Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from 1500+ miles round trip to Scotland with a GT86 and BMW 650i and everyone was astonished at how well the QV handled and generally coped with the roads out there, based on negative magazine reviews and then came to a debated agreement that the QV really was the overall winner of the trip!

Words of the drivers:
"BMW couldn't handle" - couldn't keep up with 86 and QV comfortably round the twistes
"Gt86 needs more power" - doesn't have the pull of the QV

Only issue I had was a little back ache from the Sabelts on a coupe of occasions.

Obviously the QV wasn't any where close to the 650 in terms of power and probably wasn't as fun to drive round the twistes as the 86, but it just handled everything so well. Even climbed a cliff road easily, providing great fun, where as the GT86 was left struggling spinning its wheels with not enough low down torque. It was the most practical, finished the journey on 42.4 mpg and even fitted in next to these coupes in looks.

Guess I'm just trying to say how under rated and overlooked the MQV is... This trip has made me appreciate my car even more. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Judging by the nature of the complaints against the other cars I'd say the results don't really point so much at the MiTo being the better car but perhaps you the better driver quite frankly. The 650i should have destroyed both cars (and costing more than both the others put together it should) and the GT86 owner needs to re-evaluate his car purchasing decisions if he buys a naturally aspirated RWD car designed to get its back end out on demand and then complains it has no low down grunt and wheel spins a lot.

You should clearly use this to your advantage in the bragging and state "I had the worse car and was still quicker than you 2 as such you should give me your cars as you clearly can't drive them" :cheese:

I somewhat doubt they'll hand their keys over though. :D

Glad you had a nice trip though. Take some nice pics? Very scenic place, it'd be a crime if you didn't take pics of the cars.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Judging by the nature of the complaints against the other cars I'd say the results don't really point so much at the MiTo being the better car but perhaps you the better driver quite frankly. The 650i should have destroyed both cars (and costing more than both the others put together it should) and the GT86 owner needs to re-evaluate his car purchasing decisions if he buys a naturally aspirated RWD car designed to get its back end out on demand and then complains it has no low down grunt and wheel spins a lot.

You should clearly use this to your advantage in the bragging and state "I had the worse car and was still quicker than you 2 as such you should give me your cars as you clearly can't drive them" :cheese:

I somewhat doubt they'll hand their keys over though. :D

Glad you had a nice trip though. Take some nice pics? Very scenic place, it'd be a crime if you didn't take pics of the cars.
Yeah obviously as a whole the cars are all very different and the mito isn't the better car, but being the cheapest and unlikely in the performance sector, it more than gave them a run for there money especially when the comments I got from people were "the Alfas a bit out of its depth", but we weren't racing and the 650i does destroy on straight line speed and class, its just a heavy lump.

I'm gonna get the keys for the 86 for sure...

Thanks, yep took lots of pics and some non hd go pro vids, so I'll see how they came out. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like a great road trip. :thumbs:
Heard a lot of good things about the GT86.
Can't imagine the fuel bill for the 650 ! Great mpg on the QV.
If you had a choice on the Sabelts - would you get them again ?
Looking forward to the pics & videos.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a great road trip. :thumbs:
Heard a lot of good things about the GT86.
Can't imagine the fuel bill for the 650 ! Great mpg on the QV.
If you had a choice on the Sabelts - would you get them again ?
Looking forward to the pics & videos.
Yeah well all the mags are raving about the gt86. Certainly looks striking and kids think its a ferrari, just waiting for a chance to drive it.

Yes i would! Sabelts look stunning and are actually very comfortable, even on a 6+ hour drive.
I think my slight back ache was due to the fact we were taking so many corners at some speed, so as with most seats, you move around in the seat and naturally tense to try stop this. I wanted to get a CG lock before the trip, but never did. They do cost though...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Surprised how big the Mito looks next to the 650 - I had imagined the BMW would dwarf the Alfa.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Wasn't that expensive to do really, H&R springs make it sit better than the eibachs (i think anyway) and i wouldn't say its ruined the ride quality at all. It feels sporty but in a good way :thumbs: mine only catches the speed humps near my house but they catch a standard height MiTo anyway as they are a weird angle to the road (bit of a dip then the speed hump so its like dring into a V shape :() its the plastic trim underneath that catches so it just moves. Its definatley not the bumper or id swap back to standard :lol:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wasn't that expensive to do really, H&R springs make it sit better than the eibachs (i think anyway) and i wouldn't say its ruined the ride quality at all. It feels sporty but in a good way :thumbs: mine only catches the speed humps near my house but they catch a standard height MiTo anyway as they are a weird angle to the road (bit of a dip then the speed hump so its like dring into a V shape :() its the plastic trim underneath that catches so it just moves. Its definatley not the bumper or id swap back to standard :lol:
There's killer road humps where I live and if I have a full car, I scrape them at standard height. The bumper sticks a long way out from the wheels is the issue. Still tempted though, but the plan is spacers first. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
"The 650i should have destroyed both cars"

---
Definitely in a straight line - but on the twisties It would get left behind.
I've driven a 650 and it's a great car (Performance wise) but...
Too much power with too much weight leads to rubbish road holding.
I can't speak for the 86 as I've not driven one but on those kind of roads - I'd take the QV first. The 650 would be last on my list!

Good to see you had fun on some great roads with great scenery Mitomatt!
The highlands are stunning.
:thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts