Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After warming up my car this morning I went for a quick run down local bypass when a quarter mile after this I notice lack of response and what sounded like a knocking, so I stopped immediately and called RAC. I started it up for a mate eho was passin and he advised me to turn off straight away as there where servere problems - anyone eperienced this? the oil light kept coming on which suggested lack of pressure - any help greatly received.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil is checked weekly, when i checked the car that was my first thought though the dipstick was clearly giving a healthy reading.

·
Registered
767 Posts
oil is checked weekly, when i checked the car that was my first thought though the dipstick was clearly giving a healthy reading.
what oil do you use and how often have the oil change intervals been? i'm affraid your engine is blown. i had the same simptoms and my crankshaft bearing turned into splinters.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
Does sound like a crank/big end failure.

The car has most likely been run low on oil, or has had a cambelt snap in the past, and the big end shells were not replaced.

Possibly before you even bought it :(

It happened to me on a 145 Cloverleaf, 3 weeks after I had bought it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, i've had the car over 2 years, full alfa and wyn lear service history, though have not been using it as much recently as have company car. I warmed it up, took out for a spin today and trouble hit - as the cars in my garage and there's no oil on the floor and plenty in the car I don't think (above) is the cause, sounds like a top end problem, any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts