Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help, please... I'm currently not getting up to temperature (90) in my JTD GT, but only under certain circumstances.
I can drive for an hour in slow moving traffic or at idle and the temperature gauge on the dash will reach maybe 60, but as soon as I start to drive normally the gauge will go up. If I keep up the normal driving, accelerating, higher rev motorway/A road etc then it will eventually get to 90 and doesn't go above that. But as soon as I stop putting load on the engine or using the revs range the gauge drops and it will drop right to less than 1/4 mark under some circumstances (engine still running obviously).

The classic thermostat case is that the guage doesn't reach 90, but it will - sometimes. Is the water pump failing to circulate unless the engine in using the revs?

Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need a new stat. your's is in the early stages of failing
I don't think it's as simple as that.
Normally they will allow the engine to reach temperature at idle (although slowly) but when driving on a motorway the temp drops, which is the opposite of what I am experiencing.
I turned the heater off this morning on my way to work and the temperature behaved perfectly normally, rising to just under 90 and staying there no matter what type of driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts