Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a similar one for mine. Was yours an import? Mine was a personal import from Germany and as such, I believe in order to get it registered in the UK it needed the certificate of conformity which was generated specifically for the vehicle by Alfa. Some if this information is then also used to populate the details for the V5C by DVLA . Interestingly on mine in the slot on the V5C where the engine number has been recorded it has been documented as AR16102 which is the engine code not the engine number. Not sure if I should or could correct it but it is one of those things that is is low down on the 'to do' list once it is back on the road.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I’ll have a look and see what I can find with all my paperwork. I bought my GTV in Germany and still have all the paperwork. This is the original bill of sale.

·
Registered
303 Posts
25% discount, fantastic! Seem to recall you mentioning a forces discount or was it no local tax? Should have mentioned I didn't import mine, it was the previous owner.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
25% NATO discount on top of being tax free so not far off half the UK price. The going rate at the time in the UK was about £23-24k and with the exchange rate I paid about £12-12.5k. I still can’t believe I only paid an extra £150 for 17” teledials.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a similar one for mine. Was yours an import? Mine was a personal import from Germany and as such, I believe in order to get it registered in the UK it needed the certificate of conformity which was generated specifically for the vehicle by Alfa. Some if this information is then also used to populate the details for the V5C by DVLA . Interestingly on mine in the slot on the V5C where the engine number has been recorded it has been documented as AR16102 which is the engine code not the engine number. Not sure if I should or could correct it but it is one of those things that is is low down on the 'to do' list once it is back on the road.
I was told mine MAY have been imported from South Africa but I cannot confirm this. Looking at the build date it was 01/04/1998 and registered 29/01/1999 if I have read that correctly. Need to look at the engine code now you’ve mentioned it

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
25% NATO discount on top of being tax free so not far off half the UK price. The going rate at the time in the UK was about £23-24k and with the exchange rate I paid about £12-12.5k. I still can’t believe I only paid an extra £150 for 17” teledials.
Was good going rates for NATO at the time overseas so made sense that many cars were purchased there.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Found it. Also found a copy of the cheque I paid as a deposit... £1200 on the 15th July 2000 and I didn’t get the car til the end of March 2001.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Was good going rates for NATO at the time overseas so made sense that many cars were purchased there.
We used to get quite a generous exchange rate on our pay which helped too. I did get told that more Fiat Coupes were sold to British Forces Germany than were sold in the UK. At one point you could pick one up for about £8k.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
A few years ago I got a signed copy of this from the AR achives. This is the soft copy version they sent me. The original is signed by the curator of the archives.
AR certificate.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts