Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

This is a very sad day for me. After 5 years of enjoying my 156 I think its time to move on.

Over the 5 years I have spent quite a lot of money maintaining and repairing the car to keep it running nicely and am always receiveing comments from Alfa indy garages about how she runs/feels. It now has 140,000 miles on the clock, 2 months ago I had the cambelt/suspension/service all done and now am having trouble with the clutch.

The clutch pedal has quite alot of play in it and according to various threads on here seems to be the hydraulics. I think at this time it is time to say goodbye to this car.

This also raises the question. What do I do with a 156 1.8 Ts with 140,000 on the clock and symtoms of a clutch problem??? I would ideally like to scramble some money back but seriously doubt that anyone will buy. My options seem to be -:

1. Ebay it and try my luck
2. Scrap it.

Does anyone have any advice which will help me?

·
Registered
934 Posts
put it on e-bay auction no reserve ...with a complete description ... someone will buy it ... how much would you get for scrap anyway?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Any other problems? If not, I guess you have to balance the price of a replacement clutch against the risk of an alternative car, the fact that it's otherwise pretty sorted, plus a bit of sentimental value. I wouldn't get rid of it unless there were other major issues or if I actively wanted to move on to something in particular. If you did the cambelt and suspension then it sounds like you were planning on keeping it, so what's changed? What's so bad about it, i.e. in all likelihood what are you going to have to fix next that you definitely wouldn't on a replacement car?

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
put it on e-bay auction no reserve ...with a complete description ... someone will buy it ... how much would you get for scrap anyway?
Absolutely. :thumbs:

Give the car a good wash inside and out, take some high quality pictures (inside, outside, under the bonnet), write a full and frank description of the car (good, bad & ugly) and whack it on eBay.

99p start, no reserve, no BuyItNow price, 10 day duration. Job jobbed. :thumbs:

Trust me on this - I've sold MANY cars on eBay this way. As long as you get the basic ingredients right, you'll achieve a good price. :cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Seems a shame to get rid of a loyal car when it just requires what sounds like a new slave cylinder? You will undoubtedly have to fork out money on repairs on whatever else you land up buying anyway. 140 000 miles is by no means the end of the road for a modern Alfa - with regular maintenance they can easily see in 200 000 miles and more. There are a number of forum members with 156s that have already achieved that. Keep her - you have already spent money on the cambelt and suspension so get some use out of that cash.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I agree with ralf. Its probably a slave or a master at worst. Neither will break the bank in terms of cost and if you stuck it up on ebay you'd get nothing for it as most people haven't got a clue with cars and believe they all explode after 100K :rolleyes: I think if you bought something else you would be more out of pocket than if you just fixed it as the money you spend on a car as clean as yours offset against the cost of repairs will be much more. Stick with it:thumbs: If you lived on the south coast I'd have said bring it over and I'll fix it but as you in liverpool :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies...

I think the issue is it has felt like a constant chore over the past 6 months to keep her on the road and costing me quite a lot of money... dont get me wrong she is a beatuiful runner with a great engine and I am aware that these things are wear and tear and unavoidable.

I think I am going to keep it for a little while longer whilst I save for a new one (maybe a year or 2)... have been harbouring a secret fancy for the 159's as of late and would love to stay with Alfa.

Out of interet how much would a Slave cost and worst case scenario how much would a Master cost roughly?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Ebay it, I've been surprised by the money I've raise on there with a few car sales.

·
Premium Member
45,018 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying a used one (and I sell used car parts for a living).

New ones are about £65, you have to remove and refit the gearbox to do the job, and you may as well stick a new clutch in at the same time unless it has been replaced recently.

We could do the whole job including a new clutch for under £550 inc VAT, better the devil I know when it comes to cheap 156s I reckon. Buy another one and that might need even more spending on it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts