Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone help,

My Car is chugging and feels very sick will barely move so pulled in....

Only thing i can think of is i filled up 3 miles ago.

How would i know if i've put unleaded in??? What should i do

Can't get to a garage until tomorrow.. Will the car be ruined??

Thanks

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
It will need to be trailered to the dealer or garage, do not try to start it again. The whole thing will have to be drained and then they can see if or how much damage has been done.

Have you got the receipt from filling up ? it will say if it was diesel or unleaded on the receipt ;)

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Easiest way to tell is your receipt

I is hard to say what damage you have done, I have done this twice!! (I know I should know better) once on Mercedes E320 CDI and this had a sensor that shut off the supply of fuel when it detected petrol, once it was repaired I had all sorts of problem with the car, had to replace all the injectors and the pump in the end. The other was in my Multipla and I just changed the fuel and it was fine

Ned

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers yes i've looked for receipt.. could not find

its a lease car so AA on the way.. Not sure if i put unlead it but suspect i may have

·
Registered
29 Posts
Easiest ways to try and tell without a reciept is to smell inside the fuel filler cap and see if it smells like petrol or another way is to drain a little bit out (usually by disconnecting a pipe to the fuel filter) and then pour a little bit on the side and try and ignite it. If it ignites it has petrol content but if it doesnt then it has no petrol in it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its petrol AA just been out.

Its all covered as lese car i pay through work.. going into Alfa garage tomorrow, guy who came out said very rare for damage to be done in newer cars.. just needs a wash out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Other way round as I recall. Petrol acts as a solvent and buggers up diesel engines. Whereas diesel in a petrol is just like having some oil in there.

I put a fiver (of diesel) in my petrol aygo, then brimmed the tank. There were no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
My mrs put petrol in my jtd wagon. I got it pumped but at a huge cost :(. It was only 3 quid. I should ahev just filled it up :lol:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Other way round as I recall. Petrol acts as a solvent and buggers up diesel engines. Whereas diesel in a petrol is just like having some oil in there.

I put a fiver (of diesel) in my petrol aygo, then brimmed the tank. There were no issues at all.
Nope fraid not...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It would seem that basically the best advise is to not do it either way around just to be safe :lol:

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Petrol in a Diesel engine is always far worse than putting Diesel in a Petrol engine.

I know of a Merc salesman who was delivering a new car to a customer and helpfully filled the tank on route, unfortunately he filled the Diesel tank with Petrol and didn't notice. The client noticed the next day when his car failed though and Merc accused the customer of miss-fuelling and that he would need to pay for a new engine...!! :tut:
He returned the car and got a new one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My brother-in-law started to put petrol in his diesel 320D and after having put a fiver's worth in the tank realised his error. There was a taxi driver parked next to him and advised to 'brim' it with diesel and to keep coming back regularly to keep the it brimmed so that the petrol content got further diluted. That was over a year ago and he has had no problems.

A mechanic informed me that if you put diesel into a petrol as in the above instance you cannot do the same 'trick' in trying to dilute it.

It would be different to the OP who appears to have a tank full of petrol in his diesel car so it would have to get towed and drained - hopefully it wouldn't cost him too much.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My brother-in-law started to put petrol in his diesel 320D and after having put a fiver's worth in the tank realised his error. There was a taxi driver parked next to him and advised to 'brim' it with diesel and to keep coming back regularly to keep the it brimmed so that the petrol content got further diluted. That was over a year ago and he has had no problems.
Adding up to 25% petrol to diesel was an accepted method to get really old diesels
to start easily in cold weather- the rotary or in-line injection pumps then used could
tolerate this without any real problems (they're also capable of using 100% Biodiesel,
though their rubber seals may need changing to avoid degradation...)

Modern common-rail injection pumps run at much higher pressure, and won't tolerate
contaminated fuel so well, and normally accept only up to 5% Biodiesel blends.

So it's best to avoid misfuelling- not a problem for me as I've been dieselised since 1993!

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts