Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am currently making a video dedicated to the 159 and as part of that, am also planning a “Hacks” sequel, featuring hidden or little-known features and tricks which the 159 has, such as the sliding armrest trick and switching off dash lights excluding the speedo etc.

So the question is: do you guys and girls know of any other “hidden” features or cool stuff that the 159 can do?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Probably the obvious and known by all but:

Close the windows whilst holding the door lock button down
About a minute of headlight beams by pulling the lights stalk as you get out of the car. Really useful if parking where there is no street lighting and you will be walking somewhere in front of the car.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

About a minute of headlight beams by pulling the lights stalk as you get out of the car. Really useful if parking where there is no street lighting and you will be walking somewhere in front of the car.
And open the windows again by holding the key button depressed.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

I thought the close thing wasn't active in the UK to stop idiots from getting caught it the closing windows!

Also if you pull the light stalk again it increases lighting in 30 sec increments

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I was told that only the early ones could open and close the windows with the remote. My 09 can only open them with the remote...not close them. Not seen a late one that can close via remote...YMMV!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was told that only the early ones could open and close the windows with the remote. My 09 can only open then with the remote...not close them. Not seen a late one that can close via remote...YMMV!
You are not wrong. Mine is FL and italian and has this feature disabled. So nothing to do with UK

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
This is just going to end up being a duplicate of this thread....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is just going to end up being a duplicate of this thread....
Nah it won't - somebody already posted a link to that, so no need to revisit here! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, pls enlighten us how to do these "tricks" :)
Well as far as I can gather, the armrest just slides forward by pushing it from the rear and the dash lights trick is also simple: Just press and hold the dimmer button and the dash light go off, apart from the speedo. I'm borrowing my mates' 159 on Friday to test all these hacks out and do some filming! Should be fun - I've got 9 hacks so far.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, regarding the lock button not closing all windows again, this was removed as a feature after a terrible tragedy in around 2006 / 2007, when a small boy was left in his car by the Mother with the engine running and he managed to get his head trapped in a closing window and was choked to death. Poor kid. After this, some manufacturers changed their systems to avoid it happening again. Thats why it only works on pre-2006/7 cars.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was told that only the early ones could open and close the windows with the remote. My 09 can only open then with the remote...not close them. Not seen a late one that can close via remote...YMMV!
That is correct.
Also pulling the stalk extend the "follow me home" by 30 seconds each time. up to 240s I believe

I've been a bit of a party pooper, but none of these things (or in the Tips&Tricks topic) are actually stuff you couldn't know.
All of the functions are described in the manual. But of course a real man doesnt read that.

Well as far as I can gather, the armrest just slides forward by pushing it from the rear and the dash lights trick is also simple: Just press and hold the dimmer button and the dash light go off, apart from the speedo. I'm borrowing my mates' 159 on Friday to test all these hacks out and do some filming! Should be fun - I've got 9 hacks so far.
Make sure you lookup the official discription/scope of the functions in the owners manual, to prevent spreading false or partial information.
All of them are in there!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Also, regarding the lock button not closing all windows again, this was removed as a feature after a terrible tragedy in around 2006 / 2007, when a small boy was left in his car by the Mother with the engine running and he managed to get his head trapped in a closing window and was choked to death. Poor kid. After this, some manufacturers changed their systems to avoid it happening again. Thats why it only works on pre-2006/7 cars.
Nasty - poor kid... Don't know about those timescales though, my 2003 147 wouldn't do it either.

Looking forward to the vid - is it going to be pure tips and tricks as per your GT one, or you doing a review on the 159 also?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts