Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a fair few threads on AO about improving 156 brakes. Short of enormous expenditure on Brembo calipers or the like, it seems that theses mega Ferodo pads are the next best, and simplest option. But which ones? Considering the DS Performance road pads, as opposed to the DS 2500s, there appear to be two different types listed for the same model, as in this link:

Ferodo DS Performance Front Brake Pads ALFA ROMEO 156

FDS 1052 and FDS 1134. Both say they are for standard ATE calipers.

Anyone know the difference, or which is preferable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
FDS 1052 are for the vented fronts (which you have).
FDS 1134 are for the smaller solid fronts (which you don't have).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, David, but I deffo have un-vented discs. They are new, too. And I'm certain the old ones were the same, as are the rears.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Thanks, David, but I deffo have un-vented discs. They are new, too. And I'm certain the old ones were the same, as are the rears.
Are you sure you know what "vented" means...?

The solid fronts were only fitted to early 1.6TS, 1.8TS, 1.9JTD 8v.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Well, for the avoidance of misunderstanding, please enlighten me! :)
Solid are completely solid (all 156/147/GT rear discs are solid).

Vented are like two thin discs (one for each face) with a ventilation gap between them.

Completely different to drilled discs (which some people think = vented), you can get drilled solid discs & drilled vented discs.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Hmmm, if you have solid discs as David C has described, then you shouldn't! But then you'd need the correct calipers (I think) for the solid discs, which means you were given the wrong kit from the factory:rolleyes:

Not unheard of, as another recent thread chat proved.

Vented discs on the 1.9 JTD 16v are barely up to the job anyway, but solid discs? Gulp.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, David, that make it clear! I'll go out and have another look in a minute.

Right, front discs are definitely.... vented! :p

And you're right of course, Spider; the price is ridiculous. Even the genuine Brembo pads for my bike aren't that kind of money.

I've learnt something today, then.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Pads are always sold per axle set.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
By law brake pads can I only be sold in axle sets!!!

I taking my car down to spain next yeAr via the Millau bridge and im told some of the roads around there are amazing so I'll be looking at upgrading my brakes

First up will be new flexi lines, I supply stainless steel braided lines do it will be these I fit

My favourite pads are pagid rs 4 2 blue now they arnt a cheap pad

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only wondered cos a poster on another thread said

The prices on Bypartsbuy are for one disc, so remember to double the price quoted.

My opinion.....get the cheapest discs you can find and spend on the pads for the fronts, rears I use boggo standard pads. I spray the discs myself with VHT paint to stop them rusting (not on the braking surface obviously). I've had DS2500 pads twice now, they are very good but as mentioned above, they can squeal.
Not sure if they are still available? Where did you hear that VO2Max?

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
I only wondered cos a poster on another thread said
Discs are often priced each, but on the BuyPartsBy site the quantity automatically selected is now two by default.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys who've fitted these (or similar) pads: did you bother fitting them on the rear as well? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Ferodo DS Performance on the front of my wife's remapped 159 are great opads and no fade. rear are standard pads. Remember most rear brakes are limited in pressure because all the weight transfers to the front once you are pressing hard so the limiter prevents rear lock up. Cooking rear brakes on a road car would take a LOT of effort!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have DS2500 fitted on my front and rear brakes. They make lots of noise when cold and brake dust is rather bad. They do bite and provide rather good firm feel. Have not try other performance brake pads, no benchmarking hence cannot give much feedback. Way better than Tarox 112(entry pad) in terms of feel and braking power.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts