Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to replace the thermostat on my 164, the inevitable happened and I snapped a bolt:mad: .
Just wanted to ask if anyone has used one of the "easy-off" reverse self-tapping bolt remover kits and if so, are they any good? I've got the car booked in for a service in a couple of weeks time, so if push comes to shove I'll just wait for it to be done then.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..can't help you much pete, but i had bother changing a thmostat recently myself because of a seized bolt. after a week of penatrating spray and whatever we ended up buying more parts underneath, which was pretty pricey, and this is what your mechanic will likely do. so i suppose the bolt remover kit is worth a shot..

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
I have used those Easy-out kits and to be honest if the bolt is so tight that it has snapped off when you tried to undo it you are unlikely to shift it with an Easyout. Your best bet would be to drill out the remains of the bolt and re-tapp the hole. the last thing you need is a snapped easy out down the center of the bolt as you won't be able to drill that.

I am not sure if the stat bolts are M6 or M8 but you will need to drill down the bolt with the correct tapping size drill which will be 5mm if it is M6 or 6.8mm if it is M8 then use the correct Tap.

Simon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the info guys. The bolt is M7 (typical, not even a common size!) so I've gone and got a tap/die set with a 7mm tap. Will have fun trying to drill out the old bolt and stick a new one in. Oh well, car had been running well lately, so I guess I was due a PITA job!:D

W

·
0 Posts
symonh2000 said:
I have used those Easy-out kits and to be honest if the bolt is so tight that it has snapped off when you tried to undo it you are unlikely to shift it with an Easyout..
Agreed, I don't have much faith in them....I felt I was going to snap the easy out so not much good to me!

The old fashioned way of drilling out with some accuracy worked a treat :D

wrinx

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It's a bigger job but can you take the housing it's bolted to off the engine and then apply some heat to the casting and try to get the bolt out that way? IF not, as has been said, drill & re-tap but it's true they are M7s - fine pitch as well if I'm not mistaken!

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
I think a standard M7 uses a 1mm thread pitch IIRC. So you will need to drill the hole to 6mm to start with.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yes, you're right. They're not fine pitch after all! I've just found one in the garage and they're M7 x 1.0 and are 55mm long - the threaded portion being 23mm long.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What sort of tapping paste do you recommend Chaps? Just asking,as I've recently bought some green stuff which doesn't have that distinctive sulphurous aroma of the traditional yellow product?

W

·
0 Posts
symonh2000 said:
I think a standard M7 uses a 1mm thread pitch IIRC. So you will need to drill the hole to 6mm to start with.
Bit dangerous imho, if you're not 100% accurate then you'll remove some of the thread area.

I would try a 5mm or so, the old bolt sides should be relatively easy to remove after and re-tapping may not be necessary.

wrinx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts