Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first jobs I did when I got the car, 2 years ago, was to change the T-stat and the temperature then sat at a nice steady 90 on the gauge. The stat seems to be failing again as the temp doesn't stay constant. I will change it again but would like something with a bit of longevity this time. Any recommendations for brand or supplier?

Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I would go for a genuine Alfa one if you can get one. The original on my Twinnie GTV lasted 16 years from new which works out at about tuppence ha’penny a month at £50 for a new one. Failing that, I’d get an after market one from any of the main indys like Alfashop, Alfaworkshop, Autolusso etc. They all trade on their well deserved reputations and don’t sell crap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Autolusso supplied one has been fine, although its only been in a year. As an aside, I find my V6 sits at around 80degrees on the gauge when cruising, and moves up to 90 in traffic before fans kick in. It does this regardless of outside temperature. I initially swapped the thermostat because of this and it made no difference. I’ve always thought a bit of variability was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nelly and ArchAlfa. Yes, mine moved a bit like you described, ArchAlfa but is now a lot more erratic and dropped quite a bit when out on the open road the other night. (probably 70 on the gauge) I know it was cold weather but it should still keep the engine at a good temperature.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought one from Totally Alfa as it was described as OEM. It arrived today so I have fitted it and now have a nice steady temp gauge again.

The good thing about re-doing jobs that I have done before is that I now know what I'm doing, I know which tools I need, and all the screws and bolts are easy to remove having been copper-greased last time round. It took about 15 mins.

The old one was definitely knackered, the centre pin was adrift and the valve not seating properly:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ps. I'm glad I did it yesterday and went for my test drive in the sunshine! (For future readers, there is storm Ciara today, a day later, - very windy and wet :rolleyes: )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts