Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on making a short trip across the border at the weekend.

I'm staying at Slaley Hall near Hexham on Friday night then on Saturday morning I'll be driving up past Kielder Water before heading south west back down towards Gretna.

Is there anything I should do or see in that area on a typical cold, wet, bank holiday weekend?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Go see Fraser:confused:;)

P

·
0 Posts
If you fancy coming across as far as Kirkcudbright there's a classic car gathering at the harbour on the Sunday.

Usually very well attended and me, the Spider, Mr PG and his XJ6 will be there :thumbs:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to be home by Sunday morning. :(

P

·
0 Posts
That's a bummer :(

Erm....Just thinking about the towns you'll go through....most are only small and will be shut on a Sunday...

Are you following the A68 and coming across to the A7 at Hawick?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erm....Just thinking about the towns you'll go through....most are only small and will be shut on a Sunday...
That's alright, I'll be home by then. ;)

Are you following the A68 and coming across to the A7 at Hawick?
No I was planning on driving along the side of the reservoir then heading towards Newcastleton but I'm open to suggestion.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I'm planning on making a short trip across the border at the weekend.

I'm staying at Slaley Hall near Hexham on Friday night then on Saturday morning I'll be driving up past Kielder Water before heading south west back down towards Gretna.

Is there anything I should do or see in that area on a typical cold, wet, bank holiday weekend?
Stay in Slaley Hall it's braw.

Nice pool steam room sauna etc and a miles better breakfast than Heron in Blackpool.

Pomeo

P

·
0 Posts
Thats the way we come home from Kielder - it's a lovely run :D

It really depends what you're into Ros. There are monuments off that road - Hermitage Castle isn't far north of Newcastleton. The Cross Keys Inn at Canonbie used to be cracking for lunch, but I haven't been for ages.

At Gretna itself there's the factory outlet which seems to grow and grow, whether we like it or not :lol:

Smith's at Gretna Green is lovely for a meal, but expensive.

If it's just a nice drive I'd be tempted to follow this route:

from:Kielder to:Newcastleton to:Canonbie to:Chapelknowe to:55.032745,-3.116684 to:Gretna - Google Maps

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Monuments and castles are not really my thing. Food is, but I'm intending to fill my belly at breakfast time! :D

That route is more or less the one I had planned. :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Well if you get fed up and want some daft company Mr PG and I are just west of Annan. You'd be very welcome - great pub in the village :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's get pished!! :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You up for it? Come and stay with us if you want :D
I'd love to but like I say I need to be home for Sunday morning for fathering duties.

P

·
0 Posts
Mr PG is here and he's all set to empty the spare room :lol: Looks like you'd have a drinking buddy :lol:

No, I get it. Well, if ever you're by this way again, just give us a bell :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers PG. I really appreciate the offer. :)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow... you're able to pin point your procreation abilities to one specific day mate? :wow:
That's not what I meant and you know it. :headbang:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is Jockland always closed on Saturdays? :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts