Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
My GTV 2.0TS is not coming up to temperature most mornings where it's so cold outside although sometimes does when I go home so I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck open. Popped into my local motor factors today to pick one up and they are nearly 40 quid as it's a complete unit including the housing. I know in the grand scheme of things that's not a great deal of money but when I was expecting it to be less than a tenner it was a bit of a shock!
So, in an effort to be a tight git, has anyone had a similar problem and managed to free up the thermostat or am I waisting my time?
Many thanks and regards
Gareth

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Just buy a new one.

You were fooling yourself thinking it would only be £10 ... :cheese:

Take a look how much the Diesel thermostats are, that will put your £40 into perspective...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The part still costs £40 though :)
That is true and not my point

It all depends if the OP was planning on having it fitted or doing it by himself.
If the former there is a labour charge.
If the latter it was a guide to making it easier to do if not be done before
Alan

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Use a new 'stat. Just buy a good quality one (OE, or Facet etc.) and then make sure your coolant is always 50% distilled water and 50% anti-freeze mix. Running the max possible strength coolant (50%) will prevent corrosion of the new 'stat ... and using distilled water will keep any limescale and crud from gumming it up.

That new 'stat should last 7 years or more.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Convince yourself its faulty first... a phase 1 TS only goes needs to go up to just above the 80 degrees (unmarked line)... later TS's go up a tiny bit further, I understand.

Another test is to start the engine from cold and wait until the engine warms up with your hand on the top radiator pipe. When hot, the thermostat should open "suddenly" and you'll feel the hot water come down the top radiator pipe. Takes quite a lot of time waiting though (5 minutes or so)

TS takes ages to warm up anyway, is your journey less than 10 minutes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem with that test though is I suspect it's stuck open so unless I sit there for 20 minutes waiting for it to warm up I'm not going to know.
Anyway, time to get back into the freezing cold Alfa and go home!!
Thanks guys. I think I'll just change it at the weekend.
Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
If you have no heating, then that is a sure sign the stat is stuck open.

Unless your heating system is also fu**ed...!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
transforms the car into something you can live with doesnt it, warm cabin no condensation on the screen ooohhhhhhhhh yeah

·
Registered
96 Posts
transforms the car into something you can live with doesnt it, warm cabin no condensation on the screen ooohhhhhhhhh yeah
This evening its sorting out why no rear screen effect. No fuze in the holder but something is stuck in there. Got some fuses at the weekend so its head down in the footwell this evening. Then time with a multimeter maybe if its more than just previously blown fuze (something must have caused the fuze to blow).

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
yes there are lots of posts about this problem and lots of memebers either make the changes to the HRW or decide not to use it at all or risk burning out the box itself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts