Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing to do with the car..

But the roads are a ****ing shambles here, I'm driving like a bloody dodgem half the time just to get a smooth (ish) journey, I'm sick of it. I'm using the bike (motor) and buses more because of it, it's just no pleasure driving it here.

I'd like to know who's got all the money for rd tax and what the **** they're doing with it!

Infact I think I'll sorn it till I decide

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I tend to drive the ancient CRV more than the 147 for local journeys because the higher profile tyres handle the rubbish road surfaces much better........

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We binned our V6 GT for a GT86.

Lower, firmer, flatter yet a much better ride. No issues on speed bumps either.

Then there's the handling & the knowing that none of them are diesels :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to drive the ancient CRV more than the 147 for local journeys because the higher profile tyres handle the rubbish road surfaces much better........
I know I'm seriously thinking of going back to a 4x4 ie hilux, paj, landcruiser ect

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Roads are pretty naf. Oddly when I first drove this 159 it all felt smooth and quiet. I'm now getting used to that and feeling how **** the roads are.
Can't imagine what it would be like back in a GT. Well I can but I am not sure I want to remember that bit of it :lol:

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I have to say while I love the look of a big wheel with a low profile tyre sitting snuggly in a wheel arch - the price you pay for ride comfort is too much for general day to day driving.

On my old beemer I swapped out the big wheels/small tyres for a set of smaller wheels with a decent tyre size and the ride was transformed.

I've not owned a GT, but can you knock an inch off the wheel size, get a higher profile tyre and sort the suspension to get more of a "GT" ride than a sports car ride?

I doubt the roads are going to get better anytime soon!

I think I'd prefer to drive a beauty of a GT with maybe a smaller wheel, than have to resort to a 4x4 to go to the shops in

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
16" wheels are an option/standard on a GT, Fred. I had 17". I do think the 16" probably make a difference but as POP suggests (somewhere) I think it is with the suspension components you make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
..and the GT is a beaut to behold :)

It's just a shame it's dynamically pants by comparison. My V6 Brera was way better than the GT.

It hurts that Alfa aren't turning out any decent cars just now & there are no Coupes on the foggy horizon that is their "strategy".

Thankfully, we still have the S4 Spider.

As well as being brilliant to drive & be in, the 86 is no minger either.

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'd prefer to drive a beauty of a GT with maybe a smaller wheel, than have to resort to a 4x4
It's not resorting to a 4x4, I like them always have, had a paj exceed about 3 yrs ago and only reason I got rid was a lot of welding on main chassis needed, but I got a got cheap and sold cheap. But I'd definitely have another either that or the hilux, landcruiser ect....manual this time though

At least they'll cope better with the **** rds (that will only get worse despite getting ripped off for tax every yr :furious:)

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
As well as being brilliant to drive & be in, the 86 is no minger either.

Been in one though it's called somink different in the USA. A colleague has one (Scion?).
Superb car and quite a nice engine note too.

Stands out on the road as does a GT when you see one :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It's a Scion FRS over there but the Scion name is about to be dropped.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I have to say while I love the look of a big wheel with a low profile tyre sitting snuggly in a wheel arch - the price you pay for ride comfort is too much for general day to day driving.
You'd get flamed in the tech lounges for suggesting that these days.

19s or "it doesn't look right. FACT!"

I'm thinking the likes of the GT86/Scion/BRZ have been tweaked
with appalling US state highways in mind. Thus they can also cope with
the frankly disgraceful state of UK roads.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
presumably you're on the 17" wheels?

235/45 tyres will soften the ride a bit with the combination of extra sidewall and higher tyre width to wheel width ratio ; also some tyres ride a lot better than others, so worth checking the options there too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts