Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
I just love the 156's innovation... Bear in mind that this car was released to the public in 1998.... 13 years ago!

No boot lock... Hidden behind the badge!
No horrible aerial... Hidden in the rear heated screen!
No apparent rear door handles!
Gas struts on the bonnet so no bonnet stay to worry about!
Every extra that an E class merc had in it's day! And most was standard!
It was at least 7 years ahead of it's time in looks and performance.
Just look at it.... Go on... Now go and park it next to a new Skoda Superb and tell me what looks more modern!

I asked my wife the other day....
"If I was on a first date with you what would you think if I drove up in this Alfa to pick you up?"
Her reply was "plenty of money!" !!!!
"but It's an old car" I said....
"Yeah but women don't generally notice that kind of thing... number plates are confusing, it just looks sexy and expensive"

I can't argue with that one:lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just love the 156's innovation... Bear in mind that this car was released to the public in 1998.... 13 years ago!

Just look at it.... Go on... Now go and park it next to a new Skoda Superb and tell me what looks more modern!

I asked my wife the other day....
"If I was on a first date with you what would you think if I drove up in this Alfa to pick you up?"
Her reply was "plenty of money!" !!!!
"but It's an old car" I said....
"Yeah but women don't generally notice that kind of thing... number plates are confusing, it just looks sexy and expensive"

I can't argue with that one:lol:
Like!!
Best post ever :) ,,, you just made me love my alfa more

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I didnt know about the dash lights adjusting with +- so i was looking at other threads... now is this true for the 156? "you can drop the armrest down lower... on the rest is the clip to open it. instead of opening it, squeeze and it lowers by a few inches" I could go look but its dark and wet :p

·
Registered
80 Posts

Err..
I can't quite see the innovation...

The Seat Arosa had hidden boot handles from 1997 iirc
The Skoda Estelle had the aerial hidden in the sunroof from 1986!
Hidden door handles - the REAR handles was a first, but not an innovation - Ferrari and Honda had already been doing it for years on coupes.
BMW have been using gas bonnet struts since the 70s and boot since 80s.
The E-class was the mid-range Merc, and not at all innovative.
it does have dramatic looks yes, but quantifying a precise amount of years?? In performance terms, absolutely not. I have a 1993 BMW 525i (2.5 inline 6, 192bhp, 245Nm, 143mph, 27mpg) and a 2001 Alfa 2.5 V6 (2.5 V6, 189bhp, 220Nm, 143mph, 26mpg). Both with sports orientated leather (BMW more adjustable), both with all round electric windows, a/c, electric mirrors, etc etc.

Talk about passion, craftmanship, evocativeness, then I'll agree. But in engineering or innovative terms, the Alfa is not breaking new ground.

Bear in mind that I ADORE my Alfa.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I didnt know about the dash lights adjusting with +- so i was looking at other threads... now is this true for the 156? "you can drop the armrest down lower... on the rest is the clip to open it. instead of opening it, squeeze and it lowers by a few inches" I could go look but its dark and wet :p
dash lights are adjusted by the button next to where you reset your A-trip counter.It has 5 settings both ways.
As for the armrest let us know when you try it :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Err..
I can't quite see the innovation...

The Seat Arosa had hidden boot handles from 1997 iirc
The Skoda Estelle had the aerial hidden in the sunroof from 1986!
Hidden door handles - the REAR handles was a first, but not an innovation - Ferrari and Honda had already been doing it for years on coupes.
BMW have been using gas bonnet struts since the 70s and boot since 80s.
The E-class was the mid-range Merc, and not at all innovative.
it does have dramatic looks yes, but quantifying a precise amount of years?? In performance terms, absolutely not. I have a 1993 BMW 525i (2.5 inline 6, 192bhp, 245Nm, 143mph, 27mpg) and a 2001 Alfa 2.5 V6 (2.5 V6, 189bhp, 220Nm, 143mph, 26mpg). Both with sports orientated leather (BMW more adjustable), both with all round electric windows, a/c, electric mirrors, etc etc.

Talk about passion, craftmanship, evocativeness, then I'll agree. But in engineering or innovative terms, the Alfa is not breaking new ground.

Bear in mind that I ADORE my Alfa.
the 155 had the hidden boot handle from '92, the 33 had them also but not sure of the 1st and second series... even the 75 might have had them...

hidden aerial in the rear screen was also there in the 155 (1992), and possibly even earlier.

bonnet struts are used for ages already, definitely before 1992 already.

the 156 was the first with electronic brake distribution and common rail diesel engines however... Magnesium is used for the seat frames, which makes the seats extremely light...

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Oh well mine is obviously a special edition!

Just shows you how well I know the car, yes, both my windows work with the ignition off!

Senior moment!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Holding in the temp & oddometer reset button on the left side of the steering wheel resets my engine management light.

I found this out after my torque test of going up a steep hill in 5th from 20mph went horribly wrong!
I tried on mine...doesn't work unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Didn't know that my 156 would still fill me with such pride after all these years. :love::love:

So many wee niggles to mention.....but beautiful to look at and drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I use the rear window defogger (that’s a good name for it) it makes the radio go all crackerly😂 at least the v6 is a joy to listen to when the radio is on mute 👌

21 - 40 of 44 Posts