains out there. They are really nice cars.

Cheers,

Nigel

F

·
0 Posts
Forgot to say that the radiators tend to go around 60K miles. I had to have mine replaced on the TS at aorund 60-70K as I recall and on my 156 GTA the core had started to go at 53K miles. Would probably have made it through to the 60K service but I had it replaced anyway. So check the radiator as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your extension advice. Much appreciated.

I get paid Friday so lets see what happens ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Good luck - get ready to spend your hard earned readies! When I was looking around to price mine I saw some great bargains out there. But you have to move fast - I put it in the classifieds section on AO before it went in Autotrader and I got five calls from AO alone in two days (sold it on the second call....). Got about another five from Autotrdaer as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ive had my 2.0 TS 156 since January this year, and i have to say i love it. I paid 3k for it with full history, 62k miles... Maybe could have got it cheaper, but its pretty much mint, and im well happy with it, plus they gave me top money for my Omega MV6 - Well what i paid for it a year later! ;)

Its not as fast as a V6 for sure, but its the best combination between power, handling and the murdering fuel consumption for me.

Previous to this car i owned a heavily Courtenay tuned Cavalier V6 (churning out 246hp - std is 170hp ;) ) and a rwd 98 Omega MV6 with a few choice mods around the same power... Its slower than both of my past cars, but not as shockingly slow as id have thought!

Plus the serious added bonus in all of this is the fuel economy... I average about 275-300 miles to a tank (mostly town/18 mile dual carriageway to work), whereas the Omega lasted 225-250 miles on a 75ltr fuel tank! And im not even going to say the mpg of the Cavalier! :lol:

In conclusion am i happy? ... Well, ive never been happier, at times it doesnt have the same punch as my old V6s, but let her rev and its got all the power you really need, with good mpg to boot... Id buy another one tomorrow, the car has real character, and so far ive found it to be reliable, dependable and great fun!

There really is only one colour though...And that is the colour of mine!

....Nuff said! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts