Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi been having little probs with temp latley .Morning commute bown A19 car warmes up ok bit slowly sits at 90 when i slow down or pull off on to side roads it drops a little to say 85 or so them goes back up. Today caught in traffic jam before it had reached 90 wwas in it for about 45 mins and it took nearly 35 mins to reach 90 when it did it stayed there,do you think thermostat is stuck open a little .Just read about how to check it will do that tonight on way home :confused:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Yes it's the thermostat on it's way out. Mine is doing the same at the moment; motorway or A-road driving is fine, around town it struggles to get to 90.

I have a replacement thermostat - just need to find time to change it, would be interested to know how difficult it is.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi bobda is supposed to be an easy job its been done by people on here with no experince at working on a car .Where did you get the thermostat from and how much did you pay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Simple test, is to start car from cold and see what temp the top hose starts to get warm, if its more or less straight away then your stat is stuck open, if it takes the gauge to hit around 80 then i'd say it was fine.

Mine generally stays at 80 but rises slightly when accelerating and drops slightly when idling if I have the blowers on warm.

Top hose cold till 80 ish then warms up :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hi been having little probs with temp latley .Morning commute bown A19 car warmes up ok bit slowly sits at 90 when i slow down or pull off on to side roads it drops a little to say 85 or so them goes back up. Today caught in traffic jam before it had reached 90 wwas in it for about 45 mins and it took nearly 35 mins to reach 90 when it did it stayed there,do you think thermostat is stuck open a little .Just read about how to check it will do that tonight on way home :confused:
did u have aircon on?
i find that it affects the engine temp in winter quite alot as opposed to just using the normal heater

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I don't know the specific temps for the diesel.. but thermostats usually begin to open around 82C and the temp should then hover around 86C. If you get stuck in slow moving traffic it may rise to 92C which is when the fan kicks in. If it drops back down past 82C when you're moving on the open road, then the 'stat is sticking.

Having A/C on cools the coolant in the heater, so it would take longer to warm up.. but running with A/C on also puts more load on the engine, which tends to warm it up. You won't notice a huge length of time difference though..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
hi bobda is supposed to be an easy job its been done by people on here with no experince at working on a car .Where did you get the thermostat from and how much did you pay
I got the 'stat from Alternative Autos, it was £65 delivered.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thermostat seems to be fine in the car but the fan is not kicking in. The car does not go over 90 degrees and just sticks at 90 CONSTANTLY. The high speed fan works when the heating/AC is on but has not kicked in otherwise! Fan seems to be operating too so I am a bit stuck?????

Is it just the case that the car is not getting hot enough to warrant the fan kicking in? I used to have a GT and the temp would stay at 85 and the high speed fan would kick in at around 90 - I just do not understand what is going on! Even when I have been thrashing it up the motorway, the car just sticks at 90. Haven't really been stuck in much traffic or left the car idling mind........

·
Registered
543 Posts
So nothing to worry about for the mo? Did try it hooked up to scan and fans did kick in. Was worried about it being the stat?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
read this thread (mine) as I believe it gives some insight into possibilities
Not really.

I have read the temps on scan and car is not GTV but a GT. All temps seem to be fine and within tolerances. If they were not, I would change the stat but the gauge sticks at 90 and the temp has never risen enough for the fans to kick in (taking the readings that many threads and Dave specifies above).

I suppose just wait and see if it goes bang!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed mine in a fiat jtd, almost identical. Its not to difficult,but you do have to remove a few bits and pieces to get to it. It can take a while. It also has 5-6 hoses attached to it with those pressed type clips. Buy a selection of different size jubilee clips before you start and dont forget the anti freeze. The system bleeds ok,with a couple of bleed screws in the system and drain screws on the radiator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts