Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The English equivalent to the Giulia arrived in ‘73 in the form of the Dolomite Sprint.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
If I’m correct, the boxy Giulia’s low cD figure wasn’t beaten until... 1982, by the Audi 100. Cue can explain this better, but basically aerodynamic isn’t in the shape, it’s in the details.

The Audi 100 had that flush glazing. The Ford Sierra has that rounded shape. The Audi suffered from heat build up (plus lousy ventilation), while the early Sierras had that cross wind stability problem at speed; some Police forces refused to use them (remember when Neil Kinnock flipped his?)

not sure whether those two cars were ‘engineering aerodynamics’ (as aerodynamics was the fad at the time) or marketing aerodynamics.

I know Mercedes chewed over fitting flush glass when developing my car, but dismissed it; flush glass barely made a dent on the car’s cD figure (0.33 - not bad for an orthodox looking box. again, it’s the details), plus they had reservations over how durable the pins that locked the glass into place would be over time, and whether they would keep out wind noise. The glass was also easy to pop out for car thieves. So they decided against it.

of the Sierra’s cross wind instability, they said: Ford forgot that wind doesn’t just come to the front of the car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts