Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to AO forum, but have been trawling for a couple of weeks now.

Having just bought my first Alfa 51 plate 2.4JTD Sportwagon (111k), I thought I had to tell you all of the exploits on changing the thermostat. My car had been running at about 65C - and as a consequence was quite hesitant when accelerating. I'd also read that as it was running cold, it was likley that the engine management system would run the engine rich to try to make up the temperature loss. Time for a new stat!

What a b****** of a job!

Despite reading up on all the reports here, this was not a straight forward a job as I had read. Didn't help that I'd also bought the wrong stat :rolleyes: Thank you to Alternative Auto's for coming to my rescue - fantastic assistance and super-fast delivery.

Job was much easier with battery removed, but it was the EGR line intercooler situated behind/under the stat that caused all the problems. The bottom stat bolt had the bracket for this unit on top of it - and just getting it off was a nightmare.

The job did get done, but even with a good friends well stocked tool cupboard it still took about 7 hours!!!!! :mad:

The car now runs at 80C (as per the elearn manual), moving up to 90C when ticking over. The fan kicks in at 92C. Need a good long run now to really challenge it. First impressions are good. The car seems to have lost its hesitancy when accelerating.

Now onto the next job.............next post!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:lol: ... yes the 2.4JTD is a pig of a job compared with the other 156's ... although I managed to get mine done in 4 hours!!! ... it took my about 15 mins to get all the pipes off and all but one of the bolts undone ... the EGR heat exchanger took about another 3 hours!!! I actually bent the bracket out of the way to extract the stat in the end!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I'm glad it wasn't just me!!!

I too had to bend the intercooler bracket togain access to the stat stud behind it - getting the rear studs out on the intercooler was just as much a nightmare as the front!!

When putting it all back together, I took the opportunity to block up the EGR on the manifold.

Not sure if it was the stat change or blocking the EGR up, but the change in performance has been huge!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:lol: maybe we should start a poll to see how long it took each of us :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I once tried to do mine, was at it for about 45 minutes before realising I had the wrong thermostat...ended up not changing it but I've noticed since I've had the clutch replaced my car's running hotter (85 degrees) so I'm not complaining :D

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
i'm lucky - the 20V engine avoids the need to remove the EGR heat exhanger. Done in a couple of hours, including removing the battery and tray and finding some jubilee clips in the shed :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi

Hour and 50 minutes for mine and yes i bent the bracket out of the way and bent it back after, 85 degrees now - hoorah

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
got to be a record 1h 50m i spent that long swearing at it
Whereas I spent that long putting plasters on my "ripped to shreads" knuckles :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
To be fair i looked at all the issues with doing this on the forum, scribbled them down, had a look a week before carrying out the work while cross referencing my notes, i only removed the battery not the tray which saved some time and really tried to be patient, yes i did let out some serious expletives and scaped the skin but completed in genuine 1 hour 50 mins

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Thermostat

Just a tip, there is a few different stats for a 2001 (Y plate) car. The engine in mine was a 150bhp and a different stat. Had a lot of trouble finding one until i asked for a 2002 stat with extra hoses. Here's a pic. http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/46822435-302-1-800.jpg

Took a few hours for mine too.

Battery out
Tray out
Air intake hose off
All themostat hoses disconnected
Loosened couplings on the intercooler
Undid EGR bracket at back of engine (nightmare use a ratchet spanner 13mm)
Undid bolts on stat housing
Turned the EGR away from thermostat downwards (with help from a screwdriver level and wack!)
Removed stat and reverse. Discarded ALL hose clips and replaced with jubilee clips.

I'm an amateur and it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had the easier one to do on a 10v JTD, 30 min to take off followed by a trip to halfords for some new jubile clips and 30 min to put the new one on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
my 2.4jtd 10 valve has never ticked over at above 60 degrees, but it has always run perfectly. would it still be recommended to change the thermostat?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
my 2.4jtd 10 valve has never ticked over at above 60 degrees, but it has always run perfectly. would it still be recommended to change the thermostat?
Yes. Without a doubt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
what benefits would i expect? i've never driven another alfa 2.4 (other than years ago when i was looking to buy one) so have no experinece of one that runs hotter.....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yes. Without a doubt.

maybe not ... it might just be the temp sender ... check out the "the definitive thermostat thread)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
what benefits would i expect? i've never driven another alfa 2.4 (other than years ago when i was looking to buy one) so have no experinece of one that runs hotter.....
all alfa s and all manufacturers have internal combustion engines and same rules apply for thermostats ,only difference is diesels (80) run cooler than petrol (90):thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
all alfa s and all manufacturers have internal combustion engines and same rules apply for thermostats ,only difference is diesels (80) run cooler than petrol (90):thumbs:

Sorry ... nope ... the stat on the JTD starts to open at 82deg (according to eLearn anyway) ... it is true that diesels produce less heat, but the hotter the engine is the easier fuel combusts, therefore you get more complete combustion and therefore more power :thumbs: ...

both petrol and diesel should run at about 90(ish) as that's a good comprimse between performance and the engine blowing itself up :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts