Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!!

Has anbody had to replace their thermostat on a 155 TS8v? If so, what was the reason? Was it easy?

Thanks

Oliver :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had mine replaced at last service because it never got any water temperature until I had been going along time. Also cabin heating was poor. Since then Car is warm well before I get to work (a journey of 7 or 8 mins) and the temp gauge goes upto just under 90 in about 3 or 4 mins, before it would take 20 mins or more.

Didn't do the job myself so couldn't tell you how difficult but cost was under £30 for part. The termostat is attached to the block on opposite end of engine to the cam change/oil cap and has serveral pipes going in going out so looks easy to get to.

hope this helps

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy, too,

I did a similar work to my friends 8V 2.0 TS, and I did it because the car wasn't heating up to normal operating temperature.

Changing of the thermostat was easy, however getting the air out was not. After few attempts, I consulted the owners manual :eek: . In Finnish version it said "Do not drain the system, filling requires Alfa Rmoe trained tecnician. " English versions seems to say "To get this operations carried out, contact exclusively Alfa Romeo technical service."

In real life it means that if you want to get the air out, you will have to fully understand the system. The you can start the hose job, which I did. :)

Get some extra 19mm (? if I remember correctly) hose and attach it to the thermostat (top outlet). Also add hose to the heaters hoses make sure that there is no upsidedown U-loop left in the system that could catch the air. Fill with water through these hoses, and finally when you've filled everything - quickly put the the original hoses back where they belong and make sure air doesn't get in.

I hope this brings any clarification, but the main point is: The cooling system does not circulate the air out itself. If you fail to get the air out you may blow your gasket or crack your head. frown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Nick!!

Did I read correctly? Did you say UNDER 30 quid? Damn things are the equivalent of 70GBP here!! May have to talk more..... I assume you bought new?

Thanks

Oliver.. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the Garage bill last night and the price excluding VAT and fitting was 22.90 GBPounds, not sure where they would have bought the part from as it's only a local backstreet garage. I presume with the 8 valve being an alfa designed engine that no fiat part will fit.

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI NICK

IT IS THE SAME AS THE 164 TS. I'm not sure what Fiats it might fit (Chroma?). I trust it was new? Would you be keen on sourcing one for me? I guess it would weigh about a pound for sending by airmail. No problem if ya can't! :)

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep - the buggers get covered in limescale from the water and then don't fully close any more, so the engine takes ages to warm up (water is still sent to the radiator).

The 'Stat in my V6 cost £15 at a dealer (plus another £2 for the gasket you should also replace at the same time) and it's paid for itself already (the fuel consumption is 3-5 mpg better as the engine switches the "choke" off more quickly). Recommended!

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ralf!

Thanks for the info. 15Quid sounds a LOT better than the 70 asked here!! I want one from there!!! Anybody????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Oliver

Send me a PM with your chassis number and I'll see what can be done, check prices etc :D

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Oliver

Called the dealer just now, £25.72 for thermostat and housing that comes with it, I get 10% discount so it will be a bit cheaper. Guess postage shouldn't be more than about a fiver.

Do you still want it? I've ordered it but can cancel if you change your mind.

wrinx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts