·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting totally fed up with things that take ages to turn on. It seems
these days that nothing turns straight on but has to go through some kind
of warming up excercise .. computers .. mobile phones .. women .. light
bulbs .. digital radios ...... :mad:

When I were a lad, if you flicked a switch the device sprung into life, lights came
on right away (much safer), you dialled and it rang.

I am fed up having to spend my life waiting for these devices to get themselves
ready :rant: I'm ready, why can't they be :tut:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
have you tried using a blu ray player:lol: you need to give them a days notice to watch a film:lol:

im sick to death of these new bulbs, they are rubbish, they dont light anything up and take an age to not light anything up.

K

·
0 Posts
have you tried using a blu ray player:lol: you need to give them a days notice to watch a film:lol:

im sick to death of these new bulbs, they are rubbish, they dont light anything up and take an age to not light anything up.
Seconded. When I'm bursting for a pee, I want to have one now, not in ten minutes when the light finally decides to give me enough light so that I can see something to aim at.

H

·
0 Posts
Seconded. When I'm bursting for a pee, I want to have one now, not in ten minutes when the light finally decides to give me enough light so that I can see something to aim at.
I hear this a lot, and wonder what bulbs people are buying, because we've got the new energy saving bulbs all over our house now (except for a few oldies that refuse to die :mad:). The new ones are just as bright as the old, bright enough as soon as you switch them on, and they're at peak brightness within 10-20 seconds.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I hear this a lot, and wonder what bulbs people are buying... The new ones are just as bright as the old, bright enough as soon as you switch them on, and they're at peak brightness within 10-20 seconds.
+1 :confused: I'm not sure if I read somewhere that energy saving lightbulbs use more power to get them going. So its actually more cost effective to keep the things turned on.

·
Super Moderator
60,006 Posts
I am getting totally fed up with things that take ages to turn on. It seems
these days that nothing turns straight on but has to go through some kind
of warming up excercise .. women ..
Careful there Gibbo :tut: you'll be in the doghouse for that one :lol:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Stick a Maplin units consumed device in a socket and view standard filament agin' the electronic ones? Looks as if HST-D and me must buy the better Q ones from JL's I reckon, as they seem ok's to us? :):

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
We have a new house with low energy spotlights in the bathrooms - completely useless!

Can't be doing with living half my life in the gloom - had an electrician in and changed them to tungstens.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
We have low energy spotlights as well - compulsory in a new build. They are alright after about two minutes but really annoying when first turned on. What is a rip off is that although they are meant to be long life one went after 6 months - bloody things cost £12 each.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Energy saving bulbs also contain Mercury.

Really good for the environment that is, especially as most people will just throw them into landfill when they are knackered.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Energy saving bulbs also contain Mercury.

Really good for the environment that is, especially as most people will just throw them into landfill when they are knackered.

thats why there is the WEEE directive, cant throw lamps or gear away in rubbish anymore, it all has to be recycled ..... nightmare for us as electricians!

N

·
0 Posts
This is due to Greens.

The quick-on/standby function is being phased out of most bits
of kit because it uses 0.1W and this is deemed unacceptable by
climatechangeologists.

:rolleyes:

Have you all noticed you can get halogen versions of all your
favourite incandescent light bulbs now?

The EU directives on halogens are less stringent and aren't
being phased out as quickly as the old tungsten filament bulbs
so all the manufacturers are just slotting 240Vac halogens into
the old style bulbs. :thumbs: :lol:

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
thats why there is the WEEE directive, cant throw lamps or gear away in rubbish anymore, it all has to be recycled ..... nightmare for us as electricians!
Yeah we have special bins at work for WEEE products.

However I bet many people will still throw bulbs in the regular bin at home, either they cannot be bothered to recycle properly or they simply don't know how to get rid of them.

·
Registered
44,669 Posts
Got a modern digital, flat screen TV that takes forever to get a picture up :mad: I'm told the old valve TVs took almost as long to warm up :rant:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts