Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 156 1.9 JTD M-Jet 16V Sportwagon 2004.

Hi All,

Swapping the stat over tomorrow - and wanted to check a couple of things before getting stuck halfway. I did the stat on my 2.4 JTD which was straight forward.

1) Once I've changed it - I'll need to top up the coolant. Are they generic - i.e. any basic coolant will be OK to top up with.

2) Are the 1.9 thermostats a straight swap - or is there more to it than that. The reason I ask is the new one arrived today and has a couple of hoses with it, that I'm not sure about. See pics below. Will it all be obvious once I start?

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
jubillee clips and you might as well replace coolant .remove rad bleed screw at top when your refilling

the awkward bit of job is removing heat exchanger bolt out of way so give yourself 2/3 hrs to complete

L

·
0 Posts
if the car has pink coolant you must top up with pink coolant, do not mix with green or blue. If blue green or clear you can use blue or green but not pink.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
swap the crappy plastic "T" section pipe for the metal one on your original thermostat

it was a few years ago i did my old 2.4 jtd.......battery and battery tray have to come out to give u room, and a lot of egr pipe work as it bolt over the thermostat using one of the bolts to mount it

and as said get a selection of jubilee clips as the crimped on ones cannot be used......my stat came with no pipes attached dont know why that one as???

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the swap over went really well and was very easy - took me 1 hour 20 min. :) :D

BUT.....the temp doesn't seem to rise above 80 degrees....I though it should get to 90. Is this a big deal? I want it to work properly. The old one barely got above 55º. I have tried swapping the sensor in the new unit for the one from the old...same result.

cheers

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Well the swap over went really well and was very easy - took me 1 hour 20 min. :) :D

BUT.....the temp doesn't seem to rise above 80 degrees....I though it should get to 90. Is this a big deal? I want it to work properly. The old one barely got above 55º. I have tried swapping the sensor in the new unit for the one from the old...same result.

cheers
you bled system ,go for a drive on motorway let car cool and check level:thumbs:

·
Registered
96 Posts
temp gauge ,confused

hi i am new to the 156 jtd.
i have just got a jtd 156 2001 model and it has a few little bits needs doing.
1st the header blower stopped working, but controls light up ok, might be a fuse or would it be
something esle:(
the temp gauge only moves slightly and movies up and down when driving some times,
would it need a new thermostat, or what do you think.:confused:
third and fifth gear are very close when changing when driving, is this normal.
need a bit of adivce please.
cheers
john.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the heater is now working,but i am replacing the thermostat any way, the needle movies only slightly
on the temp gauge, has to be the tat. does the gauge play up on the 156 any way. any thoughts on this any one.
the coolant hoses are warm, but not hot has i would like.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
the heater is now working,but i am replacing the thermostat any way, the needle movies only slightly
on the temp gauge, has to be the tat. does the gauge play up on the 156 any way. any thoughts on this any one.
the coolant hoses are warm, but not hot has i would like.
so you didnt do thermostat check thread as in post one???? you would have your answer if you did:rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
ok i did the thermostat check and the top hose got hot after 15 mins first thing this morning,
the bottom hose is cold, but the temo gauge is at o cold. so faultly gauge then.
what is my next move.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
ok i did the thermostat check and the top hose got hot after 15 mins first thing this morning,
the bottom hose is cold, but the temo gauge is at o cold. so faultly gauge then.
what is my next move.
bottom hose should be cold as radiator is doing job .......if you read it properly it states you should be checking top hose to see if it is still cold as engine is warming up but if it warms up as engine warms up it NEEDS REPLACING :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
bottom hose should be cold as radiator is doing job .......if you read it properly it states you should be checking top hose to see if it is still cold as engine is warming up but if it warms up as engine warms up it NEEDS REPLACING :rolleyes:
yes i agreed,the top hose stayed cold and got warm after 15 min,s, but why is the temp
gauge not moving , i do know that the rad is doing its job. the tat is also ok. :rant:
should i replace the temp gauge?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
yes i agreed,the top hose stayed cold and got warm after 15 min,s, but why is the temp
gauge not moving , i do know that the rad is doing its job. the tat is also ok. :rant:
should i replace the temp gauge?
you nees to check what temp sensor is sending gauge only way is with alfadiag or fiatecuscan

·
Registered
96 Posts
John - I have a spare sensor should you need.
thanks mate, just a up date on the temp gauge.
i drove 70 miles on the motorway to day and i checked the coolant hoes and the top hose from the tat is hot , but the other hose going to the bottom of the rad is still cold. can that be right.
the temp gauge by the way does not move at all.
will the sensor fit a 01 2.4 jtd, and thanks again for the offer, i will get the car on the computer first and see what is happing and i will get back to you.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts