Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on changing the thermostat on my 2002 150hp 2.4 JTD today. Alas, on taking the battery out, I see there are more hoses on the old one than the replacement I'd bought :cry:
Thought I'd post this to warn anyone planning the same job, pictures of original and replacement parts attached.
BTW how do you remove the original hose clamps :confused:
Looks like a trip to the dealers to get the right part and hope for good weather next weekend.
Cheers,
Simon_S

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
You aure it'snot right? some angles are different but it looks very similar...although it's difficult to see exactly where the pipes come from.

Those clips just need a screwdriver through them and twist, replace with jubilees.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice on the clips!
There is one big difference - the hose at the bottom of the picture is attached to the bottom of the 'stat housing by a spigot. Whether this is a connection for the coolant or just supports the join in the hose, I don't know. The replacement has an additional connection at the front too, hidden behind the big hose on the left of the picture.
Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have started this job!
What a f***ing nightmare! No problems removing the hoses but to get the thermostat off you have to remove the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler is secured by an M6 extension to one of the thermostat bolts and also has a bracket fitted to the back of the engine. You have to remove another bracket to get the EGR cooler bracket off. This is the best bit - the EGR cooler fits outside the thermostat bolt but inside the hose connections on the bottom of the thermostat so it's incredibly difficult to get the cooler off the thermostat bolt! How the hell did they put it together in the first place :confused:
Anyway, sussed it out in the end, didn't break or lose or forget to replace anything and the car's back together again. Running temperature stabilises at about 80-90degC instead of 50-60 so mission accomplished :)
The old 'stat isn't stuck open but the spring holding it closed is much weaker than the new one's.
I seriously would not have bothered if I'd known how bloody (literally, my hands are shredded) difficult it would be. No doubt someone will reply with a trick that makes it all easy :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Simon_S

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have started this job!
What a f***ing nightmare!
i was expecting it to be a little bit more straight forward aswell..should have known:rolleyes:
No problems removing the hoses but to get the thermostat off you have to remove the EGR cooler.
that was the point where i started laughing
The EGR cooler is secured by an M6 extension to one of the thermostat bolts
broke off 6mm extension to get at bolt head with a spanner ;)
and also has a bracket fitted to the back of the engine. You have to remove another bracket to get the EGR cooler bracket off. This is the best bit - the EGR cooler fits outside the thermostat bolt but inside the hose connections on the bottom of the thermostat so it's incredibly difficult to get the cooler off the thermostat bolt! How the hell did they put it together in the first place :confused:
bent bracket in order to wiggle out stat once hose clips released on egr.
i dont think these cars where designed to be kept going this long
Anyway, sussed it out in the end, didn't break or lose or forget to replace anything and the car's back together again.
well done i dont have that much patience
Running temperature stabilises at about 80-90degC instead of 50-60 so mission accomplished :)
The old 'stat isn't stuck open but the spring holding it closed is much weaker than the new one's.
I seriously would not have bothered if I'd known how bloody (literally, my hands are shredded) difficult it would be. No doubt someone will reply with a trick that makes it all easy :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Simon_S
i just covered 300 miles this weekend..the car feel a lot healthier and the mpg is up:D not surprising now its 20 degrees warmer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts