Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

I just chnaged my thermostat on my my JTS as I the temperature was always low and I had low MPG. That all appears to be sorted.
However, I went to move off yesterday for the first time and the clutch was juddering when I changed gear. As the gearbox is below the thermostat i presume the drained coolant has landed on it. However how can that cause the clutch to slip?? The clutch linkage might be there I suppose? I am tempted to poor warm water in the area to removed the coolant, as coolant doesn't evaporate. Or carb cleaner? The problem does near enough disapear when the car warms up though.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Vendor
45,832 Posts
Brake/clutch cleaner is what you need. There is a rubber bung you can remove to get access to the bellhousing.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i said water i should've said coolant. would that still evaporate?
Normally no it doesnt, well it does, eventually but takes bloody ages. What you need to imagine is the clutch does get warm and it helps burn it off. My adding brake/clutch cleaner or carb clean that helps the process. Well I found it did! Stupid idea having a hole under the thermostat anyway and the rubber bung can just fall out!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the cure if it doesn't stop?am I causing damage by driving it?
It will stop, have faith! And no there is no damaged being caused its just causing the plate to slip a bit, just mean you can kanagroo a bit at the start of a journey. Trust me it was much worse in the winter when I had the problem!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
phew panic over, it went away after a few miles thank god. i was bricking it for a while there.thanks for the reassuring advice all, made me feel much better

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phew panic over, it went away after a few miles thank god. i was bricking it for a while there.thanks for the reassuring advice all, made me feel much better
Good to know all its all good. Don't be worried if randomly it does it again slighty tomorrow morning its either condensation from the coolent or a bit of left overs, but it will be miles better or fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ok cheers for the tip. i made a rubber bung for that hole out of an old car mat, at least that should keep any water and dirt out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts